“Small rooms, location noisy”
Review of Hotel du Commerce

Hotel du Commerce
Ranked #42 of 52 Hotels in Basel
Reviewed April 26, 2012

Found myself booked into this place, and realised I needed a upgrade to a larger room, and was offered a non-smoking one that stank of smoke. Finally given a double room in the renovated section (differentiated by smart wooden doors) on the first floor.

Room was ultra modern but still small and not somewhere you'd like to while away an evening. The location is great if you are going tothe conference centre opposite, otherwise it's a walk through unattractive streets or a tram into town.........I became a fan of the No.6!

Whilst I'm sure safe, I wouldn't recommend it to female travellers due to the surrounding area. The staff were efficient, but not engaging, and the buffet breakfast worked well.

Room Tip: If you want to stay in the centre there are better options much closer or in the Old Town across the...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank StewartStone

Reviewed March 27, 2012

Hotel is situated close to Basel Fair and city center, walking distance, but there are also trams and busses. Rooms are small, beds are not so confortable. Quailty of sleeping is not good. Rooms are looking over bussy streat, so forget about oppening window or balcony use. Rooms from 3rd to 5th floor do not have WiFI, there is a cable in the room, but very short. Modest service in hotel.

Room Tip: Solution for short stay
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank mikimiki70
Reviewed March 9, 2012

I stayed in Hotel for 2 days on a business trip. The staff was nice, but I was surprised the size of my room.

I was on the top floor and the room reminded me of a prison cell, with a small compact bed and a tiny table in the corner with the TV on it. There was a toilet, but no door to seperate toilet and hotel room. I felt like I was in a prison cell.

I was on the top floor, and there was a big private balcony outside, which would have been a benefit if it had been in the summer time. The balcony was almost the same size as the room.

So if you book here - avoid the rooms on the top floor - unless you are very interested in a big balcony.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms on the top floor are very small, but has a big balcony
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank nilastica
Reviewed February 21, 2012

First thing I noticed about this hotel was their staff is very fast and helpful.A friend of mine decided to come with me to Basel and because of the conference that we were attending all the rooms were fully booked. I was desperate and send them an email. Unexpectedly they answered within an hour and they agreed to put an extra bed in my tiny room. They charged a very reasonable price for the extra bed and breakfast for the extra person. Although room was very small, every inch was designed to use efficiently. When we arrived in our room a small box of chocolate was waiting for us on our pillows. Room was clean and bathroom was spacious compared to the rooms size. The hotel offered free internet and breakfast was included. Although breakfast buffet was limited, everything they offered was good quality and delicious.
It is very close to the conference center and also few minutes walk from the tram stop. It takes around 10-15 min to go to main train station. There are shops and restaurants closeby to the hotel and there is a mini market just around the corner.
I think they offered a very good service to us and definetely recommend it to others who are not willing to spend a fortune for a hotel room in Basel.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 17, 2012

I was there only for one night and I was very surprised by the low fare. My single room was very modern, the bed was a quality one, and the breakfast was much more than excellent. Most rooms are facing on the street and the tramway can be a bit noisy for some. Only one negative point: there was only one very small bathtowel and no towel at all on the bathroom floor. I will recommand this hotel. From the airport, take the bus no 50 to Central railway station and then the tramway no 2 till Messeplatz (max. 30 min alltogether). The hotel is less than 2 minutes from here.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 3, 2012

The hotel is nearby to the conference center (Messe Basel) and is primarily targeted at attendees thereof. But it is conveniently located if you're a tourist visiting basel.

As a hotel guest, you get a free Mobility-Card to ride buses and trams throughout the city. Most places of interest are easily reachable by tram from the hotel.

The room itself was basic but clean, but you can hear some noise from the outside. Breakfast was ok.

Staff was friendly, but check-out took a while because there were numerous people checking out at the same time.

Would stay in this hotel again without question.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 8, 2011

The room: small, with a single bed, but clean and complete, good bathroom, hot water, safe, couch, desk. And affordable.
At the reception several languages were spoken. The elevator is extremely slow, but staying on the second floor I didn't really need it. Breakfast buffet didn't have the default scrambled eggs and bacon, it was more local oriented. The soft boiled eggs were just right. If you're staying in the front of the hotel, there is a tram track right in front of you. Didn't bother me though, I guess they stop riding somewhere during the evening.
I enjoyed my stay, even though I spent minimal time at the hotel room. The location is good: with the free public transit pass you're in the city center in no time.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo