“Great hotel for price in Basel”

Hyperion Hotel Basel
Ranked #21 of 51 Hotels in Basel
Massachussetts
“Great hotel for price in Basel”
Reviewed January 31, 2012

The good....

1. Depending on the season and what show is at the convention (messeplatz) the price can vary, but is reasonable for all you get
2. Modern rooms,floor to ceiling windows with great views of the city. Nice bathrooms
3. Free Internet that is hi-speed.
4. Toblerone on your pillows
5. They have a free spa with sauna and steam; lounge area; slippers,bathrobes, towels and lockers. It is co-ed, so don't be surprised to see the opposite sex there
6. Key locked elevators. You wave you key over a pad and enter floor to summon an elevator. I don't worry about my computers in my room when I am not there
7. Little known fact: Free Mobility pass that can be used even before you get to the hotel. You can ride any tram in Basel for free as long as you have a print out of your reservation before you check in. The pass then allows you free tram or bus rides in Basel city during your stay. Very convenient.
8. Tram 2 and 6 stops right in front of the hotel for drop off (gewerbeshule)and about 80
yards to catch a tram (messeplatz) into the heart of Basel city

The not so good...
1. Breakfast is pricey as others have mentioned, 29 CHF. Food is expensive in Basel and in Switzerland as a whole. There is a Migros food store in Claraplatz (2 tram stops) where you can get prepared food, breakfast pastries, fresh bread. Etc. There is also a Starbucks in Claraplatz but a grande cafe americano will cost $6 US.
2. fitness facility is below par....1 treadmill a couple of ellipticals, rowing machine, stationary bike. A small set of light dumbbells. Not impressive or useful. Use of a full service gym such as Migros Fitness Park will cost 35CHF....not cheap
3. No pool

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
PEmmel, Manager at Hyperion Hotel Basel, responded to this review, February 2, 2012

Thank you for your effort writing on Tripadvisor.

It is very important to me to get your opinion, since it will help us to maintain the standard of the hotel and its quality of service. Furthermore we will be able to correct small mistakes immediately.

I was pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay. Looking forward to welcoming you again at Basel, I remain

RAMADA PLAZA Basel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
England
Reviewed January 30, 2012

This hotel was pleasant.
As the tallent habitable building in switzerland the view was good, but not outstanding.
The rooms are comfortable and modern, with TV in various languages.
The bar opens until 11.00
Tram links are good into the centre of Basel.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed January 5, 2012

I loved the reception we got when we arrived the hotel! The staff were friendly, asked about our journey and better still offered us a welcome drink once we got settled into our room. We later asked for tourist attraction sites, which we were gladly told and adviced how to go about the city. Later in the evening, we were offered passes to disco at the top floor of the hotel. My boyfriend then wanted to give me a birthday surprise and organised with the hotel staff on how to go about this.....It was the best bday in a long time! Thereafter the hotel offered us a room right at the top with a great view and complementary champagne! The room was spacious with a great vast view of Basel, it was sparkling clean and so was the bathroom which had a great tub and shower!
Breakfast was great and so was the room service....I must say we got exceptional service at this hotel.
Even as we were leaving the staff bid us a very friendly and warm goodbye! I must say with such service; I will find it hard to be impressed the next time I visit another hotel as this was just the tip top!

Room Tip: Choose a room prefarably on the top floors, the view is better!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

London
Reviewed January 1, 2012

Stayed here for business interviews with a pharmaceutical company in August 2011. This is a great location if you are here on business and if the company is paying for it. Hotel is very clean and you can have a fullon view of the city from your room. Rooms are smaLlish but clean and neat and you will find a complimentary toblerone at your arrival. Breakfast offers a great choice yet quality is just ok. This hotel is very pricey if you don't have a swiss salary. So unless you have 300ish euros to spend for a single room per night you should look elsewhere.PS Service is very good and not pompous which is always appreciated (personally)

• Stayed August 2011

Seeheim-Jugenheim, Germany
Reviewed December 29, 2011

I stayed in this hotel for a business trip and was impressed.One wall of the room was basically a floor to ceiling window offering great views of the city. The rooms are modern, nice touch with underfloor lighting in bathroom and very comfy bed. However the buffet breakfast is a bit steep at 29 CHF. The free Wi-Fi and the free city tram pass compensates slightly. The location at Messeplatz is only 5 minutes walk from Basel BAD Banhof or two minutes by tram. There are tram stops either side of the hotel which makes travelling to all parts of the city pretty easy. Easily the best hotel I have stayed in so far in Basel.

Room Tip: Ask for high floor room to get the best views
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business

Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed December 22, 2011

I stayed in this hotel due to business reasons and I can say that I was quite impressed. As soon as I entered the room, I felt as if from a movie. The room was all surrounded by glasses, which allowed me to have a great view of the city. The room and also the ground of the bathroom had special lighting. The bed was comfortable; the room was well decorated. It is possible to take a bath with the wonderful view of the city. The buffet breakfast, Wi-Fi in the room, tram pass and also a welcome drink in Bar Rouge, which is on the top floor of the hotel are also included. The rooms are a bit expensive, but if you book early enough, it is possible to get reasonable prices. It is only 5 minutes from the German railway station, and about 15 minutes from the Swiss railway station. There is a tram stop just in front of the hotel, which makes it very convenient to reach places in the city. If I ever have some special visitors in the city, I will recommend them to stay in this hotel

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Diamond Bar, California
Reviewed December 19, 2011

Located close by the intersection of many streetcar lines, the Ramada manages to escape the predictability of many large scale, convention hotels. Our room came with a free "mobility" pass so that we could take the streetcar into the older city. The lobby is large and has a coffee bar with room for conversation. Good security with an electronically keyed elevator system.The rooms are equipped with free wifi. The breakfast buffet on the third floor, also included with our room, was extensive and (gasp!) had great coffee. The unique feature of our room was the lighting underfoot in the bathroom. Create your own disco! Mattresses were a bit too firm, but the duvets were heavenly. Fridge comes unstocked, so you can stop off at a local Coop and get some goodies to keep on hand for snacking. The Fitness Center is well-equipped with several cardio machines, a rack of hand weights, a stability ball, and a stretching ladder. If you are traveling to a convention, this is THE place to stay in Basel.

Room Tip: All rooms feature floor to ceiling windows, equipped with drapes and electronically activated blinds...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple