“Amazing - Beyond Words - Food is Perfection”
Review of La Taverna

La Taverna
Ranked #4 of 824 Restaurants in Perugia
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Romantic, Kids, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
“Amazing - Beyond Words - Food is Perfection”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Dined at La Taverna on holiday last night. Food is my passion. Cooking is my hobby. My grandfather was an Italian chef. This restaurant exudes passion - Chef Claudio nails every dish - service is cordial, attentive and they clearly love the place. A welcoming free glass of Proseco greets you as you review the menu of Umbrian Classics. Don't miss this gem in Umbria.

• Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
SLC
“Completely Italy”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Amazing ambience. Incredible staff. Sublime food.
These guys went above and beyond. We had no reservations, but decided to try to get a table anyway despite thinking we'd be out of luck. Claudio and his staff were more than accommodating. They put out a table just for us, while we waited a brief five minutes and they included a gratis glass of prosecco. Set the mood just right. Then, with a small, smartly dressed table, they proceeded to knock our socks off-not only with the INCREDIBLE food but also with the amazing service, hospitality and warmth that only a genuine experience like this can provide. If we were staying in Perugia more than one night, we'd be back tomorrow. I'll have to simply make due with dreams of black truffle ravioli until our next visit.......

Memphis, Tennessee
“Unexpected and wonderful meal”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

My wife and I found La Taverna while looking for a restaurant near the Hotel Brufani Palace. We were fortunate to get a table without a reservation and had a table for two in the courtyard. The service was friendly and efficient and the owner/chef Claudio Brugalossi spent time at every table talking food and Italy with the patrons. The prosciutto was extremely good and we had the risotto with shrimp as a main course. My wife was allowed in the kitchen and met the sous chef preparing our dish, which absolutely made her evening. We tried their chocolate liquor for dessert and it was fabulous. We emailed the chef that night and he gave us his recipe (shhh!). The meal was one of the best we've had so far in a trip through the foodie paradise that is Italy. I would return in a heartbeat.

1 Thank David V
“The Perfect Umbrian Experience”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I are self proclaimed foodies. If there was a degree in eating, we'd both have Ph.Ds. Therefore, when we travel, we study... we research and learn the lay of the land before heading anywhere. As a result of our analysis, we learned of La Taverna in Perugia. Off the main square on Via Streghe, you walk down a winding staircase which opens to an epicurean delight. We ate lunch on the patio during our first visit, only to return with my husband impatiently waiting for the doors to open the very next day. The La Taverna Antipasti was delicious, as was every soup, pasta and entree we ordered during our stay. In addition to the superb food, was the most hospital staff we've experienced in our travels. By the end of our stay, we lunched with the owner and head chef, Claudio. Brava! Looking forward to our return.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank Dana S
Perth, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Yum”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Wondering around the beautiful lane ways in Perugia, one day I came across this restaurant by accident. So we tried it for lunch the next day, and back there that night, back again the next night, and again 2 nights later.......I don't remember how many times we had been back there while we were in Perugia in those 2 weeks. We even took friends there 3 times. The owner said to us one night " Oh, you are back again, it is the highest compliment to our chef!". The only thing that I would recommend is to learn a bit of Italian before going there, sometimes their staff have problems with English, but the owner speaks perfect English! My favorite entry is Torte Al Testo Ripiene Assortite.

• Visited July 2013