“For gourmets in Gubbio”

Ristorante di Porta Tessenaca
Reserve with
Ristorante di Porta Tessenaca is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 128 Restaurants in Gubbio
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Ristorante di Porta Tessenaca, in the heart of the ancient city of Gubbio, offers a setting perfectly in line with the external environment: typically medieval, with a variety of dishes for all tastes very well presented, where his majesty the truffle is the undisputed master.
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Having only one night in Gubbio my wife and I were keen to find some good food and I think we hit the jackpot! The dining room, is a beautifully restored high-vaulted cellar beneath what was once the town house of the son of Federico, Duke of Urbino whose Palazza is on the hill above. The food was just as splendid. After nibbling hand made straw like biscuits while we ordered we were presented an unexpected but delicious pre-starter. Wanting a light starter we had chosen the broad bean, spinach and olive oil dish which was wonderful. The textures and flavours matched perfectly. The blended 'just beans and olive oil' supported a small island of just-wilted spinach. A very memorable picture of a dish. Wanting to try the local cuisine my main dish was the wild boar stew in Sagrantino, a local wine, unique to the area. This was equally memorable, as was the glass of Sagrantino that accompanied it. My wife was equally impressed with her light and tasty sea bass fillet with tomato and black olives. Finishing off we shared a crepe stuffed with ice cream on a bed of fruit.

This is a family business. The service was attentive and our questions about the menu and the building were met with great enthusiasm. The bill at 79 Euro seemed entirely fair given the quality of the food and service. In the UK we sample good restaurants in London and elsewhere. This was one of the best meals we have ever eaten. I'd come back to Gubbio just explore their menu further!

Privilegio M, Direttore at Ristorante di Porta Tessenaca, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2013

Thanks so much for your wonderful review.

Greetings

Ignazio and the staff of Ristorante di Porta Tessenaca

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Although Gubbio is famous for its panoramic views over the Umbrian countryside, this restaurant in the vaulted and attractive cellars of an ancient building has no view but it does have excellent cuisine. We only tried the pasta dishes which contained some tantalising combinations - gorgonzola with shrimp, melon and something unexpected - but the restaurant is clearly a cut above normal local fare. It has a good wine selection and to my surprise some excellent local beers.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

We enjoyed a good fish menu - antipasti and secondo - friends tried the pasta as well ...
The atmosphere, service and overall experience was very nice. It is a little dated in the decor and a bit too formal for many...but all in all we enjoyed the meal and the food was tasty and nicely presented. Wines are quite expensive for Italy and the menu is a touch overpriced at €12 per course...but would and have returned since. Could be better if they could move with the times a bit more and lighten up the atmosphere and formality. For me though, the important bit - the food, they got right!

Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

Recipes are from the tradition, but with a bit of sophistication making them just awesome.
Pasta is high-end, modeled with gold-plated equipment; pumpkin ravioli were definitely to die for, the best of my life.

Definitely recommended to those who whish to try some local recipes with a good service and presentation and in a refined environment.

A plus: prices are very reasonable when compared to the quality of ingredients, preparation and service: my wife and I shared one dish of ravioli (aboundant although shared), each of us had a main course. The bill, including cofee and water, was around 50 euro for the couple, and amount you would normally pay at a lower level trattoria

Reviewed September 24, 2012

On each of two prior visits to Gubbio, I had dined at Porta Tessenaca. That I went back not just once, but twice on this three day visit is recommendation in itself. For a start, the dining room is stylishly elegant in an historical, vaulted room and the tables are not crowded close together, so privacy is assured. But the food is the main reason for going.

On this trip I ate lunch there with a friend, and returned two nights later for dinner by myself. Both meals started with a complimentary serving of a creamed carrot soup containing nuggets of deep-fried pecorino cheese, served alongside a small cube of spinach and prosciutto flavored quiche spiced with Rosemary. The tiny portions were intensively flavored and set the pace for both meals.

At lunch I started with a salad of raddichio and basil mixed with slices of pear and shaved pecorino and some chopped walnuts, all drizzled with a honey-flavored dressing. So good was this salad that I ordered the same starter two nights later at dinner. For the lunch meal I followed with a dish of chopped nuggets of rabbit served in a pecorino and cream sauce. For the evening meal two days later, I followed the salad with a wild boar served in a reduction of Sagrantino wine sauce, together with a side dish of roasted potatoes served with a drizzle of olive oil and Rosemary. The boar was succulent and very memorable.

In both instances, I had Colpetrone Rosso Montefalco 2005 which is available by the glass.

Even in Umbria, where a high standard of cuisine is the norm, Porta Tessenaca stands out as an especially fine dining experience. I will certainly return to this excellent restaurant.