“Short visit in Basel”

Hotel Spalentor Basel
Ranked #3 of 51 Hotels in Basel
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Small hotel, very close to city center.
A room without carpets, in one word fantastic!!!!!
If arriving with a car, it will increase your cost.
Price of the rooms are well below, quality is well above the Basel average.

Room Tip: Car parking can be expensive.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank petermie
Julia B, Manager at Hotel Spalentor Basel, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

We hope you have had a pleasant journey back home and we thank you very much for your review. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. We wish you all the best and are looking forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

I'm writing this while waiting for the maids to finish their break (!!) and get my room ready...I have been warned it could be another two hours yet...now having sent a message in advance to the hotel that I was arriving in the morning, before the official 2pm check-in time, one would think in this day and age it would be pretty simple to get a room ready...to be honest I can't remember the last hotel I have been too where this has been a problem...
even when I suggested switching to another, I was told that all the rooms had already been pre-assigned and got the impression that they couldn't be bothered to change it just for my benefit...having got up at 4am to make the trip, I wanted and needed a few hours kip, instead I'm sitting impatiently in a conference room downstairs...
considering the ridiculous price I am being charged a night, I'd expect a lot better...so whatever the stay holds in store from now on, my first impression will be the only one that counts and I'm not impressed

Room Tip: don't bother trying to check-in before 2pm
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

We hope you had a safe journey back home and thank you very much for your review. We regret very much that you could not check in before the officicial check in time due to the hotel was fully booked the previous night and you had to wait. We appologize for this inconvenience. We wish you a beautiful Christmas season and wish you all the best.

Reviewed November 22, 2013

I stay hear for 2 night earlier this week; booked purely on tripadvisor reviews and wasn't disappointed. 1st time in Basel with work; arrived on my own at the airport and caught the number 50 bus, got off at the 5th stop and the hotel is about a 5 minute walk away. Had asked in the hotel had and iron and ironing board in advance and it was waiting in my room for me. The rooms are of a decent size with nice soft beds and down duvets and pillows. Nicely furnished and modern. Bathroom was also well equipped with bath and removable shower head which made it easier to just wash your hair if you wanted. Breakfast was nice with a good continental selection, lots of fresh breads. Didn't opt for a hot breakfast but looked like scrambled egg and bacon. The staff were very helpful and even had an umbrella for me when it was raining. Big plus for me and in part why i booked this hotel is the free wifi that you get and you also get a free city travelpass for the duration of your stay which is valid on buses and the tram in the central zone which includes the airport which was great.

Don't think they do evening meals - but worth checking; I arrived late on my first night and just went out for a Pizza on my 2nd night.

I would highly recommend this hotel and when I return to Basel I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The hotel is on a busy junction and is a bit noisy with eth passing traffic. I stayed in a room on t...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Julia B, Manager at Hotel Spalentor Basel, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

We hope you have had a pleasant journey back home and we thank you very much for your positive review. We are happy that you were satisfied with your stay and enjoyed the hotel. We are looking forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

For some hotels the fact that my coffee machine didn't work and the air conditioning didn't work (not the hotels fault) would have been cause to at least mark them down a rating or 2.
The truth is though the staff were so friendly and did so much to try to please that I can not give anything but full marks.
The hotel and in particular the room was clean and fresh and kept that way through out my stay. Breakfast was excellent with a good choice.
As I said above there was a problem with my coffee machine which I mentioned to the lady on reception who offered me free coffee from reception until the problem could be sorted. I only discovered as I was checking out the amount of hassle they had to go through to get a new one fitted but it was passed off with a smile and a laugh, assuring me that it was not my problem to worry about.
Apparently there is a rule in Basel about the use of the air conditioning so unfortunately my room was quite warm due to the warmer than normal weather for the time of year. I did open the window which helped but as it was ground floor and on a main road this was quite noisy.
Again I must stress that this in no way affected my thoughts about the hotel and the wonderful staff there.
I will definitely stay there again if when I return to Basel.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper ask for a room away from the road and above street level, especially if i...
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Julia B, Manager at Hotel Spalentor Basel, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

We hope you have had a pleasant journey back home and we thank you very much for your review. We appologize regarding your coffee maschine and the air condition. We are happy that you were satisfied with our staff and we are looking forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

Basel is expensive, so I guess we got a good value here. We came by taxi, but there is good public transport nearby. The young woman who checked us in was very apologetic that the elevator was not functioning, but we don't expect to find a lift in any smaller European hotel anyway. The clerk wanted to carry our bags up, but that was silly. Still apologetic, she gave us free ice-cream from the bar/snack counter, as it was the hottest time of summer. In smaller European hotels in this region we also don't expect to find air conditioning, and they were just installing it here. Good move, honestly. Our room fan could not do enough to move air, and the hotel is on a VERY busy intersection with cars, busses, and trams directly below, so it was terribly noisy with the windows open and disruptive to sleep... but this situation has probably been resolved by the time of this review. Contrary to the street side, the hotel faces huge trees and a upscale residential cluster. There's even a sort of grotto beneath a giant tree with tables and chairs that provides a pleasant outdoor reprieve, although it is adjacent to the parking lot. The next day we were given free ice cream again, as well as Spalentor t-shirts! The room is not carpeted, which is always my preference, and it was well-furnished, functional and good-sized. Interior is refurbished, but it's still a relatively older building, so the bathroom is a little small, but works for what you need it to. Everything's clean, and there's a nice little lobby with bar. From here you can take transport very easily, or just walk. It's very pleasant to do so, with nice areas all around, as well as the main centers, but it took a bit for me to get oriented (which is unusual). Breakfast is very good, but at the time, without aircon up in the attic where you are served, it was quite warm, so my experience was a bit tainted. Overall, really a good place for the money.

Room Tip: Can be quite noisy on street side, at least with windows open.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

We thank you very much for your review and we are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are pleased to inform you that air condition is working now. We are looking forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

After three weeks of exploring Germany, France, and Schweiz and traveling as economically as possible, we thoroughly enjoyed the visual and physical comfort of Hotel Spalentor. Our first floor (second floor in the US) room was bright, airy, and spacious. Moreover, it was close to the old town and the University of Basel, as well as good restaurants. Because we left at 5 am for the airport we missed the help of a desk clerk, who doesn't come on duty until 6.15 am. The taxi to the airport was about 37 Swiss Francs. We'd stay there again if in Basel.

Stayed: October 2013
Julia B, Manager at Hotel Spalentor Basel, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

We hope you have had a pleasant journey back home and we thank your very much for your positive review. We are happy that you were satisfied with your stay and that you enjoyed Basle.
We wish you a lovely autumn and we are looking forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

Excellent cleanliness, excellent breakfast and beautiful rooms; the team in the hotel is very nice and professional. Good price for the value.
Urban bus and metro near the hotel and in a 10 minutes by walk you can arrive at the river Rheine or at the "Munster"

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Julia B, Manager at Hotel Spalentor Basel, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

We hope you have had a pleasant journey back home and we thank you very much for your review. We are happy that you were satisfied with the cleanliness, the breakfast, your room, our team and the location of the hotel. We wish you a lovely autumn and we are looking forward to welcoming you again.