“When in Basel, give Bel Etage a pass”

Restaurant Bel Etage
Ranked #2 of 732 Restaurants in Basel
Cuisines: European, Swiss, Contemporary, International
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: The gourmet restaurant Bel Etage on the 1st floor of the Art Hotel Teufelhof has the intimate character of a salon. The daily changing offer includes à la carte dishes and different sizes of menu. Each course is offered with an accompanying wine by the glass or a wine set combined with the menu. The restaurant serves a market fresh gourmet cuisine
Reviewed February 20, 2014

I live in three hours from Basel and thought Bel Etage would make a nice venue to celebrate a special occasion. It was my second time there. Our dinner was nice but most definitely not worth CHF 250 (USD 275) per person, with drinks. The service at table was competent but distracted. However at the front of the house, I politely pointed out something that was amiss and was told off. This, after dropping CHF 500! Dine at your own risk and beware being yelled at if pointing out anything amiss in a polite way.

If being mistreated after spending a lot of money for a meal is your idea of a good time then I could recommend this restaurant!

4  Thank Duchetti
RWyniger, Inhaber at Restaurant Bel Etage, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Dear Gva

First of all I would like to inform you that I am thankful for your entry on TripAdvisor regarding your impression of your stay in the restaurant Bel Etage.

I am sorry for the fact that you did not leave satisfied our house. In the Teufelhof Basel we always try to provide a perfect service and most of the time we are successful - which is proven by several wonderful and positive feedbacks from our guests, as well on TripAdvisor. Also we have been awarded with the title «friendliest place in Basel» by the local newspaper and its readers just recently. That of course makes us proud too.

But we are as well only human and due to this mistakes can happen, unfortunately. And regrettably, I often do not come to know this. So thank you for taking time to write this.
Regarding the situation you describe I have to tell you that I am really astonished to hear that and can hardly believe it, that one of my team members had told you off after your advice.

But if you felt like this, then I do apologize for that and take the responsibility. Because at the end of the day, it is always a matter how you personally experienced the situation, and obviously your impression was that you have been told off.

As I already mentioned, we are always grateful to get a feedback from our guests, especially when the guests are still in our house as this gives us a direct chance to react. Due to this our employees are instructed to take every feedback serious and to contact immediately the team leader if necessary. My staff is specific trained for that, so I am sure that in your case it must have been a misunderstanding and I am truly sorry for that.
Because at the Teufelhof we are proud to provide a first class service and will continue to do so in the future.

So: Please accept my excuses for the troubles you had during your stay in our Cultural Guesthouse. For your next visit in Basel I wish you all the best.

Raphael Wyniger
Owner

Reviewed October 11, 2013

A cool experience with fresh tuna sashimi and a seasonal "Waldmeister" sorbet! The extensive vine list is something very special as they only select vines from smaller producers. A real experience!

Reviewed June 4, 2013

Excellent location, very nice young team, very nice interiors, comfortable chairs, but...a little bit "plain" food - menu is very limited and nothing special at all.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

We had a great evening in a warm and friendly atmosphere. The food was delicious, absolutely the best we had in Basel.

It's a rather expensive restaurant but absolutely worth the money for all who want to enjoy excellent food in a beautiful ambience.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

We enjoyed the despite the formal dining and gourmet restaurant setting - relaxed athmosphere, the simple, but elegant interiror and friendly service at the bel etage. We were offered a lovely adjusted wine menu to fit each of our courses, with fun local and international wines - some with a Wow effect.
Only small minus was the a bit unproffesional manager appearance, who in an attempt to make everyone feel special (which he did in an akward manner) compromised the fantastic work of his staff. Luckily his grand entrance did only last for a minute or so.
All in all a great experience and fun evening for us.