“Best for Buffet”

Indian Tandoori Palace
Ranked #26 of 645 Restaurants in Basel
Cuisines: Indian, Asian
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Buffet, Delivery, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Vorstädte
Basel, Switzerland
“Best for Buffet”
Reviewed June 21, 2012

This place is the best option for Buffet in basel. The Ambience is perfect with soothing indian music in the background.

The food was not that great in taste, but is good.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank Anirudh404

Jakarta, Indonesia
“If you're craving Indian food in Basel, this is the place to go!”
Reviewed June 10, 2012

I always judge an Indian restaurant on how well they can cook their Naan bread. Indian Tandoori palace does not disappoint. Their naan bread is excellent and I always over order it here. Also recommend their butter chicken, it is one of their best dishes. The other thing I like about this restaurant is that you can request your dishes spicy, although only recommended if you are use to spicy Indian. Otherwise, make sure you have lots of beer or water on hand.

One area for improvement is their samosas. They seem store bought versus homemade. Still good but could be better.

The prices are Swiss prices so they are what they are. If you want a deal, then take the buffet at lunch on Monday's to Friday's. They sometimes have a dinner buffet on Fridays and Saturdays.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank Bmorecmore
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I am an Indian and proud that in city like Basel you can get spend lid Indian food”
Reviewed April 30, 2012 via mobile

We spent two days in Basel. After taking dinner on first day we promised our selves that next day we will take our food here only.Food was excellent.Mr. Khan took very good care as we wanted our food mildly spiced.Rotis were crisp and hot.Rice was excellent with yellow dal.A must visit in Basel.

1 Thank shaur
Songkhla Province, Thailand
“If you like a good 'English' curry, then this might be a good option.”
Reviewed February 19, 2012

We found this place by accident; it was literally next to our hotel in Basel (the Hotel Rochat) so given the choice of the hotel restaurant, wandering the streets of the city or this restaurant, it seemed the natural choice. In addition, there were at least three other eaters in there, which seemed a good sign, and the menu had us excited.

Now I have definite views on Swiss service, so what you read will have to bear that in mind. If you haven't been in Switzerland before, or have just got here, then the service, or lack of it will annoy you. They're just not that bothered. Not bothered if you like the food, or indeed if you don't, not bothered where you sit, not bothered if you tip, not bothered if you ever come back again.

We were greeted, chose a table and were basically left alone for most of the meal, other than to take our order, deliver it and collect the plates. Anything else, like complaining that some of my chicken was raw in the middle, took a bit more effort on our part. So I don't rate the service very highly, but putting it in context, it was actually ok. They dealt with my complaint with some degree of concern and brought me a plate of roast chicken legs (???) as compensation. It was tasteless and I was already full, but I appreciated the effort.

The food was pretty good. I have got used to building up my hopes of eating good indian food in Switzerland, and then having them dashed. Chicken Madras tasting like a casserole and more heat in the washroom hand drier than in the food. I don't think many Swiss like hot, spicy food. This, however, was a really good effort and we enjoyed it. I had a tasty chicken jalfreizi and my partner had a fantastic chicken saag dish. As a bonus, you get rice with the main courses, which takes a bit of sting out of the CHF 25-28 main course prices. The naan bread was good too. Our bill, for two main courses, bread a large beer and a soft drink (+ free jug of tap water) was CHF 77.

The clientele sounded a mixture of English, local Swiss and tourists. All seemed to be enjoying the food.

The bonus was being able to walk 10 metres back to the hotel!

• Visited February 2012
2 Thank MelvinHopkirk
“Overpriced”
Reviewed January 18, 2012

The food wasnt bad but could be fairly characterized as small in portions and seriously overpriced. The waiter on hand was pleasant enough but the atmosphere could have equally been a traditional Swiss restaurant - all in all a real disappointment after reading other glowing reviews.