“Now that the TV works, I like it”

Aparthotel Adagio Basel City
Ranked #29 of 51 Hotels in Basel
Kenley
“Now that the TV works, I like it”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Whoever would have thought I’d like a hotel with a grey-and-red colour-scheme? Well, surprisingly, I do. I like this stylish, modern, designer-ish place. I like it for its practicality, its location, its friendliness…

Practicality: it’s an apartment hotel, so you get a small studio flat – convertible bedroom/living room, bathroom, kitchen – all fully equipped, and well equipped (where else at this sort of price would you find an iron & board, cothes drying rack, bedside CD/radio, internet TV, safe, microwave, coffee maker, microwave, dishwasher…) It’s not luxurious, and the rooms are not enormous, but I’ve stayed here several times now, for two or three nights at a time, and it makes a great change from a conventional hotel. Some reviewers have complained about the edges of the folding bed (it folds up into the wall); I don’t agree, I don’t find them either dangerous or painful. The bedroom/living room, bathroom, kitchen are all mercifully well-lit – no depressing gloom here.

It is conveniently located for lots of things – you’ll have your own priorities in Basel, so I won’t attempt to list them. I will mention though that it is not on a train or tram route. That makes it quiet (actually most of the rooms face onto an internal courtyard, so they are even quieter). And there are trams and buses at each end of the street, literally at about a minute one way and a couple of minutes the other. There are plenty of places to eat, at various price points, nearby (this hotel does not have a restaurant). Step out of the front door, turn cross the road and turn right, and less than 100m away you’ll find the Rheinfelderhof restaurant on your left, which is an honest, old fashioned, traditional restaurant that provides some of the best value in town. And before you even get that far – almost opposite the hotel – you’ll pass a small food store, so you can stock up the kitchen (so long as you are not looking for fresh or perishable produce).

The staff have been unfailingly friendly. Not because they now recognise me, as I see different people every time; they just are smiling and helpful.

Breakfast is a buffet bar. Relatively limited – not four-star standard – but an adequate selection of hot and cold offerings, including pastries.

Any downsides? Well, I’d love proper clothes hangers instead of the moronic anti-theft ones. And the Accor loyalty points scheme is rubbish (definitely not a good reason for choosing this hotel) – I’d love a more rewarding scheme. But that is pretty much it.

I got very annoyed with this Adagio a few months ago when there were no non-German TV channels for an extended period. That was the single occasion on which the staff let down the hotel. But now there are over 100, in a range of languages – including several in English (most major UK terrestrial channels among others). And the TV can act as a web browser, though it is not much fun to use. Luckily you get free wifi, so that is no problem if you bring your own device. And, finally, like EVERY hotel in Basel, every guest gets a pass for unlimited free travel in Basel during their stay (I think that extends to your trip into the city from the airport or railway station, but you might want to check).

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing inside for quiet.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank macroKenley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 14, 2013

I was in Basel for a conference but traveled there with my husband and two young children. On arrival we had an exceptionally friendly and helpful greeting from the gentleman at reception. The sofa bad was already made up for 2 to sleep when we entered. The set-up was perfect for 4 people and I was thrilled to see so many doors so we could close off the living room when the kids went to sleep. I was pleasantly surprised to see a dishwasher - didn't expect this at all, even a small one was a great help. And a full-sized refrigerator was great. It was great to have a tub for bathing the kids but the separate shower was very small and there was no place inside the shower to place soap/shampoo/shower gel. I wound up putting my toiletries on the sink and reaching out for them, but then a lot of water got on the floor - so that was a poor design. Other than that, the room was entirely very clean and I was pleased with the space. There were a number of closet areas. And they provided a vacuum and charger converter. I did notice 2 light bulbs were out but I didn't bother to complain. In fact, the loss of light made no difference and I only noticed because I was confused by light switches that didn't seem to do anything. My husband also noticed a socket at the entrance to the room that was pulled out of the wall a bit. Concerned that we'd be blamed, he told reception right away - they fixed it the next day and even left a note to make us aware that they did. Also - I didn't notice it at first but my husband saw that there was a drying rack in the wall over the tub. This was convenient for clothes that couldn't go in the dryer. I have to say - after living in this hotel for 5 days, I now know what it would be like to live in an Ikea catalog - all the furnishings seemed to be straight from Ikea. But it was comfortable enough nonetheless.

We also used the laundry facility - it was small with just a few machines, but thankfully empty so we had no problems time-wise. It was quite expensive to do our laundry (12 CHF washer+dryer) but what a pleasure to have clean clothes after a week of traveling and we weren't done with our travels yet. There is also an exercise room that looked clean and adequate to get a work out done it, but we did not take advantage of it. All in all, I can't complain about this centrally located, comfortable, clean hotel with excellent service.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank blondemommy05
Cook Islands
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed here for 7 nights with 2 kids, 3 and 7 years old. Our apartment was on the 5th floor, suitably laid out for a family. It had a balcony which we had most of our meals on. The kitchen was fully fitted with everything useful. We cooked most nights. The bedroom was quiet and had its own TV. The kids slept there. The sofa bed folded out and slept 2 adults very comfortably. We did not pay the cleaning fee, we just swapped towels etc as we needed. My sister had the garden apartment on the 1st floor. It also had everything and was suitably sized. Ask how to use the AC as this was a mystery. The location is in walking distance (1-2 mins) from tram and 10 mins to the old city. Ideally located to everything. The hotel is clean and well maintained, very modern. I would highly recommend this as a place to stay with family or friends.

Room Tip: Request rooms on the 1st or the 5th floor. You will get a garden or a balcony.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank naturalcookie
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed July 20, 2013

It was first time that I stayed at Adagio hotel and overall I was very satisfied! Location wise it was close to city center, easy to access, room was spacious and clean. It was very good choice and I strongly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Bonn, Germany
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I was on a business trip to Basel for six days and stayed Adagio the whole time. The location of the hotel was central, easily accessible to trams and there were restaurants and shops within walking distance. However, the price was a little bit too much to pay especially when no cleaning is included. Otherwise, the place was okay, furnitures were modern, and quiet. The service was okay, the receptionist was rather helpful and tend to our request for the car park and gave us directions to get around.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Stavanger, Norway
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Let me first mention that the location is very good if you wish a central hotel. No view or garden, but well placed in the very middle of Basel. The room was not really an apartment, it was a normal hotel room (comfortable sofa bed, one chair, desk/chair) with a kitchenette.
For this - as a double room - they charged us 471 CHF (332 Euro) per night (!) without any breakfast. But ok, we accepted the price when we booked.
We arrived on a Sunday and spent all of Monday out of the hotel. In the evening, we discovered that no-one had been in the room; no cleaning, no fresh towels, no nothing. We went downstairs and complained, and the receptionist shrugged and told us that "well, most of the guests arrive today, so I guess they didn't do any cleaning today... they will probably come tomorrow" (yes! true story!!) In the end they delivered towels to the room, but honestly: We pay 332 Euro pr night and they can't be bothered to clean until there are more guests in the hotel?!?
Finally, the room was very hot at night. We turned the dial all the way down but it made no difference. I assume the aircondition was turned off, so we just got the fan going. So we didn't sleep very well.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple