“Excellent”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Safran Zunft

Safran Zunft
Ranked #57 of 641 Restaurants in Basel
Cuisines: French, Swiss, European, Central European, International
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Large groups, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Altstadt
Description: The mansion of the spice traders was originally built in 1450. Besides the picturesque restaurant it locates three small banquet rooms on the first floor and the medieval guild hall on the second floor. In December 2014 during the OSCE conference in Basel over 180 foreign ministers and politicians celebrated the official dinner in the Zunftsaal.
Sydney
“Excellent”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

I had dinner at the Safran Zunft with a large group of colleagues. The restaurant was able to cater for some 35 of us with a minimum of fuss. The restaurant is in a very old building and is obviously well-known and popular.

I found the food very interesting. The starter was an excellent salad followed by a very good veal dish then dessert. Service was also very good.

• Visited November 2012

Bern, Switzerland
“Very nice restaurant, excellent food, can have a better service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

Safran Zunft is an excellent restaurant in Basel, one of the top 5.
The food quality and choice are excellent. The Beef Chateaubriand is a must try. The variety of the menu is excellent and definitely food is culinary delight.
The service is okay, can do much better. Waiters are just friendly and polite, nothing more and I had to wait too long to be served, for example the Beef Chateaubriand is served in two parts (one big service plate with big beef piece and vegetables, potatoes and mushrooms presented together) unfortunately I had to wait too long between the two service, which cut my hunger and this is very bad.
I will come back to this restaurant next time visiting Basel, but if service stay at this poor level, it will be my last time.

• Visited November 2012
USA
“Worth the price!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

Other reviewers have already commented on the interior so I will focus on what I think is the most important...the food!

We stumbled onto this restaurant one night while walking around the old town. When we walked in it was full but they made a table for us, luckily. We did not expect much (living in Geneva generally prices are high and quality is low) but we were so surprised! Hunting season is currently going on and the menu reflects the seasonality of the products & produce they use. I ordered venison stew which came with saffron spatzel (i normally don't like but did) & cabbage. It was wonderful! My colleague had bacon wrapped veal and she loved hers as well. The wine they proposed was a South African red and it went perfectly with our meal. We enjoyed our food so much we even had desert, while a splurge, we really enjoyed them. (I had an apple and pumpkin crumble with vanilla ice cream)

The service was a bit slow but we weren't in a hurry & the lovely woman who sat us at our table was able to speak with us in French as neither my friend nor I speak much German. Another plus is that the menu was in German, French & English. We had a great time and I will come back here the next time I am in Basel!!!

P.S. The bread that comes before the meal is excellent, do not pass up the brown seed bread!

• Visited October 2012
BNE, AUSTRALIA
“Referred by Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

Excellent food and wine with Swiss prices. Restaurant has great ambience with typical Swiss architecture. Easy walk from our hotel.

Visited September 2012
La Jolla, California
“Good food, great atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

This was a great restaurant. We came here for a business dinner, it is small and housed in an old gothic room. You really feel like your in old Europe here. The food was great, and the service was sharp.

Visited September 2012