1,338 results
All reviewsetruscan ruinsglass bottomqueen motherupgraded to a suitegrand hotelunderground swimmingold townold world charmthe general managerelegant hotelumbrian valleystar hotelbuffet breakfastold styleking bedswimming poolperfect location
Reviewed October 9, 2010

Like most people, I would normally spend sometime to search for the ideal hotel to stay before we plan for our Italian holidays. My 3 main criterion are always the same - central location, quiet for a good night's sleep and Italian charm. This hotel ticked all the 3 boxes, and more!

And when I learnt that the Brufani Palace is the only 5 star hotel in Perugia, I took to it immediately, wasting no time in booking a stay here for our first two nights of a 9 night first Umrbian trip. Being a true 5 star hotel, we thought its prices were very reasonable, too.

But even experienced travellers like myself made mistakes - choosing to arrive in Italy on a Sunday where buses and train schedules are at lower frequencies than usual. After arriving in Foligno by train from Rome, the next connecting train was about 2 hours away, jet lagged, we took a taxi at the station and negotiated for a fixed 65 euros rate to Perugia.

Not being able to find the Brufani upon arrival in Perugia, we were let off near the Scala Mobili (escalators) near the San Gallo Hotel. After some interesting view of the excavation works near the escalators, we arrived directly opposite the Brufani, some 10 minutes later. Carmela, the ever helpful Receptionist, upon knowing that we had booked the stay under its website's Romantic Package, upgraded us from the Junior suite to a full fledged suite, it was the lovely room 235.

The suite was spacious enough, with separate sitting area from the sleeping area (however, no doors in between them). A walk-in closet was available just before entering the marbled bathroom with a shower cubicle and a jacuzzi tub. Everything was decorated in yellow and red, my favourite colours, and walls were covered in silk cloth. Chandeliers and bella wall lamps abound. A small standing room only balcony then offers the best view of Umbria - a sweeping 180 degree unblocked view of 4 small mountains and 3 valleys, it was sublime!

A bottle of premium Possecco and some nuts and chips were waiting for us in the suite, part of the Package, nice! There was also a fax machine, ipod station, 2 Philips flat screen TV, 3 English TV channels and most importantly, soft and comfy beds, not hard at all! Do request for harder pillows, though. Turn down service with chocolates and the weather forecast for the next day - what more could you ask?

An included 3 course dinner (choose whatever you like from the menu, it can be antipasto, seconda main and dessert or antipasto, pasta and seconda main). We chose the second option and much regretted our choice because the portions were too large and we didn't have any more space for desserts! Food was pretty good, however, overly saltish, just tell them before hand to 'lower the salt content'!

The location of the Hotel is really superb, you are literally 3-5 minutes from the Palazzo dei Priori (where there are 4 lovely museums), the Duomo , lots of restaurants and tons of shopping! Common areas are also in line with the Classical Italian decor, which is my favourite, I mean why stay in a modern hotel while in Italy, waking up and asking oneself - am I in Hong Kong or in Taiwan? Lastly, do not miss its lovely and yet cosy Swimming Pool, you will be in for a surprise view of some Estrucan ruins while you swim, open from 7am onwards - great idea for jet lagged early risers!

Small glitches of this lovely Hotel are - there are charges for Wifi and its breakfast, frankly speaking, is not up to a 5 star Hotel's standard. But we are no breakfast people, so no big deal. There were also some traffic noises during the day for suite 235, being next to a road, but sound proofing was good and we slept very well indeed.

Go ahead and book it, Carmela and Nicole will take good care of you. Lastly, do your maths and you would soon realised that their Romantic Package is of superb value for your money ....

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Mitata, General Manager at Sina Brufani, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2011

Dear Guest,

I appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Hotel Brufani Palace. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your comments with our team, who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks.

The General Manager and the Staff

Reviewed October 9, 2010

Lovely experience at the Brufani Palace, an elegant, old-world hotel. It is perfectly situated in this beautiful Umbrian hilltown, Perugia.
There are good roomrates online but ours did not include the luscious overpriced buffet breakfast so we ate elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

thank you for having chosen our hotel for your stay in Perugia and for your kind comments.

I am very happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and I will share your comments with my team.

Thanking you again for the kind preference given to our hotel, we look forward to serving you in the future and remain with our,

Kindest regards

The General Manager and the Staff

Reviewed October 5, 2010

Go to this remarkable hotel in Perugia. Go immediately if you can. It is the perfect combination of elegance and service. My wife, who is our company's CEO and is always suggesting management improvements when we are at a hotel or retauraunt, said the following-"there is not one change I would make at this hotel". The staff is outstanding-gracious and helpful but not intrusive. The rooms are superior and the swimming pool deep down in an Etruscan cave is unique. So go, already. What are you waiting for. And if you do, walk 3 minutes to the best Italian restaurant possible-La Taverna. The chef is a genius. I cook a lot of Italian meals. When I go to a new restaurant I measure it the following way. When a dish comes I say either "I can do that." Or, "how did he do that". From the stinco to the pasta it was the latter. Peter Cove Founder America Works

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2010

We stayed at the Brufani palace while traveling in Italy - in part as a "break" from Villa's we had been staying in. This is indeed a special place (and so much better than villa's.....) When we arrived the rooms we were given were uncomfortably hot and the hotel was completely booked so they could not simply switch our rooms (we have small children and so we needed connecting rooms). To accommodate us, they provided us with their best suite at the rate of our room. Not just another room - the best room. Exceptional service indeed! In addition, the hotel has an amazing location and a fabulous pool. The pool looks into the ruins underneath. Definitely THE place to stay in Perugia.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 29, 2010

It's a nice and beautiful hotel, although its really old-fashioned. The rooms are not very big, but the bathrooms are modern and big. The location is very good, the staff is friendly, but you don't have the feeling to be in a 5 star hotel.
The best thing is the view you have out of you room.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple