“Disappointing- arrogant host”

Jay's Indian Restaurant
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Vorstädte
Description: ABOUT At Johann by Jay which has relocated to St. Johanns-Ring 34, we offer delicious, fresh and authentic Indian food in a unique setting that combines European styling with Asian hospitality! When I first decided to open Jay's Indian Food back in December 2000, I wanted to create a new dining experience in Indian cuisine. With the opening of my new restaurant my first priority was to get away from the flock wallpaper and dim lighting that you would normally associate with the local curry house, and create a clean bright image, whilst keeping a warm and friendly feel. Equally as important is the service our customers can expect when dining with us, together with the general ambience of the restaurant. We want to create a pleasant informal atmosphere whilst retaining the highest standards of service.
Reviewed May 23, 2014 via mobile

I've been there for a dinner with my wife. We've expected to find a nice, elegant restaurant with good food and first class service. Unfortunately, it was far from that...food is below average, heavy, quite expensive and not really..indian. Also, there are not many options in the menu...Service is just...whatever. And host was into my wife. There is very little space between the tables and you are basically forced to assist to the conversations of the ones around you, this giving you the feeling of a school mess rather than of a top restaurant. Briefly, this restaurant is a noisy place with unimpressive food and host- a big waste of time and money!

9  Thank Baburl
Beth M, Public Relations Manager at Jay's Indian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2014

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. It is a shame that you didn't enjoy our restaurant as we have been complimented often on the cosy and relaxed nature of our ambience. The host whom you speak of was our restaurant manager who is no longer working with us - not Jay the owner. We make a point of offering a small selection of carefully curated dishes as we do not wish to overwhelm our guests with an intimidating array of options.

We hope you will visit us again to give us a chance to showcase our proven excellence in service and indian cuisine.

Reviewed May 18, 2014

Eight of us went to Jays to celebrate a birthday.

We selected Oliver's dinner menu, which gives you a taste of each appetizer and each main course.

The food was delicious... Each dish had its own unique flavours.

The staff were attentive and friendly...
Jay was amusing and ever watchful of the service...
Great experience will definitely return.

1  Thank mermaid0303
Reviewed March 26, 2014

Jay' s is not a typical Indian restaurant, it is Indian fusion cuisine that will surprise you, occident and orient mixed into wonderful aromas. I was a bit reductant at the beginning but after the appetizer I just let the rest of the dishes amaze me! it is a great option for a dinner with a small group and for Basel prices, quite OK.

The restaurantr it' s small and the decoration a bit weird but you will find it again, something different. Better to reserve since it tends to get crowded on weekends. Be prepare to spend CHF 20-50 p.p. I would say.

Not a lot of parking opportunities in the area, better to go by tram if you have the chance.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

A contemporary Indian restaurant with none of the decor or extensive menu of the traditional Indian restaurant. A nice bar but we went straight through to the table. The short menu loomed inviting. We were given an 'amuse bouché' (can't possibly be the right phrase here) of cauliflower pieces in a mild spicy sauce. We then shared a tray of starters - prawns, a little vegetable pie, and chicken pieces. I then had an 'all in one dish' which was a house special - a mild chicken dish with ginger, rice, dal and a small vegetable curry. I'm not a big eater and portions were small but very delicious. Finished with a nice mug of chai while my colleagues enjoyed coffee and complimentary grappa. The owner was a young guy who was very friendly as we're all the staff, and called a cab for us when we ready to head out. Very enjoyable.

Reviewed March 21, 2014

today friday 21 march, this is my third visit to jay`s these duration i found today the most delicious than the last twice because there i saw two cooks 1st fat guy with glass and 2nd short guy with chef`s cap from the way to WC, due to my ex-girlfrind (she worked in service by jay`s)they prepare the food each every day fresh and i believe too because they don't have too much menus items like other restaurant and true its fresh. i don't don't believe the bellow comments which was lamb was bad, fish was uncooked and breads are old etc. as bellow mrgreek m i go to him every one has own taste of view and i agree too.
today i had Oliver`s special i like the most lamb, fish chicken. and my friend love veggie soo much, there were almost full guest, i loved the bar most with deem lights for goodnight shut really they have good location well atmosphere with great food.
this time i missed the mango kulfi.

1  Thank lüthi e