“IN ONE WORD, BAD”

Ranked #27 of 843 Restaurants in Perugia
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I wish people would stop equating "cheap" with "good". We went to this "restaurant" as part of a group and were so severely disappointed, we left after the first half hour, even though we had already paid.

From the first moment on, when we entered the dimly lit dungeon, through tasting an undrinkable red wine and watery white one, then the first course, the pasta, it was unbearable: the noise, the lack of light, the lack of proper bar or any selection, the tolerance for rude and loud behavior on the part of the students there...

And it's not that cheap, when you think of it: we were asked to pay 13 Euros for diner, with water and wine additional. But when we left, we walked for about 5 minutes to Ristorante da Peppone, where no dish was over 8 Euros, the service was excellent, the Prosecco was 15 Euros and the place had crisp white linen and pleasant decor. Not to mention the complimentary glass of sweet desert wine before we left.

Take my advice and don't go.

2  Thank Oliver S

Reviewed April 16, 2013

This is a classic in Perugia. It's not the best food, but it is the best food for the money, for the variety, and for the experience. Order the cheap wine, and enjoy yourself. Everyone is having a good time here, and the food comes when it comes and you eat as much as you want. We loved this place during our 6 month stay in Perugia.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is more or less my perfect restaurant. I like a simple menu; here, there is no menu, just three courses of very well cooked simple Italian food. Ate here two consecutive days (and luckily one was a Thursday, so I got to try the gnocchi, which was perfect), and couldn't have been happier. As other folks have said, it definitely isn't gourmet (honestly, I almost always prefer a family style home-cooked plate of food) and not a fancy spot if you're into that kind of thing, but the waitstaff is friendly and attentive, the space is an attractive Early Modern building (it's outside the city walls, so I'd guess it's 15th Century, but I'm not an expert), and the environment is very relaxed and comfortable. A really perfect place to have a slow late lunch after a long morning of walking around and before a long afternoon sitting in the sun and reading.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

We were told we needed to eat here--a Perugia institution; we ate here Thursday lunch and my son (23) loved it so much we went back for Friday lunch as well (Nota bene: if you eat here for lunch you will not need dinner!); there was only one person for waitstaff both days and as the restaurant was not packed it was fine--I can imagine that if every table were full it might be tough on the staff and the customers; I found the staff friendly and good (albeit busy!);

There is always "macaroni" (fresh tagliateli) as a course; on Thursday there was also gnocchi (very good as well) and Friday there was a chick pea soup (also good); the main courses were mixed grill (Thursday) and fried chicken (Friday); the sweet is only ok; it's a lot of food and a good value; it is not 'fine dining' --more like a family meal; I read a review that said the wine gave the writer a headache--it did not give me a headache although red wine often does;

So if you have a day when you are sightseeing all morning and plan to do more in the afternoon a couple of hours of sitting in the pleasant atmosphere not making decisions and having someone serve you good (not gourmet) home made food is not half bad--and you don't have to worry about dinner!

Reviewed November 12, 2012

The food is good without being memorable. But one has to consider what you get for the price you pay. And for 13 Euros (at the time of this review), this is a very good deal. You would be very hard pressed to find an equivalent meal at this price which includes bread, antipasto, first course, second course and dessert. Wine is cheap too. The menu is set and your only choice is whether you want your primi (pasta) with or without parmigiano cheese sprinkled over it. Whatever they serve is probably good any day. Except for Mondays, when they are closed.