“Cheap and slightly cheerful”
Review of Basilisk Hotel

Basilisk Hotel
Ranked #43 of 51 Hotels in Basel
Kenya
“Cheap and slightly cheerful”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Reasonable value for money, we had a nice sized room but the beds were poor quality and hard as were the pillows, my wife got bitten by something! The staff were very friendly and the breakfast was good. Hotel for the travelling salesman (sorry salesmen). It's OK but not great and there afe far better in Basel but were booked.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the double rooms on the front corner
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
The Beautiful North
Reviewed April 17, 2013

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with it – - the rooms are clean, secure and a good price for Basel. The staff are friendly and helpful. The room was quiet and warm, even when it was -4 degrees outside.

However, it really is a ‘no frills’ hotel, apparently not refurbished for several decades.
Single beds are becoming a rarity in hotels these days, possibly due to guests becoming larger. Manufacturers of single beds, fear ye not. The single bed tradition is still going strong at this hotel.

At first I thought there was no washbasin in the room, as it definitely wasn'’t in the small ensuite shower room. However, I chanced upon it when I was putting my clothes away -– it'’s cunningly hidden inside a closet opposite the shower room.

Tip - there’s a basic pull-down shutter outside the window to help block out light and noise, which I also found handy to stop my carrier bag of food (AKA makeshift larder) falling down onto the street overnight.

There’s a small TV. I was somewhat disappointed to find no news programmes about the Watergate scandal, Cold War or oil crisis, as this would have perfectly completed the 1970’s ambience.
As it was, I had to console myself with drinking Liebfraumilch whilst lounging in my velvet flares.

I didn’t have any trouble with noise in the hotel, and slept very well.

One minor gripe: although there was a clear sign telling guests not to smoke in the room or risk a fine, someone had clearly enjoyed a lengthy cigarette session in there at some point.
I tried leaving the window open throughout the day, but even this didn'’t get rid of the smell. Maybe it was the spirit of 1973, lingering in the room.
I was slightly worried I’'d be blamed for the smell, but I wasn'’t. However, it might be worth mentioning to hotel reception if your room smells of smoke when you check-in.

Hotel Basilisk is situated in Klein Basel, about 5 minutes’' walk from Mittlerbruecke and the river, and about 3 minutes'’ walk to the nearest trams in Claraplatz. The trams are exactly as efficient and clean as you’'d expect in Switzerland, it’'s actually a pleasure to use them. It'’s only a few stops from Claraplatz tram stop to Basel Bad railway station, which is otherwise 30 mins
walk from the hotel. The airport is only about 3 miles away by road, though I’'d allow 45 minutes by public transport.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank NightOwl34
BASEL
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I stayed in a single room for one night only. Room was ok, although it looked like as if I had travelled back in time to the 70s. I was looking for a cheap place to stay, so I didn't expect much. Everything was clean and staff were very frienldy, so I was happy and would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

1 Thank Evelyn K
Schoten
Reviewed September 22, 2012

As most of hotels were fully booked we ended with 3 persons in this hotel, in de centre of Basel. Underground car parking 100m. Late arrival, reception was OK. Elevator was clearly old and not up to date with current safeties. Room was rather small, as was tv, but everything was clean and silent over night. Breakfast was very good, nice assortment of swiss cheeses, fruit juice and several kind of bread. If you only stay for a couple of nights hotel is OK, not recommended for longer stays.

Room Tip: Do not take rooms at end of corridors, are smaller.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank PhilipSchoten
Ithaca, New York
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Our very large group - including my family of 4 - stayed here for a week. It was a basic hotel.

On the plus side, it was very near a tram stop. This would take you anywhere and was very reliable. It was also very near shops including a couple grocery stores. This is helpful if you are traveling on a budget as Switzerland is expensive.

The hotel staff was extremely welcoming and wonderful. Our large group was very high maintenance, so they dealt with us well.

The breakfast was fine and what you would expect in Switzerland. (Buffet of boiled eggs, yogurt, cheeses and meats, fruit, bread, etc.) The coffee was good and the wait staff was friendly.

The rooms for our entire group varied in size. The two that my family had were adequate, especially for Europe. They weren't huge but definitely spacious enough. They were clean, which is really, really important to me. The beds had duvet covers, so you didn't have to worry about touching yucky bedspreads.

On the minus side, the carpet in the halls is shabby. The furnishings are more on the sparse side. There is no air conditioning and it could get warm in the rooms. If you opened your window at night, you could hear the activity on the streets below.

I was surprised that the rooms were as quiet as they were. My kids had a room at the top of the stairs near the elevator. It was always noisy in the hall. However, little noise seeped through to their room.

Would I stay there again? Probably. It was very convenient and overall, a good, basic hotel.

Room Tip: Don't get a room near the elevator. It is the noisiest area. Also, ask about the room when you...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank TTMLexUSA
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed March 1, 2012

I spent a week at Hotel Basilisk in Basel.
The hotel is OK.
Parking fee in the garage across the street.
A 10-minute walk from the Convention Centre.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Swindon - England
Reviewed January 11, 2010

i stayed at the hotel Basilsk for 1 night only having watched football at the stadium between Basle and Fulham in the Europa League. The hotel was average and I was on a room only basis simply because my flight back to London was early in the morning. It was basic but clean. There was a complimentary drink in the room. The shower and toilet facility were very small. it was functional but 1 night was enough. It was sufficient for my requirements. The hotel is situated near a Tram route so it is easy to get around Basle. If you come out of the hotel turn left it is about 400 metres to the crossing that tales you over the river and into the city. It tales about 20 minutes brisk walk to get to the main railway station. For me the hotel was ok being a single traveller going to watch football. If my wife was with me then I would consider staying elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo