“I feel I can never eat gnocchi anywhere but here, ever again.”
Review of Alla Balestra

Alla Balestra
Ranked #7 of 128 Restaurants in Gubbio
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed June 22, 2013

So, if you're a geologist you'll know the spectacular importance of the Gubbio area and will also no doubt have heard (with great sadness) of the closure of that awesome truffle pasta place by the K/T boundary.

Fear not. This place is just down the road from there and it knocks the socks off any other place in Gubbio.... possibly Umbria.

I had gnocchi filled with soft cheese with shaved truffle.

They were like little pillows of happiness in my mouth. They were so good that if I'd had time, I would have ordered another plate.

Also, in terms of service, I showed up with about 20 other people which the staff handled like pros. We were all seated, fed and watered very quickly.

Really, I cannot recommend this place enough.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

We ate here as it was handy for where we were at the time. Pleasant dining room overlooking a terrace that when the better weather kicks in will no doubt be a great place to eat, the house anti pasta was great and good value, the frittata with truffle was saved by the excellence of local italian eggs which cannot be faulted but the truffle had been shaved on top and added nothing to what was essentially a cross between scrambled egg and an omelette. Overall it was OK and reasonable value. Bit naughty that I didn't see a house wine by the quarto, mezzo etc on the list presented but the Italians eating were drinking it and we were only offered a more expensive half bottle. Main courses were fine

Reviewed October 20, 2012

Our flight having been diverted from landing at Perugia to Ancona (due to low cloud), we decided to stop en route at Gubbio for lunch to break up the long journey back to Umbria. Having never visited Gubbio before it was pot luck chosing a place to eat... this place was nearest to the parking we found and I will remember the meal forever... quite the best lasagna I've ever had, and the setting on the large balcony terrace behind the restaurant was a perfect welcome to Italy. The Chantilly and Caramel desert was also yummy, and the wine was excellent. Good value and I will make a point of returning next time I'm in Italy!

1  Thank fin-travels
Reviewed October 17, 2012

the best place in Gubbio... everybody that works there is great and very sweeet... food is amazing and they will do anything for you.. the general manager was very impressive because he make us feel very special... LOVE THEM!!!!

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Every year we pass our holidays in Gubbio, every year, during a week, we pass at least three time at alla balestra. I've never ate bad and never paud to much.