“Inexpensive and unremarkable”

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
New York City, New York
“Inexpensive and unremarkable”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Italian Friends took us to this place and we had high expectations. They did not materialize.
The antipasti had too much bread (in various combinations, but bread nevertheless) and almost no Umbrian salumi or other cold cuts for which the area is famous.

For main course we had roasted piccino (pigeon), which came rather dry, baked skamorza (a local smoked cheese), so rich that the person who ordered it only ate a small portion and "donated" the rest, and still we could not finish it, between the four of us. The artichokes, dipped in barter and fried were dry and rich. Other entries we tasted were veal paillard (veal lightly grilled and rather tasteless) and some other veal with a hot tomatoes sauce. All sides were additional and portions were small.

We drank a local Montefalco (red) and followed it with a taste of grapa (a "digestivo"). Service was rather distracted and it took forever to get the check. It was not expensive but I think the food was rather ordinary. The olive oil came in water bottle and not very good, which is a shame, given that Umbria is one of the top three best oil producing regions in Italy. The ambiance was pleasant and the owner seems to have a taste for single malts, because an impressive collection of those was displayed in the area of the bar. There were no tourists at all, only locals, the place was completely full and everybody seemed to be having great time. As for me, I just have to continue my search for a restaurant I really like in Perugia.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Oliver S

London, United Kingdom
“The locals' canteen”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

How refreshing Da Cesarino is! A restaurant on the pedestrianized main square which, in almost any other city, would have become a tourist trap but here in Perugia remains one of the focal points of local life. As we tipped out of the cathedral and into the restaurant after Sunday mass, we were just ahead of the throng - nuclear families of four, big family parties, divorced father with children, lots of large tables of young couples and infants, elderly couples. And everyone knew each other! A real provincial Italian Sunday lunch-time scene.

Now, where was I? Yes, the restaurant: wonderful location (must be gorgeous with outside tables in the summer), pretty main room (the back one looked a bit gloomy), nice table linen, very typical middle-aged male waiters ( a bit gruff, but heart of gold, you know the type), Umbrian menu, solid food, not haute cuisine, decent prices. I would advise booking.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Stephen028
“A Very Pleasant Lunch Experience”
Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

We were recommended Cesarino by one of the local shop owners for lunch on a wet and windy Saturday afternoon. As it is winter the patrons were mainly locals and we certainly enjoyed the friendly hospitality and good service. Both meals were very good and the house red complimented adequately. We would happily return.

Melbourne
“Excellent”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I ate here twice, enjoying wonderful tasty food and excellent (and friendly) service. A lot of good choices on the menu. They have some tables outside in the piazza as well.

• Visited September 2012
London
“Wonderful view, some wonderful food.”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Our first day in Perugia after checking in to our hotel and following a long, sweaty struggle uphill to the historic centre, we just wanted to sit and eat. The problem was, we had no recommendations to go by. My wife spotted a place on the Piazza Dante, overlooking the Fontana Maggiore that looked promising, so we popped over.

Da Cesarina proved to be a hit, serving some delicious Umbrian specialities. We began with the mixed plate of Umbrian salumi. This was something of a revelation, showing quality that we had never expected. I think it was just about the best mixed plate we had. The variation in style and taste was outstanding, with nothing disappointing. My wife moved on to a plate of fresh tagliatelle, with a chicken liver and tomato sauce, which was delicious. My local pasta, (can't remember the name), with black truffle was a disappointment. I don't know what I expected for €14 but you don't get slices of truffle for that amount. The sauce was the kind that you get from a jar, that has some truffle content – not great. For dessert, my wife had the fresh fruit and I had Zuppa Ingelese, which wasn't bad, with strongly flavoured, red and yellow, raspberry and custard, layers. We also had a bottle of very good Collepiano, Sagrantino di Montefalco, from Arnaldo-Caprai.

The view from the outside tables was simply beautiful and were it not for the poor pasta with truffle and the dodgy dessert, then Da Cesarina would have got a higher score. Nevertheless, I can still recommend the place.

• Visited September 2012