“Nice atmosphere, nice food, nice service.”
Review of Purefoy Arms

Purefoy Arms
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Traditional Country pub serving real ales and fine wines. Home cooked Food. Families and dogs welcome.
Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

We visited on a Saturday evening and although it was busy the staff were attentive and we were able to sit by a nice log burner and wait. We enjoyed the food - the leek, potato haddock and egg starter was a real winner, as was the cheese soufflé. They were willing to 'wiggle' the menu a little to accommodate tastes which is nice. There is a Catalan hint to some dishes and on the whole it is an interesting menu of elevated and altered pub type fayre. A nice experience.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

I went with my wife to celebrate the Valentines day at this pub/restaurant and I will say it right now: I will not go there ever again. Not Recommended. The menu was hand-written and the words were difficult to make out. I had to guess what they meant. Not impressed at all. The food was completely tasteless. I must say I have never eaten anywhere where the food was that bad. The chef was too concerned with the presentation of the food rather then the taste. The soufflé, looked good, tasted ...mediocre. The truffle risotto was soaked in fat, covered in cheddar shavings and had tiny shavings of truffle. This was my wife's fate. I, on the other hand, chose the 'rare' pork pate and black pudding accompanied by some chutney. It sounded impressive and at after the first bite I realized that the combination was making me sick. I waited bravely for the cod. It looked good, again, but the flavors the chef was trying to mix were worlds apart. The bacon sauce accompanying the cod, was salty, the cod was tasteless and dry. The only good thing about the dinner was the wine and the decor. I don't know if this was a 'special' Valentines day menu, or the regular menu but I know that me and my wife did not sleep well at all because of the upset stomachs. The service was slow and no one bothered to ask if we liked the food or not. Perhaps the staff knew and were too embarrassed.

2  Thank Olsi V
mrpusskins, Owner at Purefoy Arms, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2013

Firstly I thank you for sharing your experience with us at The Purefoy Arms on Valentines evening

I will address each point in turn:

“the menus are hand written & difficult to make out, I had to guess what they meant”
the majority of our customer base are generally from the U.K and so we find English works extremely well. The joined up writing, I agree, can be a little tricky.
Our menu is changed daily, sometimes twice as we endeavour to promote fresh & seasonal produce to our customers. Would you prefer the laminated, typed menu seen in most chains?

“Fourme D'ambert souffle with toasted hazelnuts” - mediocre?
One of France's oldest cheeses from the Auvergne, a creamy rich blue cheese particularly suited for soufflés.. We have served this dish for the last two weeks (possible fifty or so) not one complaint..

“The truffle risotto was soaked in fat”
The “fat” was actually truffle oil & the cheddar shavings were in fact aged Parmesan (have you tried to shave Cheddar?)

“The rare breed pork terrine with black pudding, the combination made me feel sick”
The Purefoy Arms are not the first to serve this classic combination..
Pork with black pudding sauce – Heston Blumenthal
Denbighshire Pork with black pudding & Calvados jus - Alain Ducasse
Pork & black pudding sausage – Baker Boys
Pork & black pudding hotpot – Even Delia Smith is at it!!!
Go to the Ivy in London or The Wolsey & guess what they have got on their menu.. Pork & black pudding!!!

“Bacon sauce was salty, and the cod was tasteless and dry”
The cod had been poached beautifully in fish stock & was complemented by puy lentils,bacon.& salsa verdi. Again another classic combination, sadly not appreciated by your taste

I'm sorry you thought the service was slow. I stupidly assumed guests would enjoy the evening relaxed & not rushed on Valentines Day.
With your sophisticated palate & in-depth knowledge of food you may consider contacting the Sunday Times, I believe A.A. Gill may have just met his match.
One thing baffles me....Its clear everything was wrong, the food, the service, the menu etc. Why did you fail to mention any of this on the night when it could have been rectified.. Just a thought..

The only positive thing you wrote on your review was your promise of not returning.

Next time you decide to slate someone’s business on Trip Advisor I suggest you eat out somewhere other than The Chef & Brewer in Basingstoke.

Kindest regards
The Purefoy Arms.

Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

Winter Wednesday lunch. How many pubs would have octopus,scallops,hake and cockles in shells on the menu? Enlightening food but why did so many of my fellow guests go for the boring safe options?
I wish this place well; it deserves success. So much better than other 'pubs that are really restaurants'

Reviewed January 8, 2013

Met friends here as a half-way between us venue and we were so glad we did. The food was lovely, the fire welcoming, staff friendly and service good. We would definitely return and not just for ease of distance, but to enjoy all this lovely place has to offer.

2  Thank Discerning_Diner_10
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We have been to this pub three times now and each time the food has been excellent. The Spanish Tapas is good quality. Certainly as good as any Tapas I have had in any Spanish restaurant. The staff are very friendly and keen to assist. A must and I can't wait to return