All reviewsfree shuttlethe busshuttle servicecasino attachedan early flightcity centrebusiness trippublic transporthotel guestsreception staffstayed here for one nightcomfortable roomsexcellent breakfastmodern hotelswitzerlandchfproximity
Reviewed October 13, 2017 via mobile

This hotel is in the direction of the airport and not actually AT the airport as the hotels at Gatwick or Athens are. It was a 26 CHF cab fare to get to the airport.

Location aside, the hotel itself is staffed with unpleasant and lazy workers who really don't know a thing about customer service.

The room is a nice size but the beds are uncomfortable (could have been from Ikea) and the temperature impossible to regulate.

Don't get excited by the casino attached: it was an extremely disappointing experience.

All in all, you are better off staying at the Radisson Blu in the city center.

Stayed: October 2017, traveled on business
Dimitris A, General Manager at Airport Hotel Basel, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you ever so much for taking the time to write your comment on TripAdvisor.

Surely the Airport Hotel Basel is not a Gatwick or Athens typical Airport Hotel, as both International Airports mentioned are 27.7 Miles and 26 Miles away from the cities respectively. Basel is also nowhere near the size of Athens or Gatwick cities (Crawley near Gatwick is about the same size as Basel).

Our hotel is located between the city of Basel (5km) and the Basel Airport (3km), which by comparing it with large cities is a stone throw away. About the taxi fair. You can choose to either use our free of charge shuttle bus service (takes 5min) or the Public Bus (Bus stop in 20 meters outside the hotel) which is also free of charge as we provide you with a Mobility Ticket which you can use with all public transportation free of charge. A taxi from you suggested Radisson Blu will cost you CHF 42 one way to the Basel Airport.

Our beds and mattresses are not from IKEA but honest said, I am not really sure if an IKEA bed or Mattress less qualitatively are. As for the temperature, please note that we are a CO2 neutral certified hotel, and with this you can only regulate your temperature in the room depending on the outside temperature. You cannot cool down the room to 18 degrees but you can adjust it to have a 21 or 22 degrees. That’s for cooling. Warming up the room (separate heating body under the window) has a limit of 26 degrees.

All in all I appreciate your recommendation to stay at the Radisson Blu in the city, this is a well-established international chain hotel, which will also set you back CHF 100 more for the night. Adding the taxi fair on top, you are looking for an expensive (depending who’s paying) stay in Basel.

Last but not least, I cannot understand your comment about my team colleagues. Checking the online comments in the past 8 years you can see that our Guests appreciate a) the friendliness, b) How clean the hotel is and c) the location. Should you have a specific complain about any member of my team, I would very much appreciate a direct email to me, so I can look into this personally. Generally speaking doesn’t help us improve.

Once again thank you for your time and hope to have the chance to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future, or when the Radisson Blu is fully booked.

Reviewed October 6, 2017 via mobile

Everyone was courteous and kind. Room spacious, clean, and modern. Unable to get shuttle from airport to hotel, but free bus service went smoothly. Shuttle service to airport was on time and very efficient.

Only downside was lack of options for food, hotel is located in industrial area. Only options were hotel restaurant, room service or snack at bar. Snack at bar had enough choices, but 12CHF for .75l water was ridiculous. But then again very typical for Switzerland.

Stayed: October 2017, traveled as a couple
Dimitris A, General Manager at Airport Hotel Basel, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2017

Dear Linda, thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay and share your experience. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our services and our modern rooms. Our shuttle service runs from and to the airport every day from 06.00 am until 10.00 pm. and it is available upon request at the reception. It is a convenient service that we provide to all of our guests. Our Hotel is located ideally very close to the airport (only 5 minutes), but as you also mentioned, you can use the bus service, which is free of charge for our guests, and in 10 minutes you can be in the city centre. We are sorry to hear that our menu (food) did not meet your expectations. Our prices, are indeed following the cost niveau standards in Switzerland. We would be very happy to welcome you back soon again.

