“Very good hotel”

Ranked #12 of 51 Hotels in Basel
london
“Very good hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

Just returned today after a lovely weeks holiday in the stunning Black Forest. We spent most of our time in the Freiburg area but as we were flying home from Basel,decided to stop for one night in this lovely city.We selected the Schweizerhof hotel for its convenient location for airport.This hotel has been renovated to a very high standard and is far closer to a 4 star than its listed 3 star.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2012

We recently stayed at Hotel Schweizerhof and got a great deal on hotels.com for a Business Class Double Room. The hotel is newly renovated with lovely hardwood floors. The washroom is lovely as well and the shower is great! The location is good too - very close to the SBB train station and a 15 minute walk from the Aldstadt (Old City). However, the bed was very unstable and felt like it might break at any moment and the blanket was not big enough for two people. The tram car noise was noticeable but not really a problem for us (we've lived in many major cities in the past and so the noise is no worse than most cities). The reception service, however, was lacking. When we checked in, we were told that breakfast was included and were shown the times for breakfast and the room for breakfast. The next morning we called reception again to ensure that breakfast was included and were ensured that it was. However, upon check-out, the hotel tried to charge us CHF 20 per person per breakfast, after explicitly telling us that it was included twice! The lady we dealt with at reception was unhelpful and insisted it was our fault. While the hotel room was nice enough, I would not return based on the poor service we received. They really need to sort out their customer service issues.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank wanderingnomad111
Basel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

I inadvertently booked our room twice over "easy to book". Found it difficult to cancel the booking, so did the staff at the hotel. BUT... The hotel itself was a stones throw from the station, clean, quiet, professionally run, just great. Definitely will stay here again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

If the 3-star rating puts you off, don't let it! This hotel is a cut above what you would expect for that level and I support their philosophy of providing great service but without extra (costly) "4 star" frills! You can't get much more central than this hotel, as it's directly across from the main SBB train station, airport bus stop and major tram interchange. This means travelers stopping along the way to somewhere else or wanting convenience to all area attractions have it made here. Yes, it is busy and you can hear the rumble of the trams, but this was not a problem for me, especially with the a/c going at night. Room furnishings were simple but comfortable and there were free soft drinks, free Wifi (try getting that in a 4-star hotel!), and the shower was fantastic - all nice plus points above expectation. Everything was spotless, as to be expected in Switzerland, and the staff were very helpful and pleasant, even remembering my coffee order each morning at breakfast. Breakfast by the way (included in my rate) was very good and included a lot of local fruits, milk products and bread, which was nice.
Overall, the convenience and extra touches would make this a good choice for travelers who want amenities and central location with a bit of character. This is not a luxury hotel, but a quality hotel that pays attention to the little things that matter!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank inkwave17
Auckland, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2012

I booked this hotel because it was near the railway station and avoided the need for taxis and for that it worked well. The hotel is modern with bright, clean, nicely furnished rooms. My single room had a wider than usual single bed and a good sized bathroom. However, you could definitely hear the trams rumbling by outside. I had specifically asked for a room at the rear to avoid the noise as I was facing a very long 30 hour journey home the next day, with two long-haul flights. But I decided to make do and hoped that I would be able to sleep until I heard the loud cry of a small baby in the next room which was obviously going to recur during the night. So I asked if I could be moved and pointed out that I had asked for a quiet room. It wasn’t as if I had paid a discount price so I thought my request wasn’t unreasonable. But I was told that there was no other room available. Although when I persisted and asked if I could speak to the manager, suddenly another single room was found and I was allowed to move. However this room was even closer to the trams and it was impossible to sleep without earplugs and the noisy airconditioner running.

Otherwise it was a very pleasant hotel and the provision of a fridge on each floor containing compliementary bottles of water, soft drinks and juice is a nice touch. There is free wifi which worked well. I didn’t pay the high price for breakfast so can’t comment on it. Other than the noise, the position is good as you can use the free transport pass to hop on a tram and explore the city. But I wouldn’t stay here again unless I could get a quieter room.

Room Tip: Be sure you can get a room at the back unless you are a heavy sleeper.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2012

We stayed for two days in May. Ambient room.

PROs:

- very spacious room (unlike the regular ones all along the Swiss)
- renovated room
- own parking (but only 5 lots - all were busy when we came)
- location (although not in down town, but just next door to the railway station which was really convenient for us, as drove in by car and left by train)
- good staff
- nice, though not rich b/f (but what you would expect - it's onyl 3 star Hotel, nevertheless I consider it a good one)
- knowledgeable of local cuisine staff (though some dont speak English well enough)
- free wifi in the room
- tea/cofee facilties in our room
- even bathrobes and slippers!

CONs:

- noisy a/c
- no minibar whatsoever (although there is one... "common" located on your floor with very few free items)
- was hard to make/hold shower "upright"

So in the end - I would recommend to stay here for sure!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Marina_Ivashina
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights 21st & 22nd May. Hotel is riht opposite main Basel train station. From outside Hotel you can take a bus direct to Basel Mulhouse airport- 20 min. Clean and efficent service. Very polite and helpful reception staff. 3 Star Hotel. Room clean and well equipped but no fridge. But on the same floor there is a large fridge stocked with soft drinks free of charge. Do not stay overlooking the station as there are trams running from 5 am to 12 at night. Can be very noisy. Good bar, good breakfast. Hotel gives you free card that can be used on trams and buses. Down town about 5 min by tram no 8 & 11. Lots of good resturants. Good atmosphere.

Room Tip: Have a room not overlooking the Station.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business