“Not great”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed February 9, 2013

This is a small and typically pretty restaurant. I ordered the spinach and ricotta gnocchi (also composed of farina, egg, and Parmesan), a specialty. It is briefly boiled, then baked and served in tomato sauce. It was very tender and delicious, but I grew tired of eating it before I finished, and I am a gnocchi fanatic. I then had a goulash of wild boar and deer with polenta. For me, the dish was peppery to the point where I could not distinguish the deer from the boar. The polenta was in rectangular logs and the texture was not what I had expected when I ordered polenta. So, I can't say that my visit was successful. And I heard the same odd soundtrack a prior reviewer mentioned. The service was friendly.

1  Thank busyflying

Reviewed September 29, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our meal at Il Falchetto. It is located right behind the duomo, and it looks rather like a 'cute local restaurant' from the outside, but we found the that the restuarant was more sophistocated when you got inside, and the food and service exceeded our expectations. We had eaten a lot for lunch, so we only ordered entrees, water and wine. The portions turned out to be huge, so I'm glad I didn't order a 'primi' or antipasto, too. I had a baked fish and potato dish, done in a lovely wine sauce with a touch of tomato. My husband had a Chianina beef dish served with grilled vegetables, I believe. We didn't need to order a 'contorni' or side dish, because the entrees came with some side vegetables. We both loved our meals and found the service to be excellent, even though the restaurant was busy. When we were there, the restaurant was filled with Italians and a tour group came in and was taken to a private room. They specialize in local dishes and locally sourced ingredients. The decor is very 'upscale casual' -- with lovely colorful table linens and flowers. Certainly nice enough for a special, romantic dinner. It was one of our more memorable meals in Umbria.

Reviewed June 17, 2012

This was our first evening dining experience in Perugia and it turned out to be quite exceptional. We were surprised that the restaurant was not a bit busier.
The food was of particularly high quality and served by friendly, efficient staff. We enjoyed it so much we went back for seconds.

Reviewed June 3, 2012

We were so impressed that we went twice on a short visit to perugia. Sad that the restaurant was not full, but that did not impair the experience. The quality and presentation was excellent, and the service efficient and welcoming. What a great location, just a 30 second walk from the cathedral. But the real star is the food, high quality, well presented and very good value. Not expensive at all!

Reviewed May 11, 2012

Went there as Fodor's had high praise for the restaurant. And there is a theme now emerging with all Fodor's recommendations. All their Hill top village/town restaurant ratings are a miss. Every where else like Rome(Nino), Florence (Mario) were top notch hits for $ to $$.

Anyway back to the topic. We walked in to an empty restaurant and there was no real reception. Pointed us to a table. The owner himself walked by us a couple of times, with just a blank stare every time he looked at us. You'd think he was just another unhappy customer by the look of him. Anyways, the real downer was the food. My wife ordered the roasted pork calf in some dark sauce, and it was dry and flavorless. I ordered the steak with mushroom and truffle sauce, and it was decent. The saving grace was the roasted potatoes we ordered as a side dish.

However the Tiramisu was not bad.

2  Thank VenkT