“Simply the Best!”

Ranked #11 of 860 Restaurants in Perugia
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: La Taverna will be closed for maintenance works from Monday, January 29th through Monday, February 5th. We will re-open Tuesday, February 6th at 12,30
Reviewed January 18, 2014

La Taverna is absolutely the best restaurant that we have experienced in our many visits to Italy. Master Chef/Owner Claudio attends to every detail, including trips to the green grocer every morning to carefully select produce. Virtually every dish we have ever tried from lentil soup (a house specialty we highly recommend) to salmon excels in taste, preparation, and presentation. The guests we've introduced to La Taverna agree. The decor of the indoor dining room is beautiful and tasteful, modern yet reflecting the ancient atmosphere of the city. The staff is welcoming, accommodating, and attentive. We attend a music festival nearly every year in Perugia, and every trip there includes several visits to La Taverna. Don't miss it.

2  Thank Joan L
Write a ReviewReviews (4,715)

Reviewed January 12, 2014

This restaurant has two big things going for it right off the bat--it is open on Sunday evenings and it is open in the winter--not a lot of choices right now. Beyond that, it is a beautiful space with good service and good food. I didn't think it was as fantastic as some of the other reviewers, but better than other places we have tried in perugia. Dinner for two with a shared antipasto (now that was fantastic--polenta crostini with ragu), prima piatti for both and a shared contorno, plus a liter of house white (a nice Grechetto) was 59 euros. They also provide complimentary prosecco at the start of the meal and a house made chocolate liquer at the end. They play pleasant jazz as background music which we also enjoyed. Worth having to hike back up the steps to the piazza.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

I've been eating at La Taverna for at least six years on my annual visits to Perugia (La Taverna is one of the main reasons I make annual visits to Perugia). The food is superb--the succulent, falling off the bone pork shank, the "caramell" in gorgonzola sauce, and I could go on and on. I've eaten all over Italy and don't think I've ever had a better meal. I also note that Taverna has some unusual choices too (among the best tempura I've had anywhere, for example).
But the quality of the food is surpassed by the warmth of the welcome from Claudio and his team. We're greeted with warm hugs and made to feel as if we were eating at someone's home (someone with a really really good cook that is).
This year's visit was with family members, including two teenagers on their first Italian trip. What a great way to begin a lifetime of Italian hospitality and eating!

Reviewed January 3, 2014

Ten days traveling through Italy with my family and our dinner at La Taverna was the best, hands-down. Incredibly warm environment, welcoming staff and, of course, phenomenal food. The staff is happy to provide service in Italian or English and quick to offer a wonderful recommendation for any taste.

I'd recommend the black or lamb medallions both complete with fresh truffle shaved right at your table.

Icing on the cake - you'll likely get a visit from head chef and owner Claudio sometime throughout the night. Do tell him we say hi!

Happy Travels!

Reviewed January 2, 2014

We had no reservation when entering for dinner, the reception was not the most welcoming, but we were offered a table, prosecco and some raw vegetables - however no bread - with olive oil appeared immediately, without having us ordered it. I am not complaining, though, starting an evening with something sparkling is never a bad idea.

The staff's attitude turned for the better, when we ordered a full meal: pasta and a main course and a bottle of Grechetto, white local wine.

The pasta dishes were excellent, the papardelle with Umbrian ragù were very fine, but the ravioli with black truffles and a little bit of parmesan were simply fantastic.

Maybe it was a bad idea to order fish in Umbria and on a Monday, but both main courses, the mixed fish plate and the gamberini in tempura did not taste well, we had the feeling that all the fish was frozen and not seasoned. We did complain, the chef appeared, and told us that he felt sorry for us if we could not appreciate fresh fish. However, when the bill came, we did not have to pay one of the main courses. A real apology??

All in all, the very mixed picture makes it really tough to rate this restaurant.I decided to give it the benefit of the doubt and go for "very good", as the setting is indeed very pleasant.