“Enjoyable stay”

Ranked #17 of 51 Hotels in Basel
New Delhi, India
“Enjoyable stay”
Reviewed May 9, 2014

I stayed at the Airport hotel for 2 weeks and my stay for very enjoyable and comfortable, especially with the rooms being significantly bigger and better than a more-expensive hotel, located near the city center, in which I had stayed previously. I was initially skeptical about its location, but due to the frequent bus service (#50) from the Basel train station, with travel time less than 10 minute, I had no trouble being commuting. Breakfast was good and I would definitely recommend this hotel over some of the Basel's other more expensive options.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
airporthotelbasel1, General Manager at Airport Hotel Basel, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Dear Guest. Thank you very much for taking time to write a review. We are very glad to hear that we were able to convince you of our service. We are looking forward to welcome you the next time in the Airport Hotel Basel when you are in the city. Dimitris Argirakis, Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Abtsdorf am Attersee, Austria
Reviewed May 8, 2014

I have been a guest at the Airport Hotel Basel in the past years a couple of times and i highly recommend this hotel.
It was superb, especially the front desk staff.
The hotel staff were so friendly and accommodating throughout my stay and really tried to make me feel at home.
I had no issues neither with security nor with the area where the hotel is situated.
I always felt safe especially knowing that the Casino next door is full of security people.
I definitely look forward to returning back to Basel and the Airport Hotel!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
airporthotelbasel1, General Manager at Airport Hotel Basel, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Dear Guest. Thank you very much for taking time to write a review. We are glad to hear that you always enjoy your stay with us and that especially the front desk staff could convince you from our special service. We are looking really forward to welcome you once again in the nearest future! Dimitris Argirakis, Director
Juneau, Alaska
Reviewed May 6, 2014

Had a work conference near the hotel and this was one of the places we had a room block. My first take was the cost, but that could be that I'm just an American not experienced with Europe.

I took the train from Zurich to Basel - convenient enough, they run every hour and the station is central to downtown. There is a bus, #50, that will stop along the road in front of the hotel, or you can take a taxi (as I did, and $40 USD later).

check-in was very cliche, the front desk staff double as bartenders. The lobby was very open and inviting. Check-in was easy with the bilingual staff (who spoke very good English), and the elevators are adjacent to the desk.

My first impression of the room was good - I was expecting something smaller. The TV appeared to be built into the wall, and the beds were pushed together into a king (thank god). I did notice no separate sheets or blankets for the bed - just 2 duvets, which did their job.

Absolutely bountiful television channels (no US channels) - and the in room internet worked fine.

The bathroom was nice, although I would suggest to "western" travelers to bring a loofa. The soap/shampoo is not like we are used to, its in a bottle hanging on the side of the shower. The water got hot FAIRLY fast, and the shower was pleasurable. The bathroom was also larger than I was expecting.

I don't recall there ever being any noise from the hotel; although there is an industrial area just to the north of the property (and airport behind it). The casino didn't seem to garner massive crowds, and it appeared to have its own entrance.

I do applaud some of the eco-saving methods used in the hotel; the hallways lights are motion-activated; the ice machine seemed to be a low-use machine and not the huge monsters we have in the US... the use of a single bottle for soap/shampoo probably saves on a lot of waste as well.

My friends and I took a leisurely stroll down the road to a few restaurants and really enjoyed Basel. I understand there's a LOT MORE to this place, but considering our short stay, we got a lot in!

Didn't ever use the shuttle as the bus seems to run every 10 - 15 minutes.
I think the hotel served its purpose and I'd probably return again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest. Thank you very much for taking time to write a review. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that some things was even better than you are expected. We would be glad to welcome you once again in the nearest future! Dimitris Argirakis, Director
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed May 4, 2014

I stay at this airport hotel because I go for business trip. Not very nice, I must say. The hoetl have good location but nothing else I like. Ok, the breakfast not bad and the service also not bad. But room is not my liking and I very much bored in this place. If not for business, I stay in hotel in town.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
airporthotelbasel1, General Manager at Airport Hotel Basel, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Dear Guest. Thank you for your comments. Please be informed that our shuttle will bring our guests free of charge to Basel city centre and the surroundings. So next time you could explore some of Basels attractions. All the best and thank you again for your comment. Dimitris Argirakis, Director
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 4, 2014

I booked this hotel as I am a young woman travelling on my own and needed to stay at Basel airport for one night.
I chose the hotel as it stated it was at the airport and offered a safe shuttle service.
In fact, this hotel is a ten minute drive away from the airport itself.
I emailed the hotel requesting the shuttle service to which they did not email back.
Upon arriving at Basel airport- at 11:30 pm at night- I called the hotel and asked for the shuttle to collect me, the lady on the phone said the shuttle was busy. She then suggested I get the bus from outside the airport which would stop outside the hotel. I was very wary to get a bus as a girl on my own at night- but the taxi queue was at least half an hour long and the bus looked safe enough.
Every announcement on the bus was in German so I couldn't understand where to get off, I got off at the second stop in a totally industrial area.
Google maps informed me that I was a mile from the hotel, I couldn't find a taxi as it was literally in the middle of nowhere! I was absolutely terrified as it was pitch black, I was on my own with lots of luggage and the area was full of tower blocks, factories and graffiti.
I struggled with my bags and walked past two men who shouted things at me and proceeded to follow me for a while. I was so scared I was going to get mugged or worse! The area around the hotel is so dangerous and scary!
I eventually got there and was shaking and in tears, the staff offered me a glass of water and said that oh they should of ordered me a taxi- idiots!
upon checking out the next day I received an email from the manager basically insisting that I was being over dramatic and that the hotel wasn't at fault- how dare they! He in fact stated in the email that "Basel is really one of the European cities with the least criminal incidents in Europe." and that the area I walked through at night "is equipped with CCTV cameras" so that's ok then at least they would be able to identify my attackers afterwards!
Absolutely terrible service and I was offered no discount on the expensive room rate I paid- I urge all female travellers on their own to stay well away from this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
6 Thank Parakeetsinmygarden
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments about your stay with us.

You have made a reservation via booking.com. On the site, its mentioned the hotel is offering a shuttle bus service upon request and availability.

The night of your arrivaal, you wrote an email at our reservations requesting the shuttle service. Your action was correct but unfortunately it was sent at the reservations department which is open during office times. Therefore your email was not checked before your arrival.

At your arrival in Basel, you called the hotel and asked instructions of how to reach the hotel. The reception staff advised that the Bus 50 will take you directly outside the hotel after two stops. From what I was informed you did not come out on the second stop but a stop further down. Upon arrival at the hotel you stressed out the fact that you did not feel comfortable walking alone, which I totally understand. On the other hand, please note that Basel is really one of the European cities with the least criminal incidents in Europe. Though, as I mentioned above I totally understand you.

Mrs Krieg, our Front Office manager talked to you this morning. You mentioned to her your concern about the hotel not being women friendly (or the location of the hotel). Our hotel has though 43% of single woman. To that I wish to add that the road from the Airport to the edge of the city (near the bus stop you got off) is equipped with night cctv cameras as we are situated near the French boarders.

Nevertheless I would personally like to apologise for the above, and would also like to offer myself at your service for the next time you arrive in Basel. Even if you do not choose to stay with us, and as we are the only hotel in Basel offering the shuttle service, I would be very happy to personally pick you up from the Airport and drive you to your hotel. Of course the return trip from the hotel to the Airport will also be included.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you wish to discuss this matter further. I wish you a pleasant day and all the best from Basel.

Dimitris Argirakis, Director
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Very pleased with staff, professional, helpful and friendly. Rooms are comfortable but the "old" mini bar facility could have done (instead there are vendors machine on the floor), A bit of an early (around 8,30) knock at the door from the housekeeper on the set leaving date it's probably due to miscommunication with the reception, however not the most pleasant of the wake up :(.
Breakfast (different packages on offer) it's average and not mind blowing. I reckon the Hotel would suit perfectly short term business stay for departures from the close by airport.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest. Thank you very much for taking the time to write your comments. If I may, I will comment on a few points. The mini bar: The Airport Hotel Basel is a “Green Hotel”. Our CO2 footprint is 0 (Zero) as we do not burn any fuels but get the energy underground. When we opened the hotel in 2007 we thought that having 11 Vending machines on the floors (one on each floor) instead of running 167 mini bars in each room, will be environmental friendly, which 7 years down the road has been proven. This is the main reason. For the housekeeping knocking on your door at 08:30 although your check out officially is at 12:00 noon is not acceptable. I will look into this myself. Please accept my apology. About the breakfast it always depends on the guests likes. Its a hot buffet starting at 06:00. From 04:00 till 06:00 we offer our express breakfast for early departure guests. The location of the hotel is suitable for both short and long stays. We are 7min away from the city centre, 3 min away from the Airport and we offer our shuttle bus service free of charge.
Again, thank you very much for you constructive comments and wish you all the best. Dimitris Argirakis, Director
Reviewed April 26, 2014

My friends and I did not stay at the Airport Hotel but if we ever have a need to stay in Basil, we certainly will. From being misinformed we ended up trying walk from the train station to the airport; we were told it was a 20 minute walk. As we came to find out it was not. We walked for over an hour on a holiday and no taxis were in sight. We were afraid we would miss our flight and had no idea how far we still had to go. However, the shuttle bus driver for the Airport hotel passed us by on the highway, stopped, backed up and kindly asked if we wanted a ride and told us we had over a km still to go. It was hot, muggy and we had heavy suitcases. He gave us a ride, was cheery and delightful as could be, and dropped us off at the Basal Airport. We were incredibly thankful for his thoughtfulness and service. The date was 4/21/2014 around 1pm. So thank you to the driver that day! He earned his employer business, a good review and image.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Naomi U
Dear guest.Thank you for your positive comment although you did not stay with us. I will pass your thanks to our driver. We always try to do that extra mile with our services and this does reflect that fact. All the best and hope to be able to accommodate you the next time you are in Basel. Dimitris Argirakis, Director
Also consider these accommodations in or near Basel
Vorstädte
Ibis Mulhouse Bale Aeroport
#2 of 6 in Saint Louis
Hotel Stuecki Basel
#10 of 51 in Basel

Been to Airport Hotel Basel? Share your experiences!