Reviewed September 19, 2017

Just returned from 2 night stay in Basel. We chose this hotel due to its proximity to the airport (3KM) as we had a very early departure. Due to return early next year and we will again stay here, due to the exceptional customer service received by 2 male receptionists that were on duty in the afternoon of the 17th & 18th Sept, who dealt with the booking query very professionally. Its so easy to get into the city on the No 50 bus,which runs about every 7 mins, (& its free if you stay at the hotel!) that there is really no need to stay in the more expensive hotels in the city centre. Rooms are comfortable and spotlessly clean (just a little hot though)

• Stayed: September 2017, traveled as a couple
Dimitris A, General Manager at Airport Hotel Basel, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2017

Dear guest, thak you for taking the time to review your stay and share your experience. We are really glad that you enjoyed your stay and had a positive experience of our services and facilities. It is true that our hotel is ideally located very close to the airport but also close to the city centre. Public transportation is really convenient and you can get almost everywhere in the city. I will share your positive comment with my staff - it is a positive recognition for their work. Thank you for this opportunity. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed September 19, 2017 via mobile

Went for a sporting event as hotel was close by.
Picked up at airport by courtesy bus and room was ready on arrival even though we were early
Friendly and helpful staff and only 5 minutes on bus to town centre. Bus was free and stop right outside front door of hotel

Stayed: September 2017, traveled with friends

Dear John, thank you so much for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay and share your experience. We are glad to hear that you had a comfortable stay with us and you enjoyed our services and facilities. We will be really happy to welcome you back soon again.

Reviewed September 8, 2017

I got up this morning to catch a flight it was 520am, as i took the elevator to the lobby to get my bus to the terminal i was blinded by the reddest room i have ever been in. It was literally as if the entire lobby has been converted to the inside of some cellular model, blindingly red. The furniture was red, the bar was red, the light was red, everything in a kind of nightmarish way - was red. Why? Dunno. Either i am missing the design point or the design point is missing. Outside was not much better, all the signage and most of the building was bathed in a kind of red glow. At that time in the morning it was just too much for my eyes - although to be honest i dont know at what time of day it would be good for them.....

So what about this hotel - well Switzerland is expensive and it is not, so there is that going for it - although the $6 cans of soda in the vending machines and the $30 burgers try to make up for that.....

its comfortable in the same way as a basic skoda is comfortable, its well made, its very functional, like everything in Switzerland it is superb quality - see how the bedroom door closes versus and Americanbedroom door - the tolerances are much better, the shower is better than you would get in an American hotel, the quality of the light in the bathroom, just perfectly positioned, everything you need, and nothing you don't.

This hotel is a world away from your average American hotel - there is one towel in the bathroom (because you only need one towel), there are no minature toiletries because they are wasteful, there is a refillable tube of soap in both the bathroom and the shower. What they do, they do very well. Its the sort of place you should like, because you should feel good about the quality, the sensibleness of it all, but i dunno, it left me feeling a bit cold. It was just a little too close to a student halls of residence for me to be anything other than satisfied.

Oh - and they should lose the red - you might think its cool - but it is really not working.

• Stayed: September 2017, traveled on business
Dimitris A, General Manager at Airport Hotel Basel, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2017

Dear guest,

Rarely I read a comment of a Guest of ours, and I have the need to answer in a more “open” manner rather than professional one. I mean there is nothing to talk about the services and the quality of the hotel. You said it all by writing “The hotel is world away from your average American Hotel”. So let's stick to the sentimental part of your stay and lets talk about red. :)

When I was younger, I was carried to an Art Gallery for a “short” visit. Don’t ask why, the only Art I have known in my life are the Ancient Greek Sculptures I was staring at in my greek history books at school. Very comfortable way of falling asleep those days…Anyway in the Art Gallery I was introduced to a fact which obviously I didn’t know by then. The fact that interior design is Art. Wooww.. Coming back to the basics, we are glad that our Lobby is not made by an Artist and we are glad that the only “thing” sticking out is the colour Red. Which by the way is widely accepted by our guests. Of course you hear from time to time “I wish I was colour Blind” or “My karma is dead” but joke aside the compliments are by a thousand factor more than the negative comments. In your case I thank God you didn’t try the colour changing LED switch in your room as, yes you guessed it right, turns also red. :)

If I may express a personal opinion, only a short one as I do not want to steal the glory of your comment, I did have difficulties myself, coming in to work every morning facing the Reddest Red one have ever seen, but after a while I got used to it by wearing sun glasses. :)

I am just a bit surprised that red did not “hit” you when you checked in, unless the Front office as friendly as they are, did the trick with the dimmed light.

Anyway I hope you do visit again, if not soon then please note, we change our Lobby concept every 2-3 years. Anyhow I would very gladly drink a Beer with you if you wish to come back sooner or later.