“Well, perfect but...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 50 Hotels in Basel
Udine, Italy
“Well, perfect but...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

A recently renovated in the middle of Basel, that due to a good last minute offer wasn't as costly as most of the Swiss accommodations.
The Hotel is really good, the staff very friendly. Why 4 stars? During renovation they've forgotten to install any kind of sound insulation between the rooms... so when you neighborhood go to the toilet or take a shower you are pretty sully informed... Ah yes, and the nearby (really nearby...) church has bells every 15 minutes...
Good breakfast facilities. Very good coffee for being brewed with an automatic machine.
No parking option (they do have just limited parking spaces somewhere but they were full), and the nearby "City Parking" (under the Hospital) is about 25 Swiss Francs a day...

Room Tip: Some rooms have the bathroom with a window.. our not. So avoid number 36, choose 34 or 38...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I spent two nights in a single at the Hotel Rochat in May/June and was very well pleased with the location and service. Near the heart of Basel’s Old Town, the hotel is easy to reach by foot or tram. The hotel consists of a set of interconnected buildings with elevators, but you may need to cross a few stairs to get from one part of the hotel to another. (If mobility is a concern, you would probably do well to contact the hotel to arrange or ensure appropriate access.) My room was well laid out and offered a pleasant view of a courtyard with a vine-covered building. My bed was comfortable, I liked that the towel was a bath sheet (rather than a conventionally sized towel), and I was satisfied with the amount of counter space. Breakfast was excellent, including an exceptionally wide array of both cold and hot foods and a wonderful cheeseboard with six different options. Hotel staff were consistently helpful and welcoming. If I have the good fortune to return to Basel, I hope to return to the Hotel Rochat!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank KJA3
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We loved everything about Hotel Rochat. Every morning we were able to hear the church bells ringing outside our window, and we had a lovely view. It was not far from the city center, and was surrounded by lovely buildings. The staff was helpful and friendly. Our room was sparkling clean, and was quite spacious considering how small European hotels can be.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Decorated11
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

We stayed in the Hotel Rochat for a quick stop over in Basel and did not want to break the bank. The hotel was idea as reasonably priced and well located. There was no parking at the hotel, however we parked close by at the University Hospital car park and there was an underground walkway that bought you out about 50 mt from the hotel - very convenient. The front desk manager Mohammed was very pleasant and helpful and the room appeared to be recently renovated and was spacious, clean and comfortable. The lifts are modern and work well. It was a bit of a trek to our room up and down small stair cases and taking the lift twice, however the room was good. There are no tea/coffee facilities nor complimentary water however there was a good hairdryer and I thought this hotel excellent for a 2 star. It is a brisk walk down the hill to the river and some lovely restaurants. Good location and very quiet.

Room Tip: Ask for something not too far away from reception if you have a lot of luggage.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank UndaraUAE
Beit She'an, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

After searching Trip Advisor for a Hotel near the Altstadt in Basel that was less than 100Euro a night , I came up with this one. I booked online.

I arrived at about 2130 in the evening and the whole neighborhood ( next to the University) was quiet. With the exception of a couple of bars and a restaurants, Basel is “Dead” in the evenings.

Check-in at the Hotel was quick, and within 3 minutes I had been given my Room, a 1-day free travelcard for using on Buses and Trams in Basel. This is a service that I understand is standard fare for all Hotels and for all tourists.

I had ordered a Single room. The room was not massive, but not too small. View was of the street. There was a Minibar, and a 29”Flatscreen TV. My only complaint was that there were 50 TV channels, but only 2 in English ( CNN and Bloomberg). The Bed was a Large single /mini double ( difficult to decide). It was comfortable.

Toilet/Bathroom had a small shower in, there was also a toilet and basin. It was perfectly clean and there was a good quality main towel, small hand towel and a flannel. There was a Shampoo/shower gel ( all-in-one) dispenser on the wall between the sink and the Shower.

There was a safe in the wardrobe ( that I did not use). There were plenty of electrical points, and I could charge my Cellphone and my computer.

Wifi was free and the speed was fine for talking on SKYPE without any problems.

I woke up early and, as an orthodox Jew, went to morning prayers at the synagogue. The Hotel is about a 7 minute walk from the nearest synagogue and this was very convenient for me.

I paid for breakfast, but in the end only had a Coffee. There was a high quality coffee machine with lots of options ( Cappuccino, Espresso , other etc.). Breakfast was continental and there were lots of things to chose from ( cereal, eggs, meat, fruit, bread, yoghurts etc.) .

After breakfast, I checked out but asked if I could leave my Bag at reception for a couple of hours whilst I walk around the local sites ( Alstadt, Rhine walkway, Munster, Marktplatz etc.) , all of which were within about 10 minutes or so of the Hotel. The 2 people behind the counter were very helpful and gave me a map of the area and told me where to go.

As a summary: The Hotel is quiet, Clean, has a fantastic position for visiting the main Basel sights. Services in the Hotel are good and the staff very helpful. In the event that I were in Basel again, I would definitely stay here again, and I would recommend this Hotel to others.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank BJREisman
Zuidlaren, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

We stayed one night at this hotel. It is conveniently located, but a bit 'sterile'. All clean and well, friendly staff, good room, bathroom a bit too small for 2 people. But in spite of the old building, no real nice atmosphere. If you have a large car, you wll have difficulty to fit on the Parking! This is a known problem and the management is trying to correct this.
By the way, there is an elevator in the hotel, but it is not very convenient, you must first take 8 steps before you can enter. And everywhere in the buildings the are other small steps.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

This very nice hotel was across and up the street from the university hospital in Basel where I had gone for treatment. It was a delightful place just off of main tram and bus lines in the heart of the old city. There were several good restaurants within easy walking distance, although I recommend the hotel for breakfast and lunch, with great selections, both at an excellent price. The hotel staff was extremely firendly and helpful, 24/7.

My one concern in the first room that my daughter and I shared was the bath tub/shower which required lefting one's legs very high into the very clean (read slippery) tub. This raised my anxiety since there were no securely planted grab bars to make these transitions less thrilling. For my second week I requested and received a room on the third floor with a walk-in shower, which was a great relief.

Also, during our stay, a group of overgrown teenagers set up a sqwat across the street from the hotel. This type of behavior is highly tolerated by the Swiss Deutsch.--as it is in two Swiss derived groups in my area in the States, the Amish and Mennonites. It got a little noisy at night --but hopefully these folks will be moved along soon (or simply grow up). The noise did not bother me with the room windows shut.

The wakeup call system was not automated, so be sure to ask for the call for each day you want it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business