“great local food”

Osteria dei Re
Ranked #7 of 112 Restaurants in Gubbio
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
London, United Kingdom
“great local food”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

This is a small simple osteria in the centre of Gubbio, the enchanting medieval town near Perugia, in Umbria, Italy.
There are few dishes in the menu, all typical from the area, and the choice for non meat eaters is very limited.
However the few dishes are very interesting and tasty. I know because between the four of us, we ordered almost 90% of the entire menu…
Brustengo, a word that even for us italians is unusual and obscure, is a sort of piadina made with fried dough, resembles a pancake in shape but it’s not a pancake, it’s more like a pan fried pizza dough.
It can folded, with the filling inside, or open, exactly like a pizza. The fillings can vary, cheese, cold cuts, tomato sauce, mushrooms.
It’s very tasty, like all things fried.
However my recommendation is for the “Cotiche e Fagioli” stew.
This is an old fashioned italian dish (it can be found more or less in every region), and it’s a “poor” people type of dish, don’t expect this in posh a-la-mode restaurants (unless some w* chef has created a “variation”).
It’s a bean stew with pork skin in tomato sauce.
Yes it’s pork skin, that the “cotica” (singular), hence the “cotiche” (plural).
For all the stews lovers, don’t miss it!

The owner prides his wine list, but I can’t comment, we don’t drink.
Good service, friendly owner, easy going.
Cheap and great quality.

Website:

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank logube

Amsterdam
“Good Lunch at a nice square”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Just order a the mixed anitpasti and have a relaxed seat at the nice square.
Colli del Trasimeno (bianco secco) or Corsendonk 0,75 ?

Visited July 2012
San Francisco
“What a nice change”
Reviewed May 18, 2012

We have been in Italy for 6 weeks, and of course love the food. We eat at home mostly, but when we go out, we find even seemingly neighborhood places end up being pricey.

What a nice change at Osteria de Re; it was a treat to have somthing different than the usual pasta and meat. The quality was delicious, we liked the instruction on how to eat the assorted plate, we had enough to take home left overs and we left with paying under 40 euros. The half carafe of wine, which was fine, was only 6 Euros.

The staff was friendly. It's a popular place, and we didn't have a reservation, but we were there on the early side, and they were gracious about giving us a table.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank ViaggiatoreSF
Jonestown, Pennsylvania
“Best Budget Dining Option in Gubbio”
Reviewed April 5, 2012

There is no shortage of high end,high priced places to eat in Gubbio.I wanted to eat at the Re my first night in town,but they were closed (Wed). They have a chalk board with many daily specials in Italian,and a menu in English.Not much English spoken in this place.I was seated upstairs,which is a small room with maybe 20 seats,the more choice seating would be in the basement,where they have two rooms with vaulted ceilings. I did see Zuppa de Farro a classic Umbrian/Tuscan grain soup listed on the board.They had a very good version of it here,in a large bowl.I made the mistake of ordering the appetizer sampler for myself,It was served on a large round platter,lots of good stuff.I am a big guy,but I was stuffed beyond belief after finishing that off. A 1/2 litre of very good casa vino rossa was only 4 euro. I was very impressed with this place,and wished that I could have eaten another meal there. I could have eaten two meals at this place,for what I spent at the high end place the first night.

• Visited May 2011
2 Thank Dan F
Deventer, The Netherlands
“The real thing”
Reviewed June 15, 2011

We had a tip from a woman in a shop after requesting a place to eat where the neighborhood people come to enjoy authentic Umbrian food. We loved every mouthful!
From the delicious risotto with asparagus and prosciutto to the sausages from Norcia on Torto al Testo....heaven. Reasonable prices, neighborhood feeling, go there and enjoy!

• Visited June 2011