Greed has its limits. But nobody told that to the person who sets the prices at the Steinenschanze. The room I was in was not worth more than CHF 180 per night. But, because there was a conference in town, they charged CHF 410. For this amount of money, may expectations were very high. I expected:
- a hotel in a classic Basler building with a historical façade,
- a lively, spacious, well-appointed lobby,
- a bar,
- a nice restaurant,
- a high-end, stylish room.
The disappointment started when I stepped off the bus and saw the building. The hotel is on a nondescript street which could be in any industrial city. I thought I was in Moscow. It is like a bunker. It all went downhill from there. There is not much of a lobby, but at least the receptionist was semi-friendly, but totally unapologetic about the price. I could see that the management has the caveat emptor philosophy.
As soon as I saw the room, I was livid. It's not that it was a bad room. It wasn't dirty. It's just that I was about to pay CHF 410 / night for a room that was not even worth HALF that price. I had to get to the conference so I had no time to find another hotel. I felt like I had just been robbed.
Under CHF 200 / night, this is a decent, functional hotel. Clean rooms. The WiFi works well and is included in the price. Breakfast is good.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Steinenschanze Stadthotel has everything you want from a modern and comfortable hotel: Ideally located in the center of Basel, near the old town and near the University of Basel, the museums and the most important institutions. Very easy access to the convention center and the Messe Basel: 9 minutes by car or 14 minutes by tram. Very good access to Airport Basel: 12 minutes by car or 30 minutes by bus. Contemporary urban design, friendly and bright Gstfreundlicher, likeable service, rich breakfast buffet with lactose and gluten-free, vegan offer. Free Wi-Fi. Not much indicated from the outside out: in this haven of peace and relaxation in the middle of the city. Here in the garden you can have breakfast in warm weather and take your aperitif to be. Or simply cuddle up with a good book on one of the comfortable garden chairs and listen to the whispering leaves. Give yourself a break from everyday life. In Steinenschanze Stadthotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, World Independent Hotel Promotion, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and HRS so you can book your Steinenschanze Stadthotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Minotel Hotel Basel
- Minotel Basel
- Basel Minotel