“Wow!”

Ranked #4 of 51 Hotels in Basel
Sydney, Australia
“Wow!”
Reviewed April 14, 2012

An excellent boutique hotel with friendly, helpful staff and wonderful options for dining. Amazing cellar, taking you back to the history of the city. A welcome deviation from the standard big chain hotels.

A hotel with atmosphere. My home away from home.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Francois804

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Hebrew first
United Kingdom
Reviewed February 5, 2012

This is with no question the best place to stay when in Basel, forget your well know standards Hilton etc. which are twice the price without breakfast and no wifi. This place has style and quality, plus a good restaurant, 5 stars would be more appropriate for Teufelhof than Hilton

• Stayed February 2012
3 Thank drtcoBov
Reviewed January 24, 2012

great location in the city center, the staff was very friendly and helpful

• Stayed January 2012
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2012

The four star rather than five star rating is really down to one factor - an incredibly hard bed and single thin pillow. Other than that, the service and location are excellent, with lots of those thoughtful touches that make a hotel stand out.

Located on a quiet street close to the city centre, we were warmly greeted, and full marks to the staff for allowing my husband, who speaks decent German, to do so, rather than automatically switching to English as so many hotel staff are wont to do. We we too early to check in but were able to leave our bags, which had then been delivered to our room when we came back later that afternoon. The room was right at the top in the roof and rather sparsely furnished, but with a good coffee machine and complimentary bottled water, which was replaced each day. I would prefer a bath to a shower personally, and found the towels a bit thin and scratchy, but there were cosy bathrobes to make up. From other reviews, it sounds like the rooms to go for if you can are the ones in the annex rather than the main building.

We also got given a "mobility card" which provides free use of all Basel city public transport, very useful given how expensive the place is (you leave every restaurant in Switzerland feeling vaguely like you've just been robbed). This place is reasonable value for money by Swiss standards, especially as it includes a decent continental breakfast.

Staff were uniformly helpful and welcoming, even down to the chef who pointed me downstairs to the loo when he spied me from the kitchen window looking lost by the bar.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank MirandaMEJ
San Francisco, California
Reviewed November 24, 2011

I stayed at the Der Teufelhof in Nov 2011 for five days on a business trip. I thought the hotel and the property were cute and quaint, but the rooms themselves left a lot to be desired. The hotel has an excellent location and the hotel itself has two restaurants, a nice, little bar and a wine shop. Here are the highlights and my comments:

Highlights:
1. Location - The hotel itself is about 2-3 short blocks walking from Barfuserplatz which is home to many restaurants and bars.

2. Breakfast - breakfast was included in my stay and it was delicious. It was a traditional Swiss breakfast of cured meats, cheeses, museli, fruit, and made to order eggs. The food was very good and I enjoyed my breakfasts every day.

3. Property - the property itself is cute and artsy. It reminds me of a larger bed and breakfast. The property has a high end restaurant, more casual restaurant, separate bar, and a wine shop.

Comments:
1. The room - The room was absolutely tiny, even by European standards. The concept is minimalism, but taken too far. My room had a tiny desk, bed, and plastic chair. I found the bed to be OK, but not the most comfortable. The duvet and pillows were down, but I could feel the plumes poking through. It was a whitewashed room from floor to ceiling that was devoid of color or character. I never really felt comfortable in my room. Since the floors were hardwood and absent of rugs or carpet, I could hear the person in the next room walking like they were in my room. I'm sure they felt the same about me when I would put my dress shoes on in the morning.

Verdict - The property itself was great with an excellent location, but the rooms left more to be desired. I never truly felt comfortable in my room.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank jfrworld
Sydney
Reviewed February 2, 2011

The hotel consists of several adjacent town houses all connected to each other. This gives the hotel a homey feeling. There is a welcoming bar, two restaurants, a theater and a well worth seeing wine shop. All set in these beautiful historic buildings.
We booked a room in the designer styled part of the hotel. Our room was crisp and clean. I loved the way it was designed and that it did not feature a TV (even though you could ask for one). The staff is very friendly and helpful. The location is perfect to explore the city, everything is within walking distance. Perfect!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed November 7, 2010

We stayed at the Teufelhof for 4 days and our stay was just perfect.
The concept of the hotel is to be a cultural, arty, gastronomical, modern and traditional treasure in a typical authentic swiss house in the oldtown.

The staff was very helpful and kind. We've got an upgrade to one of the art rooms in the Kunst Hotel. The view over Basel was just breathtaking! and we've loved the concept of the art room, as this was something unique which we've never experienced before.

The hotel is quite small (around 40 rooms?) but the rooms have a good size and modern furniture. We believe that is much more authentic (and romantic) to choose the teufelhof than any other big hotel chain. What I found special, is that in the basement there is the old towns wall and a tiny archaeological museum.

We felt like home. The breakfast buffet was amazing. Great choice of everything, fresh croissants, fruits etc. Just perfect (I loooved the fresh home made "silserli Bread" mmmh) We've had dinner in the newly opened restaurant l'atelier. We loved the concept of the menu choice and the atmosphere! Great!

And of course we tried out the gourmet restaurant bel étage and it is the best 1 Michelin star restaurant we have been in Basel. They have a great wine list which makes it difficult to choose, but the somelier gave us a good recommendation.

There is nothing i didn't like about the stay. The room, the location, the food, the staff, the shop, the museum, the theater, the art, the house , a real gem!
Next time we are in Switzerland we will definitively stay at the teufelhof again and again and again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business