“Excellent customer service and newly renovated in parts!”
Review of Hotel Rochat

Hotel Rochat
Ranked #20 of 51 Hotels in Basel
Reviewed May 27, 2014

We were in town for a meeting and only booked one night. The price was very reasonable for Basel, and the location was excellent - within walking distance of the heart of Basel and very conveniently located on the 11 tram line from the SBB station. When we checked in, we were given a pass that was good for all public transport in the city - an unexpected and valuable service.
We were given a gorgeous room in the newly renovated section overlooking the back courtyard where it was very peaceful and we heard no noise from the street - very upscale for a 3-stare hotel. To our dismay, we realized at 7am that we had no hot water for the shower or the sink. After calling the reception, and waiting 15 minutes for a response, the receptionist very kindly asked us to change rooms so that we could have hot water in the shower. While this was inconvenient, they managed to find a solution. At check-out, we learned that we were not charged for the breakfast, and we appreciated this nice gesture. However, as we were in the tram heading away from the hotel, the manager called and informed us that he would credit the entire cost of the room because we had been inconvenienced, and his primary concern was customer satisfaction. Having lived in Switzerland for 15 years, I must say that I was very pleasantly surprised and compelled to write a positive review. This is indeed unusual for Swiss hotels, and deserves to be mentioned. I would certainly go back, and most definitely would recommend that one request a newly renovated room, as they are very tastefully done and I'm sure they will have solved the hot water problem shortly.

Room Tip: Request a newly renovated room on the inner courtyard
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Hotel Rochat

Reviewed May 25, 2014 via mobile

Stayed just one night at start of our holiday. Hotel is only 15 mins taxi ride from airport which cost about 32 francs. Great breakfast too and very helpful staff. Very handy for city centre and justva stones throw from the Rhine.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed May 22, 2014

We were very pleased with this hotel. It was in an excellent location, with city parking undergound opposite. Although it had a very traditional exterior the rooms had very modern lighting and furniture. The hotel was quiet when we stayed and they had reduced the prices. We had pre-paid so they gave us an upgrade. This was a very comfortable room with a spacious seating area. Breakfast was also good value.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dj_vhughes
Reviewed May 1, 2014

I recently stayed here for 2 nights with my husband and 2 daughters. We booked a family room. It had 2 single beds for the girls and 2 single beds pushed together for me & my husband. The beds were comfortable and bedding snugly. There was still plenty of space in the room for luggage and even to do yoga. The bathroom was a little cramped but we managed fine.

The room was in the main building and accessible via lift or stairs. It was neat, tidy and clean. Staff were very polite & check in and out easy.

The location was fabulous. Very easy to walk straight into the town and explore.

We pre-booked in site parking for 15CHF per day. The parking is very, very, very tight. We were in a Citroen C4 Picasso, it was tight getting into the car spot and took us 20 minutes to manage to turn the car & get it out again at the end of our stay. A hotel car was parked next to our car. The staff on the day we were leaving were not able to move that car out of the car park to enable us to get out easier. They moved it closer to the wall to give us a bit more space. They were not confident that they could get it out without damaging it. If you have a bigger car than the one we hired I would suggest you don't park here. A small car would be ok.

I would stay here again but not park here unless I had a smaller car.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank travelling_girl033
Reviewed January 31, 2014

I booked this hotel during the major Swissbau exhibition. Hotels were full virtually everywhere and room rates astronomic..
Although the hotel was not cheap, it was very reasonable compared to other hotels during this period. Room rates reduce drastically outside the major exhibition dates.
My room and bathroom was spotless and the bed extremely comfortable.
Although you had to pay for breakfast, 11 Euro from memory, it was very good and also included a cooked breakfast, if you wanted.
The hotel reception and staff were also very polite and helpful.
The hotel is pretty central taking about 7 -10 minutes to walk into the city centre and 20 minutes to the major exhibition centre. Everywhere is within pretty easy walking distance.
I'd definitely stay again.

Room Tip: My room was at the back of the hotel, with no particular view, but the room was nice and quiet.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank NiftyAdvisor
Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

I've been in this hotel with my boyfriend for 2 nights and 3 days!
The hotel is located in a tactical location, it is close to the university area that not only is one of the nicest of Basel, but it's also perfectly connected by tram with the rest of the city and markplatz is just 2 minutes walking!
Room are very nice, new and big.
Hotel staff is welcoming and have supported us during our stay.
Finally the hotel also provide a free card to have access to the public transportation.
I really suggest this hotel!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank lotti23
Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

My room was very clean and proper. All the staff were young and friendly. The breakfast was good. Good internet connection. A little awkward to get to the rooms. For certain rooms you have to take two elevators; at first it's a little confusing. You are in easy walking distance to everything there is to do in Basel.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo