“You had me at the bread basket... Loved lunch so much, we came back for dinner...”

Locanda del Cantiniere
Ranked #1 of 128 Restaurants in Gubbio
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed September 1, 2012

This is a lovely restaurant. We noticed it on Trip Advisor and visited it for lunch. We liked it so much my wife begged me to make dinner reservations, which I did. This is everything you would wish for in a small local trattoria: nice decor, everything made by hand, imaginative dishes, friendly service, caring people... (No, I'm not their mother... But, it really was that good.)

I mentioned the bread basket. Before we were served, they delivered a plate with roughly 5 different breads, all hand-made. There was a flatbread, a walnut biscuit, a cocoa roll (not sweet, just aromatic), poppy breadsticks and one more. All were beyond delicious. This is the first time, in a restaurant, I strongly considered asking for a doggy bag for the bread.

But on to the main courses. The menu is relatively limited. For lunch, we had the local pasta with truffles and porcini mushrooms. YUM! Washed down with some of the local Umbrian red wine (Double YUM). We tried to leave, but they served up two "on the house" homemade liqueurs, one a chocolate and one a cherry. Clearly, again, homemade.

So, back we came for dinner and we weren't disappointed. We started with the local appetizer plate. Multiple varieties of local hams, salami's, etc. Also, a baked local cheese. (Triple YUM). My wife had the steak, which was very good, not great (still, it was VERY good). I had pork medallions, served on top of a custard (yes, a custard). Outstanding! We were so stuffed, we couldn't eat the bread basket, this time.

But, that wasn't all. We tried to leave and they literally forced a dessert on us (It was delectable, so not much forcing was required.) and then served up three home made liqueurs (the ones from lunch plus a lemoncello). It was a really wonderful evening and, if we didn't have to leave Gubbio, I think we would have been looking for a way to have breakfast there.

I apologize for the length of this review, but that's my way of saying that this was a really great local restaurant run by very nice people who deserve to "make it". They made that day in Gubbio a very special one for us.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,074)

Reviewed August 4, 2012

Two of my family members decided to stop in this restaurant for lunch while the rest of us did some sightseeing. After an hour or so, the three of us who had been sightseeing went back to the restaurant to wait for the other two to finish their lunch. There were NO other customers in the restaurant so we sat down at the adjoining table to wait for the two family members to finish their lunch. After about 5 minutes, a male waiter (or owner, I have no idea) came into the room and started yelling at us about dirtying the table and using the silverware at the tables which was simply untrue (we were just sitting there, not touching anything). He rudely started clearing away all of the tablecloths, napkins and silverware - all of which were still in their place because we had not touched them - and yelling at us. When we explained that we hadn't touched anything, he kept yelling at us. Obviously, we left. My sister insists that the female waitress had been very polite and friendly and so it is unfortunate that her male colleague was so rude. He could have handled the situation so much more professionally. I'm sure there are plenty of great restaurants in Gubbio who treat their customer with much more respect. Based on my experience, I would not recommend Locanda del Cantiniere.

10  Thank Reneed586
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Located next to the Cable transport way: Gubbio Centre -> SanUbaldo church on hill
Excellent food
Large choice of menu and extensive wine list, many from the region.
Would be the perfect place if the staff would be a little bit more friendly
Take care of starters because of large volumes (I would recommend buying one starter by two people)

1  Thank Kris S
Reviewed July 24, 2012

In un locale afosissimo, un cibo sufficiente e un servizio medicre. Abbiamo provato di meglio.
In a sticky place, worth some air conditioning, very average food mediocre service. We had better experiences. This place is over rated.

3  Thank Rosy00_11
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Small resto, small menu with excellent choice of simple, perfectly sourced ingredients, cooked to perfection by a chef who loves his trade. Would and will go back. Excellent value for money.

1  Thank Kees A