Trattoria aroma
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 3, 2012

After reading all the reviews for Trattoria Aroma we had pretty high expectations for our dinner there. Not to worry! Our experience was better than we could have hoped from the time we walked in the door until we bade them farewell. The host was wonderful, our server was delightful and the food was everything we had expected it would be. I would say reservations are a must as we saw several guests being turned away because there were no tables available. We will definitely be back on our next visit to Basel.

1  Thank strawberryroan

Reviewed August 14, 2012

I am Italian and was travelling around Switzerland and had some local food for a few days. Tonight I felt the real need of having some home-made dinner. I wanted some classic spaghetti. I tried trattoria aroma and as I walked in I suddenly felt a warm but elegant atmosphere. The food was excellent and proper Italian. The host was friendly and very welcoming. I reccomend trattoria aroma to everyone who wants to catch a glimpse of what italian cousine is like.

1  Thank Simone D
Reviewed August 3, 2012 via mobile

1. Pasta is "Al Dente"
2. Carbonara, Gricia, Amatriciana pasta dishes are prepared with Guanciale and not with bacon (thanks god).
3. They fortunately do not cook with cream (real carbonara is not cooked with cream).
4. They fortunately do not serve pasta with meat together in the same dish.
5. Deserts are good but they could improve it.
6. The only place god good central Italian cuisine.
7. They are polite and gentle.

1  Thank Bulba
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I had dinner in Trattoria Aroma on a Tuesday evening. As others have pointed out, this place is located on the first floor of a building in Sattelgasse, and it is not so easy to find, but this is a relatively small street next to the busy Marktplatz, so just have a good look around and eventually you'll manage to find the trattoria. I went there just after opening hour and the place was almost empty, but I could see from the reserved tables that aroma must be a quit popular restaurant in Basel. Service in aroma was very friendly and correct.

For starters, I sticked to my personal favorite Caprese salad. I've been to places where they managed to ruin this very simple dish, but not here: the mozzarella cheese just tasted wonderful, the tomatoes tasted delightfully fresh and I got a very nice portion of it. Just one remark: the complementary bottle of olive oil didn't do much for me: it didn't smell as top rated olive oil should and the taste was only mediocre. Obviously it had been kept way too long in the glass bottle and lost all of it's flavor.
After that I decided to choose the home made fresh pasta all'amatriciana. This also turned out to be a really good choice: simple dish as well, but the taste of both the pasta and the sauce was just delightful. I drank the home wine, which I found to be a really decent wine.

In summary, I would say that I can not imagine anyone leaving aroma disappointed, and I would recommend this place without any hesitation. One small point of criticism though, which apparently can be said for most other restaurants in Basel, is the price of the food.

2  Thank LucVanBogaert
Reviewed May 23, 2012

I thought it was a new restaurant when I first went there a few weeks ago for dinner, but it is open for more than a year. However it is difficult to find, in the first floor of Sattelgasse (no 3), behind Marktplatz (the main square in Basel). At lunch it is ok too, excellently cooked, but very limited choice (3 pasta dishes to choose from). At dinner, start with the antipasti della casa: They are simply a delicious variety of starters all of them delicious and special. Main courses and pasta excellent. Service very friendly and you feel the ambiance of a Roman trattoria. It has developed into a insider place so pre-booking is almost mandatory. Enjoy!

1  Thank turtle-diver