“Great Breakfast Buffet, Nice Room, Wonderful Off-Season”

Hotel Gio' Wine e Jazz Area
Ranked #10 of 65 Hotels in Perugia
Reviewed August 6, 2011

My wife and I stayed here off-season, and enjoyed a sumptuous buffet breakfast (by European standards), and a nice room with small dining area and jetted bathtub. It is located about 1 mile up the hill from the train station, a healthy walk, but convenient to the bus lines, groceries and a nice neighboring cafe. The off-season rates were key to the great value we found. During or near the Jazz Festival in July, this hotel is buzzing and the rates are very high. However, it is close to Assisi, and located in the lower town. Makes for a nice 2-3 day sojourn.

Room Tip: Visit during late fall or early spring.
  • Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 23, 2011

- Very Noisy place, near high trafficked Roads.
- No good service : nobody tells you until when breakfast is served, don't be surprised if this is closed when you arrive.
- Beware what you're sold (swimming pool, wine service...) is not available all year. Hence High probability it will not be when you're here.
Bottom line : big fail if you have planned a romantic week end

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Soapy92
Reviewed October 7, 2010

We stayed in the Gio for one night, and it was a bit longer than necessary.

I got a great rate because of a special that they had, so considering that, we had a fantastic value. If we had had to pay more, I would be quite upset.

In the first place, the hotel is NOT well marked, and finding it was not easy. Second, the staff is either very good or very bad depending on who is on duty when you go to the desk. I should mention we were in the Jazz area, but I had to deal with staff in both Wine and Jazz sections.

The lobbies of both sections are beautiful. I wish the rooms were 1/2 as nice. Others say the rooms are great. Of all the hotels we stayed in in Italy, the Gio had probably the worst rooms of all. We had a problem with the lights and had to change in the middle of the night, and the second room was worse than the first. The beds were worn (as were the sheets), and they were not comfortable. Ugh.

There are no shoppes or restaurants close to the hotel (except for their own), so if you want choice, you have to go out. We walked to the historic center, a 25-minute uphill walk. The good news is that it's downhill coming back.

I'm going to say I'd recommend it, but with the caveat that you'd have to consider location and the worn-out rooms with the price you pay.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Moonette
Reviewed September 30, 2010

The hotel is convenient for those staying in Perugia for a short break. Only a 5 minute taxi ride from the railway station, or a 15 minute (uphill) walk, though the pavements are in a poor state.
There are actually two separate hotels for wine and jazz, each with their own reception, the jazz reception is opposite the main road whereas the wine reception is round the back of the hotel, by the car park. the two hotels are linked by an underground passageway.
There is a regular bus service (routes TS/TG) to/from the hotel to Piazza Italia in the old town, which is ideal if you plan to have a visit or dine there, with tickets available from the hotel reception.
The breakfasts were of a very high standard with a large selection of fresh fruit, yoghurts, cereals, croisants, meats, cheese etc, in fact everything you could want for.
Room was ok, but the double bed was 2 singles pushed together, but this is quite common in italy so I wouldn't really fault the hotel on this.
There is a delicious ice-cream parlour on the main road by the hotel, opposit the bus stop, where you can indulge yourself. Much cheaper than the restaurant ice creams, plus they have a very large selection. You can dine out in the old town, get a bus back to the hotel for 1 euro, and then call and have an ice cream before reaching the hotel.
There is also a small open air pool on the roof of the 'jazz' side, but it's unheated, so was a little too cold for us in September.
One evening after dinner we went to the 'jazz' area for a drink, but strangely enough, they were playing pop music and not jazz, which seemed a bit strange.
Would definately stay there again if we visited Perugia again.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Richard_BEE
Reviewed August 23, 2010

It`s all ups and downs about this place.
first impression, not very good. Reception of jazz area airy and day lit , joyful,but when i got in with a heavy case the receptionist did not even try to look at me. I said buongiorno and it didn`t change.No other customers around. I said I had a reservationand after a silent check she handed me the keys. Not even a word. Im Italian so not a matter of language barrier.Not very professional I think.
second impression. Good. the room was cheerful and spacious, with a fantastic massage chair. I spent hours on it watching tv. UNFORGETTABLE. Cd player on the wall to play a selection from the reception.
Not luxury but particular. I really liked it.
Morning after. The place is out of town, definitely. Once I took a taxi. 10 euros.
next time I walked. Very long, 25 minutes, down the hill. Obviously up the hill when you come back to the hotel.
Dinner time. Once you come back no way to go anywhere else as it`s far and no restaurants around.
I was late and thanks to wrong and absent directions by the receptionist AGAIN to reach the dining area (quite complicated because of lifts leaving you in different areas, it took me 15 minutes to reach it)I missed the last order and was asked not to stay. Angry and hungry to say the least.
Went to the room quite disappointed ready to leave the next day.Phone rings, the receptionist of the Wine area (which i reached by mistake asking for directions: the 2 areas are interlinked inside) kindly had told the kitchen to prepare something for me for room service when she saw me go back sadly to my room. I had a delicious, gorgeous steak and wine. Happy again.
next day I wanted to extend but all rooms af Jazz area were taken. As I was about to leave heading to town, the manager granted a room in the Wine area, upgrading for free to a suite.
It looked very big but very old. See other reviews which describe it.
The sheet had also a tiny hole, looked overused though clean.
It had a small "kitchenlike"tv of old crt type. So different from the Jazz area. However, the staff of this area looked more attentive.
I think in the mind of the designer this is supposed to be an ¬old style¬ area, contrasting with the Wine area modern and cheerful.
second evening dinner: FANTASTIC!!! Classy typical Umbrian menu, excellent wine. Really enjoyable.
All in all I would get back anyway as i took the time to visit other hotels in town and though more convenient they were really old, tired, not really inviting, overpriced.
You see coherence is not the main feature of this place, but somehow it gets your emotions.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank fussycat_in_the_silk
Reviewed June 3, 2010

We were staying at this hotel for 6 nights,as we were traveling in umbria area.
The location was great also very approchble to Perugia city center.Free parking which is very importent.
The stuff was great , very welcoming, worm,kind and very helpfull in all aspects.
The hotel itself was very worm decorated, nice and modern.
The breakfast was good ,yet i was expecting from good Italian hotel to have fine coffee machine with good coffee , instead there were only coffee machines with mainly american coffee which was bad...if you want to have a capuccino you need to ask.
Beside tht the roonmwas spacious, clean and very quet.
In all this was a very good hotel and if i wll be in area again i would come back for sure.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 1, 2010

We stopped in at the hotel overnight. Even though we checked into the wine side, I really liked the jazz side. My favorite part of the decor was sitting in the lobby and trying on the different headphones to hear the music. Our room was a decent size with a good size bathroom. We were a little disappointed to arrive on a Monday and find out that so many things were closed and that the restaurant was only open from 7:30 to 9:45 (if I remember correctly.) However, then we walked around the hotel to the store/gym/restaurant complex next door and bought ourselves a fantastic dinner straight from the market. The hotel had a great them but there wasn't very much sight seeing within walking distance. Cabs were not too expensive so it worked out okay. Breakfast was standard.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple