“Wow! Worth going out of your way for!”

In Campagna Cooking Classes
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Share a day with an Italian family. Join Letizia for a half day, hands-on cookery course in her restored farmhouse in the Umbrian countryside. The cooking classes offer an informal, friendly blend of modern and traditional Italian cooking techniques using ingredients that are fresh and in season. Lessons include a free market tour with gourmet tasting, the class, held in the farmhouse professional kitchen and plenty sampling of the delicious food prepared by the students. The cooking school has received enthusiastic reviews in Tripadvisor as well as press in several publications like E.g. Food and Wine magazine, National Geographic and BBC TV.
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I honestly can't say enough about our day. We started with olive oil, salami, cheese, balsamic and truffle tasting. That should have been enough except that we moved on to Letizia's beautiful place where we had wine and juice on the terrace overlooking the hills of Assisi. When she was ready for us in the kitchen, she had everything ready, including her patience. We made homemade spinach ravioli with zucchini and ricotta filing (in a lemon honey sauce YUM). We made spaghetti with leftover pasta dough with a tomato sauce and finished the meal with melon panna cotta. I have made pasta before and learned a TON on what I could do to improve my techniques (I had never stuffed pasta before so that was new). Our children spent hours working on the meal and still maintained their interest until the end. Our family gives this experience 8 thumbs up and has voted it the top experience of our 7 week European holiday. Thanks Letizia!!

Reviewed August 8, 2013

I could rewrite the review of A Don't Miss Experience below but I really could not agree more and write it any better.
I would add that if you are lucky enough to take a cooking class w Letizia Mattiacci @ Madonna del Piatto, it will be a most unforgettable experience even if you're a serious cook because it's way more then a cooking class! Letizia welcomes you into her own kitchen and shows you how to make a 4 course meal from scratch. She does it with a great sense of humor and respect for the beautiful fresh ingredients. If you want to really understand food in Italy and especially the Umbrian region's richness and simplicity, you MUST take this class!!!

2  Thank Sao713
Reviewed July 20, 2013

My husband and I recently traveled to Italy and wanted an authentic cooking class experience. We wanted to be in a beautiful countryside setting and learn to make authentic Italian cuisine from scratch. If this is your criteria as well then look no further. Letizia's class was exactly what we were looking for. We met her, along with another couple, at her favorite shop in the village. There we had cheese, ham, olive oil and balsamic tasting that were not only delicious but educational as well.

From there we traveled up the mountain, to her home. The views are simply breathtaking! She then invited us into her kitchen, where we learned to make panacotta, ravioli and fetuccini with tuna and tomatoes. We then enjoyed the meal we all prepared together, along with a delicious bottle of wine, while enjoying her beautiful patio with it's breathtaking views.

Letizia is a charming, intelligent, knowledgeable cook. She is also a wonderful hostess. Since returning home she has quickly answered any questions I've had in regard to preparing her recipes. Our only regret is that we didn't stay at her bed and breakfast. I could have stayed for her cooking classes for days and days. Truly the highlight of our two week trip to Italy!

Reviewed June 26, 2013

Everything about our day with Letizia was wonderful. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit to the food and wine shop, Terra Umbria, where we tasted and learned about Italian olive oil, balsamic vinegar, cheese and sausages. Delicious. Then on to her beautiful home with the most incredible view of Assisi and the surrounding area. We drank delicious wine, learned to make pasta and sauces and the easiest and most delicious panna cotta. We enjoyed meeting and cooking with our fellow students. Sitting on Letizia's patio and eating all the incredible food we made was so very special. I wish I could do it again.

1  Thank Diabu
Reviewed May 25, 2013

My girlfriends and I spent the day with Letzia taking a cooking class. We had the most wonderful time! When I returned home I went out to buy a pasta machine and started making everything we learned. I would highly recommend spending the day with Letzia!!!

1  Thank Tamre S