“Basic Hotel, good value for money”
Review of Basilisk Hotel

Basilisk Hotel
Ranked #43 of 51 Hotels in Basel
BASEL
“Basic Hotel, good value for money”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I stayed in a single room for one night only. Room was ok, although it looked like as if I had travelled back in time to the 70s. I was looking for a cheap place to stay, so I didn't expect much. Everything was clean and staff were very frienldy, so I was happy and would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

1 Thank Evelyn K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Schoten
Reviewed September 22, 2012

As most of hotels were fully booked we ended with 3 persons in this hotel, in de centre of Basel. Underground car parking 100m. Late arrival, reception was OK. Elevator was clearly old and not up to date with current safeties. Room was rather small, as was tv, but everything was clean and silent over night. Breakfast was very good, nice assortment of swiss cheeses, fruit juice and several kind of bread. If you only stay for a couple of nights hotel is OK, not recommended for longer stays.

Room Tip: Do not take rooms at end of corridors, are smaller.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank PhilipSchoten
Ithaca, New York
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Our very large group - including my family of 4 - stayed here for a week. It was a basic hotel.

On the plus side, it was very near a tram stop. This would take you anywhere and was very reliable. It was also very near shops including a couple grocery stores. This is helpful if you are traveling on a budget as Switzerland is expensive.

The hotel staff was extremely welcoming and wonderful. Our large group was very high maintenance, so they dealt with us well.

The breakfast was fine and what you would expect in Switzerland. (Buffet of boiled eggs, yogurt, cheeses and meats, fruit, bread, etc.) The coffee was good and the wait staff was friendly.

The rooms for our entire group varied in size. The two that my family had were adequate, especially for Europe. They weren't huge but definitely spacious enough. They were clean, which is really, really important to me. The beds had duvet covers, so you didn't have to worry about touching yucky bedspreads.

On the minus side, the carpet in the halls is shabby. The furnishings are more on the sparse side. There is no air conditioning and it could get warm in the rooms. If you opened your window at night, you could hear the activity on the streets below.

I was surprised that the rooms were as quiet as they were. My kids had a room at the top of the stairs near the elevator. It was always noisy in the hall. However, little noise seeped through to their room.

Would I stay there again? Probably. It was very convenient and overall, a good, basic hotel.

Room Tip: Don't get a room near the elevator. It is the noisiest area. Also, ask about the room when you...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank TTMLexUSA
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed March 1, 2012

I spent a week at Hotel Basilisk in Basel.
The hotel is OK.
Parking fee in the garage across the street.
A 10-minute walk from the Convention Centre.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Swindon - England
Reviewed January 11, 2010

i stayed at the hotel Basilsk for 1 night only having watched football at the stadium between Basle and Fulham in the Europa League. The hotel was average and I was on a room only basis simply because my flight back to London was early in the morning. It was basic but clean. There was a complimentary drink in the room. The shower and toilet facility were very small. it was functional but 1 night was enough. It was sufficient for my requirements. The hotel is situated near a Tram route so it is easy to get around Basle. If you come out of the hotel turn left it is about 400 metres to the crossing that tales you over the river and into the city. It tales about 20 minutes brisk walk to get to the main railway station. For me the hotel was ok being a single traveller going to watch football. If my wife was with me then I would consider staying elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
London, England
Reviewed November 22, 2009

Great location near shops and restaurants at Claraplatz and tramstop just around the corner but it is approx a 15 minute walk into Central Basel. My room was ready despite arriving before 2pm. It was immaculately clean as was the shower room but a small floor tile was missing. And the air freshner was overpowering in the bathroom so I had to keep the bedroom window open as much as possible. The in room safe is provided free of charge for guest use as is bottled water. The bed was akin to a camp bed and during the night the mattress seemed to move away from the wall and be hanging off the base slightly but it was comfortable with a cosy duvet. The breakfast buffet was yummy with a good variety. The staff were cheerful and ready to help.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Cairo
Reviewed September 28, 2009

I booked a room in this hotel and upon check in I requested a room with a big bed and the receptionist was willing to give it with extra money of 100 chf for a superior room with and when i said that i dont want to pay more money and i just need a normal room with big bed so she gave me the superior room and CONFIRMED that i m not paying more money. After I checked in and I opened my bags, relaxed then went out for a walk. When I came back they started a long rude discusion and i discovered that they dragged my bags opened down to the lobby with all my stuff out and broke some stuff inside.

And the owner bumped speaking in a more rude way admitting that its her employee's mistake but I need to pay for HER EMPLOYEE's mistake.

I was planning to call the police and report it but I didn't in order to try to enjoy my vacation and start looking for a new hotel.

NEVER ENTER THIS HOTEL AGAIN.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Basel hotels