“Great location”
Review of Hotel Victoria

Hotel Victoria
Ranked #22 of 51 Hotels in Basel
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I recommended it because its location, just across the train station. Rooms are good and service in front desk was very kind. I recommend asking for a room in the back of the building away from the noise of the train station and streets. There's a tram station just in front of the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in a high level and away from the noise in the street.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

Right across from station and trams into town centre.
It was very hot when we stayed but there was aircon in our room, (contrary to what some other guests have reported- maybe it varies by room). I wouldn't say it was terribly effective but then it was extremely hot outside.

My tablet remembered the wi-fi log-in from my previous visit a few days before so had no problem there.

We didn't take the breakfast but there are plenty of options in the station, one of which has a serving window outside so you can grab a quick coffee there.

Room Tip: We had a room on the station side on first visit; and the opposite side on the second. Both were fin...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I choose the hotel because of the location... Just accross the road from the train station.
I reserved a Junior Suite fir 3 people and was given a room on the "residence" wing.
That part of the building is in the back if the hitel so you wint have priblems with the noise of the trams.
The room 163 was just about big enough for 3 as when the sofa bed is open you dint have much room to curculate.
The shower was good and theres a small balcony with table and chairs.
The free internet was good but I had the same lroblem as everybody else... Username/password all in caps and disconnects if the screen goes black in tablets/phones.
The main problem is the air con. Its a huge unit in the room that makes a huge noise but it just not strong enough to chill the room....the unit was set at 16 degrees and stayed on all day/night and the room was still a sauna (it was about 36 degrees outside)
I only spent 2 nights there and I couldnt wait to leave (the hotel.... Basel is great)

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank decosp
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I stayed here by myself for two nights last weekend. As Steve_Blag mentions in his review, they have no aircon and the unit next to the bed sounds like an asthmatic lurching around trying to find a cigarette. Plus, the unit seems to have just an on and off function....if there were instructions for further settings the meanings were extremely obscure. I came back at 11pm the second night and it simply wouldn't work. So, I called down and the guy on duty came up five minutes later, breezily, with a bucket! He siphons off a bunch of water from the unit and on it comes again. Really, in Switzerland?! Guys, get some aircon! The second beef I have with the hotel comes with the wifi.....it is free, but they don't tell you you have to sign up afresh whenever you shut down your device. And they don't tell you that ALL the letters for both the ID and the PASSWORD are in CAPS. Since many of us travel nowadays with only tablets or smartphones, we don't have a caps lock button. Which means that every time I went from breakfast (expensive but excellent) back to my room I had to go through the same mind-numbing routine. Note to hotel: clean this up. Last note: the staff is good and professional, there just don't seem to be enough of them (often just one). Other than that, the hotel is all you'd expect.....very clean, comfortable, very adequate bathrooms and beds, and I suspect if they listen a little they can easily upgrade the two areas I mention here....if I go back to Basel I'd call them and ask.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 3, 2013

As far as locations go, you can't beat this - it's right outside the main station and tram stops, and in full view if you get the bus from the airport.
Welcome was great - very friendly and overall the hotel was ok.
Downsides: no aircon but for a large portable unit right by the bedside, meaning it was very loud indeed, and not very effective. I needed earplugs to sleep.
Housekeeping - overall ok, but as I washed my face, i noticed that the nail file on the tray in front of me had clearly been used. No disaster, but made me wonder what other shortcuts had been taken.
Lights above shower were naked bulbs and not suitable for use in a damp area (raised this on checkout) - i.e. not IP-65 lights. I'm not allowed to use them in my house, so certainly not allowed in a hotel. Technical, I know, but potentially hazardous.

For one night though, it was fine, but I wouldn't rush to return unless it were colder and not requiring ventilation.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank steve_blag
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I have never written any reviews and this hotel deserves to be the first. I mentioned that my wife was turning 50 years old and that we would be the week staying in this hotel and I wanted it to be special. My wife also hates to be on lower floors. Upon our arrival the hotel clerk was fast and friendly to provide a room key. To my surprise and that of my wife the hotel had given us the best room in the hotel, on the 5th floor over looking the train station. The room, the service, the location of the hotel and the great breakfast they had was one of the best and I highly recommend this hotel to anyone that needs a straight answer. Thanks to the management for making this a memorial vacation and a great birthday for my wife.

Room Tip: Room 503 is the best...
2  Thank Lyle B
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We were driving down from Germany for a Art|Basel weekend, which was a bit stressful once we got into the city. Driving around doesn't make any sense here and good thing the hotels give out "free" public transportation tickets. The underground parking lot entrance seemed like a block or so away, but we were actually able to find a spot near the hotel's elevator entrance. One night of parking - 25 CHF.

Check-in went smoothly and we got an upgrade. Nice! 4th floor overlooking the tram stations. Not a bad view if you don't mind people watching. And obviously, rumblings from the trams are inevitable. Light sleepers be aware though I actually slept just fine in our big comfy and firm bed. If you need some free info/guides/maps, there are brochures at the reception area as wells as the info center outside in a tent at the tram stations.

Basel is expensive. Period. Nearby alternatives to hotel breakfast if so inclined, go across the street to Tchibo's cafe, Starbucks at the other end or check inside the SBB. For the price, location, and easy access to the trams on a last minute booking - it was worth the splurge.

1  Thank mannash