“Better than good”

Ranked #21 of 51 Hotels in Basel
Zurich, Switzerland
“Better than good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

My husband and I stayed one night here in August 2013. We booked a deluxe room over booking.com and asked for a nice view. We were given a room on the highest level available - 14th floor. Fabulous view through floor to ceiling windows. Really stylish room with lovely modern bathroom. The bar on the 30th floor also affords a spectacular view of the city. The breakfast was excellent - lots of choice and real coffee from a Nespresso machine. The staff were all so friendly. I would definitely go there again. It was excellent. The free tram ticket for your entire stay is a great idea and we found free parking near the hotel as it was a weekend. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. It was also very quiet and very easy to reach both by car and public transport.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a better view, but I imagine all rooms are fairly quiet.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tricia8134
PEmmel, Manager at Hyperion Hotel Basel, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear Guest & "Reviewer"

Thank you very much for your positive comment. It is nice to hear, that you overall appreciate our services and offers! It would be our pleasure to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future – see you soon again, your RAMADA PLAZA Basel Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

This review is quite difficult to write as I had a very mixed experience of this hotel. On the good side, it's well equipped, conveniently located, and has well furnished, comfortable rooms. Beds are good, bedding is excellent, bathrooms are good. But it's a bland sort of place. Large, featureless reception area more like a conference centre. No tea making facilities in the rooms. Bland "sky bar". And, and this is my biggest gripe, curtains that didn't fill the window space. This might have been ok if my room hadn't overlooked the large bland atrium, complete with its glass roof and megawatt light spillage, all reflected up into my 7th floor room through the angled privacy blinds. Each night I woke up pretty well hourly, thinking it was daylight and that I had overslept. Such a pity in an otherwise comfortable room.

Room Tip: Try to avoid being on the side of the hotel that overlooks the large atrium as the light spill into...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you once again for having chosen our hotel and thank you for taking the time to complete our guest questionnaire.

It is very important to me to get your opinion and comments, since it will help us to maintain the standard of the hotel and its quality of service. Furthermore we will be able to correct small mistakes immediately.

It is with great regret to hear that you were not fully satisfied with the room itself. Please accept my apologies for any inconveniences caused. We do have extra blinds you may Close together with the black-out curtains during you next stay. We will also be happy to provide you with an extra coffee/tea-making facility.

Thank you again for sharing your concerns and allowing us the opportunity to ensure that your next visit will be a totally positive and pleasant one.

Looking forward to welcoming you again at our hotel, I remain

With kind regards,
NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

I stayed at the Ramada in June 2013 during Art Basel. Hotel is centrally located, and is good in comparison to other Basel hotels. The rooms are sleek, modern, lighted bathroom floors, and very clean, but the rooms are tiny (the closet was less than a foot wide). When I showed towards the end of breakfast, I had problems just getting a black coffee. Hotel staff is generally cordial and helpful.

Room Tip: High floor rooms have great views.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
PEmmel, Manager at Hyperion Hotel Basel, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for having chosen our hotel, and thank you for taking the time to write a survey on TripAdvisor. I was pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay.
I have already shared your feedback regarding the restaurant service with the team, and taken measures regarding what we can improve.
I however hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Best Regards,
Rotherham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

The hotel is very modern situated just a few mins by tram from the city centre, our room on the 14th floor had superb views of the city and was spotless with very comfortable beds with super soft pillows. The bathroom was excellent illuminated floor and super shower cubicle. Chocolates on the Pillow to welcome you.On my birthday I received a dish of cakes chocolates and fruit from the Hotel Management very much appreciated a really nice gesture.
The breakfast was fine with a choice of hot or continental.
The staff were very friendly and extremely helpful. Can definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jontonyrotherham
PEmmel, Manager at Hyperion Hotel Basel, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your effort writing on Tripadvisor.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your birthday during your stay.

We really appreciate your recommendation and we very much look forward to welcoming you back soon.

With kind regards,
RAMADA PLAZA Basel
Salisbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

I initially chose this hotel for its location to the Basel conference centre and for its good review on this site. All four of our party were impressed by the quality of our entire stay. On the ground floor the entrance lobby, reception and cafe were excellent, staff were friendly and knowledgeable. The location is excellent for a walk into town or you can take the tram outside on Messeplatz -all persons at this hotel get the free tram pass for unlimited use around Basel which is a real bonus. We had rooms on the 9th floor which were excellently presented, clean and quiet, the whole wall of glass in the living area gave a marvellous view with electric blinds installed for when the sun was too much and welcome air conditioning - it was 42'C when we were there! Having UK channels on the tv and free wifi throughout the hotel were both welcome bonuses. The bathroom was of a good size with quality fittings, the lighting was excellent including floor up lighters and a wall of mirror.
Note some reviewers have mentioned about the odd 3pin plugs in Switzerland, this isn't an issue if you have a European 2pin adapter which worked fine with all our kit.
The breakfast buffet was of good quality with hot & cold food available, even a cappuccino if requested -staff were very attentive & friendly.
The security is also good where your room key is needed to access the lifts.

Tip if you plan to use the railway (which is excellent as you would expect) book at least 48hours in advance on line and save over 50% - we wish we had!

1 Thank markyb_10
PEmmel, Manager at Hyperion Hotel Basel, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for such a wonderful review of your recent stay here at the RAMADA PLAZA Basel .

I especially appreciate your comments about the service. Our staff are our greatest assets and it is nice to have them acknowledged.

Once again thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Kind Regards from Switzerland
General Manager & the whole team
Maryland, US
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

Stayed here for one night during the art fair. I was in town for other business, but stayed here because it was the only room I could find at any price.

I thought the hotel was overpriced. Particularly because the room they put me was rather shabby, including damaged carpets. Also, there was only a single pillow on the bed and one set of towels in the bath. I guess they take it seriously when I said I was travelling alone.

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of your recent stay here at the RAMADA PLAZA Basel. I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for the inconveniences caused to you during your time with us.
I was disappointed to learn that you hear that you were not satisfied with the room itself. Please note that we have already started the renovation of our room product.

Thank you again for sharing your concerns and allowing us the opportunity to ensure that your next visit will be a positive and pleasant one. I will be happy to assist you with your next reservation personally to ensure that everything runs smooth.

Kind Regards,

milano
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

we had an upgraded room on the 11th floor, amazing view. The rooms was clean and furnished well, confortable beds. Nice bathroom with a lighted floor. I got a good price on bookings.com while staying in Basel for Art Basel. Overall a good experience I will be happy to repeat!

Room Tip: ask for a top floor!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
PEmmel, Manager at Hyperion Hotel Basel, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Guest during ART Basel 2013!

Thank you for your wonderful review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay during the World's most famous ART Fair and hope to see you again!

Kind Regards from Basel