“Some good things, and some not so good.” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hyperion Hotel Basel
Ranked #22 of 51 Hotels in Basel
Sint-Amands
“Some good things, and some not so good.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

I'm spending my last night of a one week stay at the Ramada. I would classify this as a standard 4 star hotel, ideally located for a business visit to Basel, or for visitors of the Messe Center or even the Basel Tattoo event. Tram stops are nearby, and you can find yourself in the city center in less than 15 minutes. This hotel has a number of good things going for it, but there's certainly still room for improvement.

On the positive side, the hotel staff at the lobby as well as in the SkyLounge at the 30th floor all seem very friendly and helpful. I got a snack in the SkyLounge which I really enjoyed. The room I got was located on the 13th floor and offered a really nice view on (part of) the city and surrounding area. The room was very clean, and I especially liked the modern interior design in the bathroom and shower. Sleeping comfort is outstanding (I can tell considering the severe back problems I'm suffering of at the moment). The breakfast buffet was also great, unfortunately I found the price to be a bit high, and I've seen other similar hotels do better.

On the negative side, I was somewhat disappointed to find an empty refrigerator in my room. Sure enough, the visitor can get something out of a drink and snack dispenser in the corridor on each floor, but I find this approach rather uncomfortable for the guests. Also, I've been in similar 4 star hotels that offered a Nespresso machine and complementary coffee pads in each of their rooms, so in my opinion this would also be a point to improve on.

On a next visit to Basel, I certainly wouldn't mind staying at the Ramada again, but I might as well try out one of the other 4-star rated hotels in the city. In my opinion, the hotel management should be thinking about undertaking some action if they want to hold on to their current reputation and rating.

Room Tip: Try to get a room as high a possible, for a great view on the city of Basel.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank LucVanBogaert
PEmmel, Manager at Hyperion Hotel Basel, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Dear Mr van Bogaert

Thank you once again for having chosen our hotel and thank you for you for taking the time to share your impression of your visit on Tripadvisor.

It is very important to me to get your opinion and comments, since it will help us to maintain the standard of the hotel and its quality of service.

I was pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay and will pass your comments to my team. We will be happy to refil the minibar upon request according to your wishes and to provide you with coffee-/tea facilities for your next arrival.

Looking forward to welcoming you again at our hotel, I remain

Petra Emmel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012

Was in town for the Champions League game between Basel and Man Utd in December, so hotel space was fairly limited in the city centre hotels.

Personally, the Ramada Plaza felt too far out of town and the hotel was very functional. Not a place where you could chill out in the lobby.

It felt like a shopping centre with a coffee bar whenever you went down to reception, although one of the plus points was the decent food.

Overall, it was a boring hotel and a typical business location. No issues with comfort or cleanliness, but if you're in Basel as a tourist, stay in the centre.

It's a lovely city, but the Ramada is too far out of it.

Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Euro327
, Manager at Hyperion Hotel Basel, responded to this review, July 15, 2012
Dear Guest & "Reviewer"

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed comment regarding your stay in December 2011 at our hotel.
Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us, and we will utilise your response by continuing to focus on making each and every guest experience the best it can be.

Being situated in the "Messeturm/Fair tower" half of the tower consists of offices, which is the reason why the lobby is not a typical hotel lobby. With the mobility ticket free of charge you reach the city center in 5 minutes by tram or a nice walk to the river Rhine within 15 minutes.

Once again I thank you for your feedback, and I do hope that we may welcome you back to the RAMADA PLAZA Basel in the near future.
Kind regards,
General Manager & Team
Worcestershire, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012

Staying here now and leaving on Monday. Room ok but no coffee or tea facilities - something you come to expect these days. Sat in the dark since 7am as lots of cranes outside window and don't want to have to get dressed just to take a view! Loud thump can be heard every 5 seconds, had to sleep with tv on to drown it out. Good point is bathroom nice and air con loud so helps to hide the thumping noise!

• Stayed July 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
, Manager at Hyperion Hotel Basel, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Dear Guest & "Review

I am really sorry to hear that your stay wasn't up to expectations and that you didn't have a good night sleep due to the construction that took place at the fair ground, which will be finished soon.
Please accept my apologies for the inconveniences caused. For your next stay, I recommend our executive rooms with coffee/tea facilities and will be happy to assist you if you contact me on petra.emmel@ramada-treff.ch.
Thank you again for sharing your concerns and allowing us the opportunity to ensure that your next visit will be a positive and pleasant one.
Kind regards,
home
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2012

My husband and I planned a Uniworld Rhine River Cruise. We flew from SFO to Amsterdam direct then onto Basel. Spending 4 days in Basel as our 1st base and then embark Uniworld. Booked our
hotel based on the reviews of Tripadvisor. We were not disappointed. Upon arrival we requested a quiet room,needed after our long flight. We were given the 14 floor rm # 1424 which looks out upon the city and also some contruction going on. We were a little skeptical thinking it would be noisy,so requested to look at another room, but went with our first option. Despite the cranes and work machines....no noise. These contruction sites are the cleanest I have ever seen, and their machines the quietest. Our room was very nice and clean. Queen bed,very comfortable,down comforter,pillows and quite spacious for European standards. I love that all the rooms have floor to ceiling windows with auto blinds to boot! There is a desk with free internet access,a safe,tv,mini bar. The bathroom is nice,vessal sink,lighted floor,and modern shower. Requested 2 more pillows for husband and extra bath towel no problem. Staff is very friendly and helpful and multi language spoken. We visited the Skylounge which has a beautiful view on the 30th floor. Hotel has a restaurant/fitness/spa. We both would recommend a stay for roughly $125 daily. The transportation system is very easy and one located outside our Hotel...free pass given by hotel. Good Thai restaurant one block away, and corner deli one block away.

Room Tip: Our room was # 1424 and was facing northwest
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CaliforniaEllen
, Manager at Hyperion Hotel Basel, responded to this review, June 28, 2012
Dear Guest & Reviewer

Thank you for your effort writing such an detailed report on Tripadvisor.

I was pleased to read that you really enjoyed your stay and that the construction of the Fair Basel did not disturb you at all.

Looking forward to welcoming you again at Basel, I remain

Swindon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2012

Business conference facilities were excellent. breakfast/lunch/dinner were very good quality and the nightclub on 31st floor was very convenient.
my room was a little on the small side but acceptable for one person but maybe a squeeze for a couple for 2 nights. The rooms were very clean and modern and the bed comfortable.

Room Tip: some rooms overlook the factory roof behind but many colleagues commented on their excellent views f...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
PEmmel, Manager at Hyperion Hotel Basel, responded to this review, June 4, 2012

Thank you for your effort writing on Tripadvisor.

I was pleased to read that you really enjoyed your stay during a conference.
Looking forward to welcoming you again at Basel, I remain

jerusalem
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2012

excellent view from our corner room at the 8th floor
1 km only from the center of the old city.
Trams stop just in front the hotel
very modern hotel with great service

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nissim_12
PEmmel, Manager at Hyperion Hotel Basel, responded to this review, May 31, 2012

Thank you for your effort writing on Tripadvisor.

I was pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay. Looking forward to welcoming you again at Basel, I remain

Baden, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2012

Very good standard, modern and efficient. The sauna (mixed) is perfect and open until late.
Conveniently located near the fair and not fair from the city center.
Remarkable bar on the top floor.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
PEmmel, Manager at Hyperion Hotel Basel, responded to this review, June 4, 2012

Thank you for your effort writing on Tripadvisor.

It is very important to me to get your opinion, since it will help us to maintain the standard of the hotel and its quality of service. Furthermore we will be able to correct small mistakes immediately.