“Five Star Service”
Review of GAIA Hotel

GAIA Hotel
Ranked #5 of 51 Hotels in Basel
Reviewed June 7, 2012

I spent 8 nights here May/June2012 and I have to say the service by the hotel staff was about the best I can recall at any comparable hotel in the world. The location is terrific - next to the train station and nearly every tram than you would ever need to get around the city. We did day-trips from Basel all over Switzerland, the Alsace Wine Region (France) and the Black Forest (Germany). The hotel staff made one superlative suggestion after another to make each of these trips memorable occasionals. They help set up tour services upon our arrival at our destinations. Don't let me forget to mention the terrific breakfast every morning and the as equal service staff there. I'd go back here in a heart beat. And I sure hope I get a chance to. Did I mention that the location is so great you could walk to many of the Basel destinations of interest.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Chicago_Trox

Reviewed June 4, 2012

This is the motto you find everywhere in the hotel: with the small champagne bottle we had in the room, with the box of chocolates we received on the second day, on the nice toiletries, with the free drinks in the mini-bar and the choice of 2 different pillows. We stayed in rooms 501 and 503, and they are beautiful, comfortable, with a marble bathroom with natural light and both shower box and bathtub. Breakfast was very nice, with eggs, salmon, cheeses and all sorts of rolls: coffee was lukewarm, but apparently there was a problem with the coffee machine. The service was very kind, fixing our internet problem in no time and helpful with recommending restaurants and the best bus route. Will certainly go back again.

Room Tip: the rooms on the 5th floor are beautiful, but they are not the standard rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Eliane_60
Reviewed June 2, 2012

I have been on many European trips and St. Gotthard is by far one of my best hotel experiences. ALL of the front desk receptionists were very polite and helpful. We had many complicated requests including assistance in helping me with a surprise anniversary church service in another town for my folks who were also at St. Gotthard. St. Gotthard made sure every request was met. Alexandra especially and Emmanuel were very resourceful and always served with a smile. Hahn even accompanied my mother to the doctor after a traumatic bike accident. I could not have asked for better service. The breakfast buffets were fresh and the rooms always clean. The location is perfect for anyone who wants to hop on a train every day and although it is in a busy part of town, the rooms are quiet. The only thing I missed was a fitness room where I could work off all the bread and cheese I ate while I was in Switzerland!

Room Tip: My folks and I stayed in a room with a bed and a sofa that made into a bed. This worked well becaus...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Laurie C
Reviewed June 1, 2012

I always stay at the St Gotthard when in Basel, which is quite often.
It is in a convenient place, right at the train station and tram hub. (And like all hotels in Basel,you are given a free tram roaming ticket for the duraion of your stay)
The rooms are comfortable. There is a fre mini bar, WiFi, extremely wide range of TV channels - many in English.
The breakfasts are superb, and included in the room rate.
The staff are friendly and helpful.
Always my frst choice for Basel.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room at the back. The front rooms overlook the street and the trams start early. Its...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Mike S
Reviewed April 1, 2012

Stayed there in February, the staff is great and very helpful, they speak French, English and German.
The rooms are really clean and spacious with a mini-bar, TV and Wi-Fi.
A buffet is given for breakfast with eggs, cooked meats, fresh fruits, toasts, jam and drinks (orange juice, coffee, tea, hot chocolate).
Train Station is just in front of the hotel as well as the public transport. It's still pretty easy to walk around town from the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank S C
gotthard4002, Manager at GAIA Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your very kind and positiv review, which helps us better understand the needs and concerns of our customers.
We hope to have another chance to welcome you at our hotel!
Warm regards from Basel
Your Hotel St. Gotthard Basel Team

Reviewed March 5, 2012

It's not pure advertisement but the reality. Very nicely decorated rooms and great breakfast. Most important for me we had real coffee and not brown water. So I was immediately in good mood and didn't have to run to the first coffee shop around.
As you leave the hotel you receive Swiss chocolate which makes you even forget the bill.
Will surely go back.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank seyyahKohChang
Reviewed February 7, 2012

My second visit to Basel and third stay at this Hilton.

My first review as the last visit was before I joined Trip Advisor.

Very convenient location can be seen from the main railway station, once you look the right way…..

The price is reasonable for Switzerland but our currency has lost a third of its value against the Swiss Franc since I was last there

We were warmly welcomed. I had a small single room with a queen sized bed. The room numbers are slightly confusing as perhaps there are 2 buildings. Unlike 99.9% of hotels your floor number may not tally with the first number of your room number.

Didn’t eat in the hotels and there is no formal bar although they can serve you drinks. The minibar is complimentary, mainly soft drinks although 2 bottle of beer I remember.

Receptions staff helped with wireless access issue and provided us with our free transit card.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends