“Average eurpoean hotel”

Ranked #22 of 51 Hotels in Basel
Boston
“Average eurpoean hotel”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

This hotel was chosen for me by my company. The rooms were typically small (compared to US hotels) but very clean, with no frills (including no coffee maker in the room). the lobby is sparse and non-inviting. I also found the twin beds very hard and uncomfortable with small comforters barely coved me (and I'm a small woman). The highlights include a beautiful, extensive breakfast bar ... be sure to get a rate that includes this, it was amazing! It was a good 15 minute walk to the center of town but public tram was very convenient and stopped in front of the hotel

Room Tip: chose a higher floor to get a good view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
PEmmel, Manager at Hyperion Hotel Basel, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Madam

Thank you for having chosen our hotel and thank you for taking the time to write a detailed survey on Tripadvisor.

It is with great regret to hear that you considered our single rooms rather small. We will be happy to reserve another room categorie upon your next arrival. For example our executive rooms are bigger in size and equipped with coffee & tea facilities. We also provide longer comforters upon request. Situated in the "Fair Tower" Building the lobby is not only used by the hotel but also for the offices situated in the same building.

I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay but we will try our utmost to make your next stay even better!

Looking forward to welcoming you again at our hotel, I remain

with kind regards from Switzerland,
Petra Emmel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
NJ
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights while in Basel for business. The rooms are very modern, very nice but be forewarned that they are small. I felt that there was plenty of room for the amount of time I was spending there and being only myself. I did find the mattress rather hard, therefore the 'good' for sleep quality. The bedding is down, so if you are allergic like myself, request alternative bedding in advance. This was noted in my reservation, however I realized that the bedding was still down upon settling into my room - this error was very quickly remedied with many apologies. The wifi connection in my room was very good (colleagues at a nearby hotel had issues) and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The restaurant, Filou, was very good, great service. The breakfast buffet was good with both hot and cold options, however do not expect American fare (pancakes, waffles). If you go to the Ramada Plaza understanding what to expect, I think you will have a very pleasant stay at a convenient location to the trams.
The convenience of having Bar Rouge at the same location allows for a little fun once business is done! Note - separate outside entrance so cannot access from hotel itself for those who may be concerned by this!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Mooshele
PEmmel, Manager at Hyperion Hotel Basel, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Guest & "Reviewer"
Thank you very much for your positive review of your stay. It is nice to hear, that you overall appreciate our services and offers! On the other hand I am sorry that you did not found the allergic bedding immediately upon arrival. We will train our staff even harder to avoid such a situation. It would be our pleasure to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future – see you soon again, your RAMADA PLAZA Basel Team
aberdeen
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights, and I have no hesitation in recommending it. We arrived early and had no problem checking in. Every hotel in Basel provides free transportation tickets, so make the most of them! Tram no. 6 (the stop is outside the hotel) takes you to the old town within minutes-just make sure you are going in the right direction!
We had a lovely standard room, which was big, and had everything you needed-apart from tea/coffee facilities. But we had free bottles of water every day and a small fridge. There is a Lidl supermarket a 5 minute walk away, or take the tram one stop, and you can stock up your fridge. We thought the breakfasts were a bit pricey at 31 Swiss Francs per person, so can't comment on their quality as we didn't breakfast here.
I loved the bathroom! The underfloor heating/lighting and the good shower meant this was a big plus for me! Also, there were always plenty of toiletries left every day.
The choice of channels on t.v .is also very good: Swiss, German, British, French, Italian to name a few.
We used the transport a lot, and even took it up to the St. Louis Grenze and then it was just a 15 minute walk into the the centre of the town-nice day trip into France!
It was also a bonus to be able to use the transport to the airport on our departure-10 minutes on tram number 2 to the trainstation SBB, and from there, bus number 50 takes you to the airport in 15 minutes! What service!
The hotel is modern and the view from the rooms could be nice-but from our room, there was building work going on beside the hotel, which meant you had a view of a mini building site! However, you can just close your curtains/ blinds and there is no noise from the street.
This is a perfect hotel for a holiday in Basel!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank elizmoff
PEmmel, Manager at Hyperion Hotel Basel, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear Guest & Reviewer

Thank you for your effort writing on Tripadvisor.

It is very important to me to get your opinion, since it will help us to maintain the standard of the hotel and its quality of service. Furthermore we will be able to correct small mistakes immediately.

I was pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay. Looking forward to welcoming you again at Basel, I remain

With kind regards & the best wishes for a Happy New Year
Petra Emmel
RAMADA PLAZA Basel
San Francisco, California
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Effective, professional, and courteous staff; simple yet elegant interior; central location; breakfast buffet to die for - I have tried a few other hotels nearby but I keep coming back to Ramada.

I stayed here twice a year at most, yet every time I check in, the sweet front desk staff would greet me with "so nice to have you back with us", and it never fails that some sort of little surprise would await me in the room - sometimes a plate of beautifully presented freshly cut fruit, sometimes small bites of Swiss chocolate. They are genuine and make me feel more and more at home, I know I can always count on them for a fantastic experience.

In this most recent trip, I arrived early (10am) and wanted to try my luck to see whether a room is available; the manager apologized (nothing to apologize for, I arrived early) and upgraded me to a suite for the entire week. What a pleasant surprise! Middle of the week, the mirror in my bathroom cracked (temp difference) and I called the front desk. An engineer arrived in 10 minutes, as if he has been standing by. To me, service like this, set Ramada apart from others and I will always remain a loyal customer.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank JTownLatteGirl
PEmmel, Manager at Hyperion Hotel Basel, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear Guest,

Let me thank you for taking your time to write a review on Ramada Plaza Basel.

As hoteliers, we strongly believe in the importance of guest feedback and are pleased to learn that you enjoyed your time with us.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kindest Regards from Switzerland and a Happy New Year!
Petra Emmel, General Manager & Team
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I just completed my third stay at the Ramada Plaza in Basel. This hotel is spotlessly clean and always very friendly. I like the modern feel of the rooms and I have always found things to be in order and comfortable. One odd thing here, you will notice more Ramada promotion materials in this hotel than just about any place I have been to. I think they have a piece of literature for everything in your room. I end up just collecting all of it and stacking it on the desk. Pretty funny actually - I am sure the Ramada people would be proud.

The hotel staff here is very professional and friendly. Other than the hotel itself, going back for the hotel service is why I return. In recent trips I was very delighted with the quality of their restaurant and bar - in terms of food and service. Like most things in Switzerland, it's not cheap. But in my recent stay, I was really disappointed with both food and service in the restaurant. It seemed as if they had a complete staff change, including chef. The only remaining face I remembered was Mr. Cristifulli, who is always delightful. Petra, the hotel GM, has already responded to my concerns there. I hope they can fix the restaurant and return the hotel to a completely perfect experience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Rick P
PEmmel, Manager at Hyperion Hotel Basel, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Rick

Thank you for having chosen our hotel, and thank you for taking the time to write a survey on TripAdvisor. I was pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay.

I have already shared your feedback regarding the restaurant service with the team, and taken measures regarding what we can improve. I apologize that your experience was not satisfying, and I however hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Kind Regards,

Petra
London
Reviewed November 28, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights to visit the Christmas Markets (which were excellent) at the end of November 2012.
The hotel suited our needs perfectly, the staff were always polite and friendly, the rooms were clean and comfortable (I slept exceptionally well on both nights) and the gym was very well equipped and maintained.
Two great additions were the fast wifi in the rooms and the provision of a free travel pass for our time in Basel - this which meant we could get to the Old Town (Tram 6) and Train station (Tram 2) easily as there was a stop right outside the hotel - it also allowed us to get back to the airport for free. We did walk to the old town/train station a few times and it took about 15 minutes. We have stayed in cities all over the World and this is the first time we've been provided with a pass like this - a fantastic idea that I hope other cities take on.
We also appreciated that the English channels on the tv included BBC and ITV/ITV2 - this is very rare and it was nice to have options of what to watch when in the room (not that we were in the room all that often!)
The hotel isn't 'fancy' but its functional and provides an excellent base for exploring Basel. I would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: We had a room on floor 12 which had a lovely view over Basel from the floor to ceiling windows.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
PEmmel, Manager at Hyperion Hotel Basel, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear Guests & "Reviewers"

Thank you very much for the time you took to write a comment on TripAdvisor. We strongly believe in the importance of guest feedback and are pleased to learn that you enjoyed your time with us.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Have a good time and Thank you once again. Kindest Regards from Switzerland, Petra Emmel & Team
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Ramada is located at the Messe (exhibition center) and it is known for being part at the tallest Basel building. In spite of the professional and friendly staff, the hotel experience has been an average one due to room quality when compared to similar hotels. Also the room service was strange (towels not changed, bath gel / shampoo not replaced and empty ones left). Left credit card for any consumption, but you need coins for vending machines. Not really more than an average stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
PEmmel, Manager at Hyperion Hotel Basel, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Guest! Thank you very much for your comments written on Tripadvisor and for having chosen the RAMADA PLAZA for your stay in Basel. First of all we are happy that you were satisfied with our staff. Opposite to that we do understand that your expectations have been slightly different in regards to some of our services, but assure you that we are working constantly on future improvements to make this hotel being the best choice for a traveller when visiting Basel for business or pleasure. Therefore we have discussed the lapse in our usual cleaning standards with the housekeeping department, to ensure that this error is isolated and won’t occur again. Once again I thank you for your constructive feedback, and do hope that we may welcome you back to the RAMADA PLAZA Basel in the near future.
Petra Emmel, General Manager