1,338 results
All reviewsetruscan ruinsglass bottomqueen motherupgraded to a suitegrand hotelunderground swimmingold townold world charmthe general managerelegant hotelumbrian valleystar hotelbuffet breakfastold styleking bedswimming poolperfect location
Reviewed May 14, 2012

The hotel is old-fashioned and grand; our room was opulent and comfortable. But the reception desk was at times brusque, and regularly unhelpful and incompetent, even when well staffed, which they often were. For example: A friend dropped by and left a message both in an envelope and as a telephone message, Both were lost - the receptionist promptly claimed it was the guest's fault: he did it all wrong!. While my wife and I were discussing this at their (excellent) breakfast, the couple at the next table were fuming over their missed wake-up call earlier that morning. Other examples available, not worth detailing.
By all mens stay there when in Prugia, but do not depend on Brufani staff to look after you flawlessly.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HungarianTraveler
Reviewed May 11, 2012

Staying in this hotel definitely makes you feel back in time. The location is the prime location of the Old City of Perugia. The double I shared with my daughter was very spacious and we lucked out having a French window (that opened wide) offering a view over the rolling hills of the Umbria region. The beds are more comfortable than most European accomodations, the bathroom is outfitted in marble and has a bidet, shower/tub (that has whirlpool jets) and toiletries, and there is a flat screen tv, mini fridge (although all its contents cost a fortune), and safe in the generous closet.
The fitness area is very small and limited to a few free weights and an elliptical. The pool area is very lovely and unique, as the pool's floor shows off Estruscan ruins that were found when the site was excavated to build the hotel.
The one thing that made me very unhappy was the way in which our meal credit was explained. Upon arrival we were told that our package gave us about 30 Euros in restaurant credit. We were not told this did NOT include breakfast (which is buffet style). I ate breakfast the 2 days I stayed in this hotel and assumed the credit would be applied at checkout. There was a 32 Euro charge (16 Euros a person is way over priced for what is offered at this continental breakfast). I was quite annoyed when I was told the 30 Euro credit was not applicable. No where in the letter explaining the credit (given to me at check in) does it say that breakfast is excluded. Also, our air conditioning did not stay on, so we had to open the window.
Another inconvenience is that there is no free WiFi in the hotel, and the one computer guests can use allows only the first 20 minutes for free. The tip is to go outside towards the main Piazza and access the free WiFi there.

Room Tip: If traveling during the warmer months, ask if the hotel's air conditioning will be turned on.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 9, 2012

This hotel is at the edge of the main historical center and very easy to access by car. We had a very good sized room with a French balcony overlooking the valley - beautiful view and lots of fresh air. The air conditioning was turned on! Staff is very professional and helpful. The breakfast buffet was very good. We chose to park our car with the hotel which might have been expensive, but saved a some headaches of looking for a spot. The bellmen were very good. Front desk service depended on the person. Two sinks in the bathroom was a pleasant surprise. All-in-all an excellent choice.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 4, 2012

Today is May 4. I have been staying in this hotel the past 4 days and I will depart tomorrow. The hotel is beautiful, the staff is incredible, the beds are very comfortable, and the location is the best. The problem is turning on the hotel air conditioning. We are between seasons and the management will not turn on the AC. My room has been very hot (above 80 degrees every night). I've left the windows open but there is very little draft to cool the room down. There are no fans available to the guests and the front desks says there is not plan to turn on the air conditioning right now. So I post this to give any reader a heads up. Call the hotel before you make you reservation. If the AC has been turned on, do not hesitate with your resevation. However if the AC has NOT been turned on, I would think twice before making a reservation, the rooms are hot and it is very difficult to cool the rooms down. The wether outside is great, sunny and a high of 70.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank CTCurt
Reviewed April 27, 2012

This hotel dates from the 1920s - the public parts of the hotel are really lovely with all of the beautiful detail...staircases, timber work, fireplaces. The staff were mostly...we only found a couple who were not terribly helpful. Our room was downstairs and quiet, but we felt a bit out of it and would have preferred a room upstairs. We were upgraded to a suite, a vast room for two people, we felt like goldfish in the ocean. The lounge room furniture was a bit formal and decorative, not lounging furniture, so we used the bedroom....watched tv in bed. The views were great, fabulous from the terrace just outside the hotel. The pool and gyn are worth trying, a grotto with clean pool, steam rooms and small gym. We had breakfast at the hotel, we felt it was worth the money and we couldn't find anywhere in the old town who did breakfast and we got over pastry and sandwiches very quickly, so if you enjoy your cereal, fruit, toast or eggs, eat at the hotel. Great location, it was nice wandering around the old town, found a great expresso bar in the street behind the hotel and a pub....many if the buildings have vaulted ceilings. We'd recommend this hotel to friends and family...the hotel bar is nice as well after a hard day of walking and eating.

Room Tip: I think a room upstairs, but if you want a private and very quiet area, consider a suite, located downstairs.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple