“I was upgraded to Hotel Euler”
Review of Hotel City Inn

Hotel City Inn
Ranked #30 of 52 Hotels in Basel
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Hotel City Inn guestes are advised to check in at Hotel Euler which is located right outside Basel central station so ideal if arriving in the city by train.

Upon check in, I was advised that I had been upgraded from City Inn to Hotel Euler, which was nice.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank James J
dfankhauser, Geschäftsführer at Hotel City Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Dear Hotel Guest
Thank you very much for your positive review. We are pleased you had an enjoable stay at the Hotel Euler.
Kind regards

Reviewed March 24, 2013

This place was a choice due to it's central location to the main train station and trams. The room was a good size and clean, with a really cool lime-green decor. The bathroom was nice and had a big shower area. Nice! The only issues I had were that it was a bit noisy in the room because the walls were not well insulated, and there was no closet in the room. I found it a bit odd that the hangers were in an open area and there were also no drawers for clothes. Had to live out of the suitcase for those three days. Strange. Since it was inside the more posh Hotel Euler, I found the staff and atmosphere a bit stuffy.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
dfankhauser, Geschäftsführer at Hotel City Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Dear City Inn Guest
Thank you very much for your positve review.
The open wardrobe is part of the new design because 90% of our guests stay just one night with us.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

We stayed at the City Inn Basel in mid January. It is situated just outside the central train station, and next to the bus connections. The room was immaculate. There was a claustrophobic effect to the room. We were on the first floor, but felt like we were in a basement. However, the room had the most amazing shower I have ever seen - complete with a disco light setting. There is an odd path to get to the rooms, but it’s not a difficult maze or a long trek. There was free WiFi. The breakfast was nice - nothing to write home about, but still nice. I liked it. I would recommend it for a short trip, or a business stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Marie-France R, Deputy General Manager at Hotel City Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Dear Hotel City-Inn Guest
Thank you very much for your positive review. From your explanations I understand you had a room facing the court with a so-called rain-shower. See you soon again at the Hotel City Inn.
Kind regards. Marie-France Richert

Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was perfect for our needs. It was very easy to get to from the airport (no. 50 bus drops you off a two minute walk away). Check in was easy and painless in their attractive lobby, the bellhop showed us to our room which was a little bit of a trek as it is in, effectively, a hotel attached to a hotel. The decor was an interesting shade of green but surprisingly inoffensive. The room, although not massive, was clean and comfortable; the shower had some power to it though! You need to watch you don't take your skin off! The only slight criticsm was the noise of the cleaners travelled into the room quite easily of a morning. This was not really an issue though!

The location was amazingly convenient. All the main trams stopped right outside (yet there was no problem with tram noise in the hotel). Also, if you felt like walking it didn't take long to get to the main areas.

All in all it suited me perfectly and I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: February 2013
dfankhauser, Geschäftsführer at Hotel City Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Dear Hotel City Inn Guest
Thank you very much for your positive review. We are pleased you had an enjoable stay.
Referring to the cleaners we take your comments very seriously and training in this regard our employees again

Reviewed February 28, 2013

I am a Basel virgin so when I have to attend MUBA exhibition I had to search some hotels as well as getting some inputs from friend (a Basel resident)

I was already bought when a friend of mine (a Basel resident) highly recommended this hotel. The location is excellent, close to main railway-station and being close to so called "Hauptbahnhoff" in Europe which means, you are close also to, cafes, restaurants, money changers, reisezentrum and so on

Even this hotel is not in the area where MUBA took place (Messeplatz) but Basel is not big town and getting around town is really easy and convenience. Just stepping out of the hotel there is also tram stop.

Well, this hotel is part of Grand Hotel Euler, so I guess this is the cheaper part as Grand Hotel Euler seems to offer more expensive rates but apart from the room you can enjoy the same facilities. Luckily I read reviews here so I know that check-in will be at Grand Hotel Euler's front office. Clever strategy!

I booked for a Deluxe-room for a week, having experienced many times traveling in Europe I notice most of *** hotel has small rooms therefore I decided to get a larger room which totally impressed me. The room is large and very convenience. The bathroom is also spacious.

I arrived at almost 1PM and of course, my room was not given (read: ready) before 2PM. This was a little disappointment as I arrived from halfway across the globe after 12 hours flight plus 3 hours lay over time so it would have been better if room was given right away. Anyway at 2.15PM room was ready after I waited for 15 minutes. The check-in was without hassle though and the reception staff ushered me to my room.

I booked only B&B basis as I notice breakfast is extremely expensive although I know things in Switzerland is generally more expensive than other European big cities such as Paris or Berlin for instance and being close to main station I do not have problem with breakfast, just 100m away you can find kiosk/small cafes selling coffees and croissants.sandwiches and the likes. You can also buy your logistics (waters, fruit, cakes etc) at the supermarket in the station.

There is also a Mister Wong (Chinese fast-food Resto) across the road, opens at 11.00 though so my suggestion is to always get your logistics well stocked from the supermarket to get your early bites than get a hot Asian meal here :)

Starbucks and Ex-Libris (small book/CD shop) are also a stone thrown away from the hotel.

Internet is free and worked perfectly. I extended one more night from my original schedule and the price given was slightly cheaper than one of the OTA I used to book my original plan.

Highly recommended

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your great review. We are proud of our employees who every day make a great job.
Best regards

Reviewed February 8, 2013

Great location near to the railway station and to other amenities like Paddy Reillys Irish pub! Yes very strange as it is a hotel within a hotel and the maze-like route would have shocked me had I not been warned by other trip advisor users before I went. Having said that the rooms were immaculate despite being so small and we had got a really good deal so didn't mind. Go to the railway station for breakfast - great selection of food between the supermarket and other places that do lovely paninis/toasted sandwiches/teas coffee etc. We brought ours back to the hotel and thoroughly enjoyed the reasonably priced breakfast compared to what we would have paid in the restaurant.

Room Tip: We slept really well in rooms at the very top of the hotel and at back with nice snowcovered rooftop...