“Art for arts sake?”

Ranked #4 of 51 Hotels in Basel
lincoln
“Art for arts sake?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

I want to be fair to this establishment but I'm not sure I get it. It is certainly in a charming location and the courtyard bar and restaurant were lovely and so was the breakfast but our room in the art building was a mystery to me....It was certainly a large enough room but the 'art' element was limited to a large transfer picture of some peaches on one wall. The whole room was painted a rather unpleasant light green which had rather alot of dirty smudges on it). There were 3 beds marooned in the centre of the room surrounded by a tangle of electrical cord and plugs that were positively dangerous. The TV was large but what with the beds in the middle of the room there was no-where to comfortably watch tv from. I did beg some extra pillows and we did move our beds to one side of the room but it was still hard to get comfortable. In short this was an expensive room that was too short on style, sensible design and most of all convenience for the price. It needs more thought and more money spending on it in order to justify the price.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank maryhalifax
Wyniger R, Inhaber at Der Teufelhof Basel, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Dear Mary

First of all, thank you very much for your detailed feedback. We are always thankful to be informed about the impressions our guests get during their stay in our hotel and thank also for the compliments.

Our guest and cultural house is famous for its unique hotel rooms, especially in the “Kunsthotel” where you stayed. The rooms are constantly redone by various artists with a special theme. At the moment, the theme is “Colors”. The concept is that we decide on a theme and let the artist do their work. As we are not artists but hoteliers, we let the artist do their work. And: Art gives always a theme to talk about. Some people love it, some people do not know if either they like it or not. But is sure always gives something to talk about.

Good news tough:
As we want the concept to be lively and changing: We are already planning the next set of the Art rooms which will be done in 2013. Then, famous artist will work in the rooms again and we can present them in a new way. We would be happy to welcome you again in our hotel at that time and let you getting a new impression.

Regarding the electrical cord and plugs we would like to apologize for. As the theme is color, the beds are in the middle to not interfere with the color. That brings it with it that we need to work with the cord and plugs going through the room. It is definitely not in our meaning to present our rooms in a dangerous manner and we will confer with our housekeeping team what we can do on that topic.

Please accept our excuses for the inconvenience you had during your stay in our hotel. We take your feedback serious and keep this in mind especially for the next redecoration.

Thank you very much.

Raphael Wyniger, Owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Hebrew first
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012 via mobile

The building is a gem with many many unexpected surprising corners. The rooms in the Kunsthotel equally surprising and very nice with a warm touch that make the whole experience outstanding. Super friendly and competent service and the location 5 minutes walk from Marktplatz make of this little hotel probably one of the best destination in Basel Stadt. Andre didn't try the restaurant that is supposed to be excellent

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Tel Aviv
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights while being in Basel for a project meeting.
The hotel is very conveniently located near the center of the city with a short walking distance to the river.
The rooms were spacious and simply furnished. For my taste it was good and practical and those who drink coffee would probably enjoy the capsule coffee machine in every room.
Breakfast was simple and good. One suggestion I have is to add some vegetables to the breakfast table. It is not an expensive thing and is a very welcome and healthy addition.

Service was great and all my requests were quickly met with a smile.

I would definitely stay in this hotel again if I come to Basel again.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the ourward from the central courtyard as you never know who the other guests m...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Canton of Basel, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

My wife and I spent a few days in this Hotel in June 2012 as part of a business trip. Der Teufelhof is a wonderful Hotel and according to our assessment also the best Hotel in Basel.

The Hotel has a lot of character, part of a very old historic building, with rooms that are decorated with a lot of thought. We occupied a split level room just below the roof with wooden floors, a tv corner with sofa, modern bathroom, an office area upstairs with our own nespresso machine and a romantic sleeping area.

The Hotel is in the middle of the center which makes is very convenient to reach other destinations in Basel. The Hotel also comes with an excellent restaurant (when we lived in Basel before, we have been to the restaurant on separate occasions).

We found the staff in the Hotel also friendly and the breakfast very complete (you are asked pro-actively if you would like eggs and how you want them).

The Hotel came with all amenities expected of a modern Hotel (except maybe for a fitness center although we didn't look for it) but with the special, unique character of a boutique Hotel. We will come back if we are in Basel next.

Room Tip: 3rd floor in the galerie hotel (room nr 9)
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for one night based solely on the high rating on trip advisor. The hotel is u-shaped with a courtyard in the middle immediately near the entrance for guests. They placed me in a room facing the courtyard. I find the hotel room okay clean and spartan tastefully designed though not that impressive.

The noise of the tram in front of the hotel is okay; but a group of noisy guests in the courtyard is not. If the hotel should have group of guests having drinks at night should them inside the restaurant; as it is I had to endure and put up with the noise of these rude guests up to midnight.

Definitely will not stay again nor recommend this hotel. Only saving grace for me were the nice staff. Though on my checkout they were so eager for me to pay up even before I cleared out of my room with my luggage that I paid twice without knowing it! I paid the reception in cash went upstairs took my luggage down. Then the reception told me that she had unknowingly made me pay again and all along her colleague already charged my credit card! Not nice. Though she gracefully told me about it and that they credited back the amount to my credit card.

Room Tip: Check out Hotel Sarazena in Zermatt if you ever go to that area. This hotel is the lowest priced hot...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Adrian H
, Inhaber at Der Teufelhof Basel, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
Dear Adrian

First of all, we would like to thank you for your detailed feedback. We are proud of our top ratings in the rating portals and therefore it is always important for us to be informed about circumstances like this because we are really anxious for improving ourselves and be best of class.

We are sorry that you had to endure this noise of a group in our courtyard and will do everything possible to avoid any disturbance for our hotel guests in the future. Thank you for pointing that out.

Regarding the misunderstanding at your check out we will confer with our front office team as this is definitely not our manner to handle the settlement.

Please accept our excuses for the trouble you had during your stay in our hotel. We would like to assure you of the fact that we take this really serious and hope nevertheless that you will give us a chance again.

Thank you very much.

Raphael Wyniger, Owner
Lugano, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2012

Wonderful hotel: we spent just one night and everything was absolutely perfect! Small and charming traditional house that has been renovated in a modern and contemporary style. We had a family room with plenty of space, very clean and at a really fair price for Swiss standards. The staff is extremely kind, helpful and competent. The location is near the university, contiguous to the old town and the pedestrian zone: in just few minutes’ walk you can reach the city center and the different attractions of Basel. We had a very pleasant dinner in one of the restaurants of the hotel. Everything was outstanding food, service and ambiance.
My ratings (max 10):
Quality/price ratio: 9.5

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank lulfil
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2012

simple immaculate roon,very quiet facing the old town.Excellent restaurant,fantastic breakfast that keeps you going all day long.

• Stayed May 2012