I stayed here with my daughter and son-in-law prior to a Viking River Cruise from Basel to Amsterdam. The location was perfect for taking a tram around the city. The hotel gives tram passes for your length of stay which is a plus. The no. 2 tram takes about 15 minutes to the main train station and has a stop across the street from the hotel.
I booked and prepaid our rooms and got a very nice discount on the room cost. The check in was very efficient and we were offered an upgrade on the room. At $80.00 per night extra it was still a great price. The room was large with a sitting area, espresso maker and work desk. I called Housekeeping twice for small adjustments and the response time was very quick. I was pleased they sent a young woman to assist me.
Breakfast was typical Swiss with breads, cheese and a chef for made-to-order requests. More than I expected for about $25.00 US. Everyone I came in contact with the hotel had a fresh ready to help attitude and the Concierge Desk helped us with our requests and made helpful suggestions. Don't want to forget the Bar and the couches in front of the fireplace in the lobby. Nice added extra for a drink before bed.
For a hotel advertized as catering to business travelers, I felt very safe, comfortable and well attended to by the staff as a leisure traveler. Around the hotel are many coffee shops, various stores and a great restaurant with local Swiss food and great local beer on the corner from the hotel. Within walking distance of the downtown area. Loved the hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Basel is not only a Swiss City with a big heart, with a smile on their face people from Basel proudly declare it a major city in pocket size format and they are right. The city by the Rhine offers everything you could wish for in a city trip. Culture and Business go hand in hand and only the sky is the limit. The same holds true should you decide to stay at the Swissotel Basel. No matter if you are traveling to the border triangle, the old town, the Rhine, the musical theatre or to other numerous sightseeing spots in Basel, all of which are in walking distance. Centrally located you will not only enjoy our elegant guest rooms but also real Swiss hospitality. Swissotel Basel provides 238 spacious rooms and suites with satellite LCD TV. Start your day right with a sumptuous breakfast at our Grill 25 restaurant or room service, make use of the complimentary newspaper, free wifi, complimentary use of our Puerovel Sport with a sauna and a steam room. Our concierge team would be delighted to assist in planning a day trip or assist in getting tickets to numerous Events and shows. Additionally our gusts truly value our pillow menu in the guestrooms as well as the espresso machine. Should you feel the need to discover even more of Basel and its surroundings, you can make use of your complimentary mobility ticket, which is provided to you for the duration of your stay to use the public transportation system, even for the day of your arrival and departure. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Fairmont Hotels, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, Priceline, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Swissotel Le Plaza Basel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Swissotel Le Plaza Basel Hotel Basel
- Swissotel Le Plaza Hotel Basel
- Basel Swissotel Le Plaza