“Great Traditional Swiss Food”
Review of Walliser Kanne

Walliser Kanne
Ranked #48 of 664 Restaurants in Basel
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Altstadt
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Great Traditional Swiss Food”
Reviewed March 21, 2014

A Swiss friend recommended this place to us as a place for good, traditional Swiss food, and we had a lovely time. The ambiance is dark and chalet-like, which adds to the charm, I think. We ordered the dried beef as an appetizer, and we each ordered a portion of raclette for our meal. Both items were excellent. The beef was more expensive than the raclette (I have yet to get over the Swiss prices- so, so, so expensive... and I am a seasoned European traveler) but the raclette would make for a moderately priced meal for anyone wanting a traditional dish. You are basically served a plate of melted cheese with some onions, gherkins, and boiled potatoes for dipping. Not fancy, but traditional, and exactly what I was going for. Many people around us ordered fondue, which looked delish. The schnitzel was made table-side, and also looked very good (and the German-speaking people surrounding us seemed to be enjoying it immensely). It is advised to drink white wine when you eat one of their cheese dishes, and although I do not care for white wine, I do love champagne, and they had it available by the glass. We ended our meal with cappuccinos- WARNING, their cappuccinos are DIESEL. We drank it at 8 pm and were up until 2:30 am wide awake. That was unusual for both of us, so caffeine-sensitive people, beware! Next time we are in Basel, I would love to return here and try more of their traditional dishes.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Kate B

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Basel, Switzerland
“Typical swiss dinner”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Some colleagues from latin america wanted to try typical swiss food, so we took the to the Walliser Kanne. We had the regular foundue, which was good but quite expensive. Service was very friendly and helpful.

• Visited January 2014
Basel, Switzerland
“very good!”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

great , traditional Swiss menu.
very high Quality Food, Service and wine list.
excellent schitzel, soups and salad.
Fondue with champagene , brilliant!

highly reccomended.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank colin B
Ramat Gan, Israel
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent!!!”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

very euthenics experience, Swiss food at his best! Wiener schnitzel is highly recommended, with spätzli or rösti, a perfect delight!

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Uri R
Basel
“Not for me”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Five of us went to eat here last week. It's not the first time that I have been but I must say that I will not go again. We were with a couple who were new to Switzerland so we had fondue as a starter - way too heavy as a starter but a very nice fondue. Two of our party then had the weiner snitzel which is cooked in butter by the table. I do not like butter and the smell was so overpowering that at one stage I thought that I was going to be sick. Maybe we were sat in the wrong place but I've never had that problem before. I had the sausage with onion gravy and rosti. The sausage had lots of gristle in it and for me was inedible. All in all the experience, for me, was very bad so I feel that I could not recommend the restaurant to anyone.good

• Visited February 2014