“Expensive but good value” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Restaurant Atelier im Teufelhof

Restaurant Atelier im Teufelhof
Ranked #4 of 617 Restaurants in Basel
Cuisines: Swiss, European, International, Contemporary
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Altstadt
Description: The restaurant Atelier underlines the art and gallery orientation of the cultural guesthouse «Der Teufelhof Basel». Being the French word for an artist’s workshop, an atelier is the workplace of a creative person. Our guests staying in the restaurant Atelier experience a glimpse behind the scenes of daily life in kitchen and service. Our offer comprises state-of-art global cuisine, mainly with Swiss and regional products which we purchase from suppliers and producers who we know personally. The emphasis is placed on manual skills - everything we offer is «handmade».
Jerusalem, Israel
“Expensive but good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

It is always a shock to see the prices in a good Swiss restaurant.
Once we got over it we enjoyed a good meal in a very nice atmosphere.
Everything we ordered was good.
Don't expect anything fancy or inspirational , just good food and good service.

• Visited July 2013

Boulder, Colorado
“Fresh seasonal fare, a bit expensive for this American but also a lovely splurge”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

Ate here our first night in Basel as we were staying at the guesthouse upstairs. Wonderful service in English & German with market fresh selections greatly appreciated by this market grower!! Service was excellent.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Lausanne, Switzerland
“Excellent food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

We went there to celebrate my man's birthday and we got a little jam bar as a surprise :-). The weather was nice so we sat outside and that was very nice. The menu does not have a lot of choice but it covers everything from meat to fish and vegetarian. They also have special menu for kids. I got the raviolis with lemon sauce and my bf asked for the pork dish. While he thought his dish was good but not fantastic, I can assure you that I never tasted better raviolis before!! Too bad I couldn't have more in my plate...For desert, we shared a desert farandole with miniature deserts. The full price for 2 adults and a kid with deserts and drink was 150 CHF. It might sound expensive but the quality was there and the service excellent. Highly recommend.

1 Thank paradisgourmand
Paris, France
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

We had reserved in advance for a business dinner during Basel fair. As we had walked by we noticed the chef had the Michelin star on the door, so we said why not.

Unfortunately the inner space where we dined was quite noisey and we were put in a corner where the servers walked by all the time (this is very personal) and the floorboard next to my chair kept moving so I had this constant unstable movement while dining...

I was pleasantly surprise by the Beetroot-Champagne soup which was really good and I finished until the last drop. Unexpected combination but worked really well together. Plus for the quality price compared to the rest of the menu ot was a good choice.

However, the main dish (and most expensive!) was a Tagliatelle and Lobster, which I have to admit was extremely poor in presentation, lobster, and quality. First of all, I had 3 small pieces of lobster which was not enough to put onto the dish name, and secondly the pasta was visibly reheated on a frying pan quickly before serving. I was extremely disapointed by this dish and didn't even finish it, leaving me to feel ripped off.

I certainely wouldn't go back a second time... too deceiving for quality/price.
Too bad, because if the pasta was fresh and a bit more lobster, it would have been a fantastic dinner. (the Merlot was very good too)

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank gwen c
San Francisco, California
“One of Basel's best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

The restaurant is in a spacious airy room on the ground floor of Der Teufelhof hotel. Our Sunday lunch there was exceedingly pleasant from start to finish, commencing with smoked sturgeon, and thinly sliced pink veal, followed by a vegetarian ravioli and an excellent fillet of beef sourced from Ireland (why is Irish beef so superior?). Service was cordial and efficient. The extensive wine list includes some really interesting selections, such as several offerings from Bandol that we had never seen elsewhere. I would go back any time, and look forward to trying out their other venue, Bel Etage, in the same hotel.

1 Thank NinthCircle