“Amazing food at a friendly family-owned trattoria”

Antica Trattoria Delle Volte
Ranked #191 of 839 Restaurants in Perugia
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Tipical italian restaurant with particular focus about fresh fish recipe and umbrian specialties. Pizza si also avaible.
Seattle, Washington
“Amazing food at a friendly family-owned trattoria”
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Recently I stayed in Perugia for a over month. In that time I found this gem and returned many times to enjoy the food and the kindness of the Messina family.

I easily found dishes I enjoyed so much I had them several times. Including; La pizza Positano (with buffola mozzarella, fresh tomatoes, basi and olive oil). La pasta vongole (clams) but best of all was la tagliata. La tagliata is an incredible steak dish. Prepared medium rare and set on a bed of arugula and shaved parmaggiano drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, this dish was a staple for my entire month in Perugia.

Whether it be the fresh umbriacelli pasta or the home made limoncello there are plenty of both local and Sicilian dishes to be enjoyed off the menu.

One of my weekly highlights was coming on Thursday nights to listen to Carmello Messina sing. He performs for the guests with the same passion the family uses in making great food for everyone.

This place is loved by locals and tourists and can get busy at times. But everything is worth the wait.

• Visited July 2012
2 Thank icaruana

• Turkish first
“Friendly and delicious”
Reviewed July 3, 2012

We stumbled on this trattoria by chance our first night in town and were very happy with our meal and the service. They set up a table for us outside away from the other guests for a bit more romantic setting - very thoughtful of them. The server, Carmello, was very friendly and knowledgable about the food and wine and suggested great pairings. He spoke english very well and was happy to address all our questions (including where we should look for housing!). We had penne alla arrabiata, gnocchi and pork chops - all very good.

Essen, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
“hard to find but worth the money”
Reviewed June 3, 2012

the trattoria is a little away from the main stream of visitors, the food is excellent and the owners very friendly

• Visited May 2012
Oakland, California
“Good food, understaffed”
Reviewed April 12, 2012

We went there for lunch, arriving a little after it opened. This turned out to be a good choice, as reading the reviews, I see that the really negative experiences are when it is crowded. More later. The food was very good. We shared a veal carpaccio, which was good. My wife had a pasta with seafood (mussels, clams, ecc.) with a sauce that must have been flavored with shrimp broth, as it had a wonderful seafood flavor. I had a pasta "alla norcina" with sausage and truffles in a cream sauce, quite good. The problem is the staffing. There was basically one waitress and the maitre d' (probably the owner). They were working very hard, but the place filled up, and it was hard for them to keep up. So I'd rate the service high in that the server(s) were working very hard, but lower in that there weren't enough of them. But the food was very good, and we seemed to have timed it to avoid the service issues.

• Visited April 2012
“Very basic, over-priced for the quality”
Reviewed November 1, 2011

Three of us had lunch here. It was packed, but we waited 20 minutes for a table. Pity. Time might have been better spent looking elsewhere. The entrance is down a short flight of steps into an eating are divided in two. It is cramped, and the seats are metal fold up types, and were a little too low for comfort. The service was very slow. We sat down at 1.50 and my main course arrived at 3.00. One person had fried chicken and French fries, my wife had spaghetti with clams, I had the house antipasto followed by pasta in a truffle and mushroom sauce. We had house white. the chicken was tough and over salted. The clams were prounced adequate, but the antipasto was a shock. It consisted of slices every supermarket sells as a pre-packed antipasto. Tasteless apart from the salt. Very inferior grade salami. It was accompanied by one pice of bread with a yellow something or other on top. Might have been chickpeas. I waited so long for my pasta dish, that I have expected to be there for dinner. The pasta itself was thick and long, a little like pici but the consistency of the sauce and the few crumbs of black truffle, made me wonder if it wasn't also out of a jar rather than homemade. It was salty, with a background flavour of mushroom and truffle. The meal would have been acceptable if the prices reflected the quality but while they were not exceptionally high they were still above a price point that is reasonable for this standard.

1 Thank Adam_magari