“Top Quality, Excellent Ingredients, Nice Drinks” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of southern-cross

southern-cross
Reserve with
southern-cross is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 2 Dessert in Heemstede
Cuisines: Seafood, Australian
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dublin, Ireland
“Top Quality, Excellent Ingredients, Nice Drinks”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

I ate here with some Ducth friends who loved the place. I had some reservations about an Australian Fusion Restaurant in the Netherlands. However these were unfounded. It sources good quality ingredients ( which is a theme that I see in other good Dutch Restaurants), and the quality of presentation is top class. I enjoyed the meal from start to finish and really enjoyed the wine that we had with it. Pity I cant remember the brand !

I will return on my next vist to Amsterdam.

• Visited November 2012

Haarlem, The Netherlands
“A very pleasant experience after 10 years”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

As we associated Australian food with kangaroo and crocodile, we had not been here before. We heard that they also served excellent fish dishes, so we tried it out.

We were not disappointed: the food was fabulous. I took the five course 10-year celebration menu and the rest of the family took the three course dinner, where you can select from eight choices per course ( that is if you are not vegetarian, then there is one choice).

It started with sugar cured Tasmanian salmon, very, very tender. Also the sashimi tuna tartare was great. And it didn't stop with the starter: lemongrass crusted red drum fish fillet and Black Angus flank filet were both fantastic. Australian wines belong to my favourites and the wines certainly met my (high) expectation.

All in all a very good diner at a very affordable price (€32.50-€35.00 for a 3 or 5 course menu).

The only slight slip was that we had to wait rather long for some courses, but perhaps that was caused by the fact that the restaurant was fully loaded.

We will definitively be back and before ten years are over (we should have been here ten years ago).

• Visited February 2013
Haarlem, The Netherlands
“If you are looking for real Australian cooking!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

Try Southern Cross in Heemstede, the Netherlands.
They serve food based on Australian cooking and they serve also nice Australian wines and beers. The staff understands the australian cuisine and can therefore almost answer all questions. But that is not all, the staff is also very friendly.
it is advised to reserve a table in adsvance for about 2 weeks.

• Visited November 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Australian top cuisine in Holland”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012

While the modern Australian cuisine is receiving a lot of (positive) attention lately, there seems to be some confusion about what Australian cuisine really is. And even after having dined on several occasions, I am still looking for differences between the modern Australian cuisine of Southern Cross with other fusion cuisines. 'Typical' Australian ingredients like crocodile, Barramundi fish and kangaroo are used for some dishes but other dishes are mixtures between European, Chinese and Indian food, which is nothing new. Perhaps, that is what Australian is, an amalgam of various cultures.

The quality of the food at Southern Cross is top-notch for this price range (30 - 40 Euro for a full meal excluding wine). Although the Indian and Chinese influences are without the genuine fiery flavours, all dishes are prepared with skill and love, using fresh ingredients. Barramundi fish filet with sweet potatoes and shiitake simply melts in your mouth and so does the heavenly delicious roasted kangaroo with tandoori sauce. The wine list is good, but the house wines (Australian of course) are usually excellent. Professional service and friendly owners should be mentioned too. Just be sure to make a reservation as the restaurant is fully packed during the weekends.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Venneper
“My third Time in southern cross And always at The top without négative point!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012 via mobile

I came there Last sunday evening And was Happy to dinner in thé terrace with beautifull weather And ambiance. Thé boss chiefs wife always welcome you with à smile And thé staff recognise thé regular clients. Thé second time our table was not ready And we had à porto from australia very good offer at thé bar. This Time I chose thé starter coquille And thé kangourou with spicy sauce, Well always tasty thé seafood And méat perfectly cook. My dessert was of course thé chocolaté that everybody need to try if you are à chocolate addict Like me. My girfriend took thé cheese with bleu d Auvergne And thé famous goat cheese selles sur cher which Côme from One of thé better cheese Shop in thé district in Santpoort And called l amuse. It was funny Because I buy my selles sur cher at l amuse !! The world is little!
So once again 32,5€ for 3 course. Thé chief is very good for spicy course so if you Like asiatic influence dont hesitate to take spicy course. Staff friendly And pro Because thé waitress remember that my girlfriend Like chardonnay.
Last précision : When our starters arrived à Man. Start to smoke à cigar in terrace And thé cloud of smoke came into our faces so to appreciate thé food;(( we talk to thé wife boss she said to us One minute Please, we were ready to côme Inside for another table And we saw thé boss thé chief going out of his kitchen And ask friendly with politess to thé l'an to go to smoke his cigar in front of thé restaurant We were OFF course agreadably surprisd And thats means thé philosophy of thé boss And his wife to let clients appreciate this quality of food. Besides I would never understand that someone CAN smoke à cigar at thé begining of his dinner Its better with à good armagnac at thé end!
Maybe The next Time I Will see thé first mistake in southern cross but of course I hope no And I dont think so.
Conclusion : go there for à gréât buccal expérience;))

1 Thank Caramel78600