“Not quite perfect”

Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed November 7, 2013

As far as Asian food in Basel goes, this is certainly among the best. The place is quite basic, no special decoration, tableware or furnishings. The staff were friendly enough, but not very attentive, as I had to spend some time distracted from my friends trying to get their attention for more drinks. I was also disappointed that they insisted we re-use the starter cutlery for our main course, and didn't offer chopsticks until we asked. 4 stars for the food and polite staff, but work to do to earn 5 stars from me.

There are newer reviews for SaiGon Moon

Reviewed October 30, 2013

Got to the restaurant with at least 1.5 hrs before 2pm. The buffet was completely empty with only bits of dried fried rice and noodles. We waited for at least 8 mins before we were seated, I wonder if the restaurant was busy as we were the fifth customer there. The service was polite later but for the first 15 mins, we felt like we were not even there, he cant even be bothered that we were looking at him all the time, hoping he will take our drinks order. We had the buffet with the choice of dried plain rice, three pieces of beef with lots of sautéed veg, roasted duck and (NO) chicken red curry. Food was poor in our opinions, based on the four dishes with dried rice. I m not sure what is the hype all about, hopefully I was unlucky. But is that the way to treat customers even on a bad day? I dont think so....

1  Thank 987benm
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Nice people and really delicious food here. Basel is not known for great Asian food, but we can rely on this place to produce a nice meal. The staff is super friendly and multilingual. The restaurant is easy to get to. The decor is basic Vietnamese, complete with altars and candles

Reviewed October 15, 2013

We have been looking for an authentic Vietnamese cuisine in Basel for a couple of years now. So, when we heard about Saigon Moon from a friend, we were excited. Saigon Moon proved to be surprisingly authentic - flavorful and the real thing. I should know - I am of Vietnamese ancestry (no relation to restaurant owner what-so-ever). Prices are quite reasonable. Staff is super accommodating. Family friendly dining facility too.

I recommend the Vietnamese spring rolls, served cold and served fried. My kids favorite is Vietnamese rice noodle soup called Pho. The marinated meat dishes, whether served with rice noodles or white rice, are delicious. You can't go wrong with any dishes on the Vietnamese part of the menu (I have not tried their Thai or Chinese dishes).

Reviewed October 11, 2013

Eaten here last week , had a great pancake style starter and some spring rolls , the only thing dips they don't do Vietnam curry but Thai bit weird that. Main courses we're just ok , all staff very nice , worth a visit