“Great hotel!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #46 of 72 Hotels in Assisi
San Marcos, Texas
“Great hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

We stayed at the Roma Hotel just after Easter. The room was remarkably spacious and very clean. We had a fantastic view of the convent and plaza, which was a center of activity during the day and evenings. It was not the quietest room, which was fine for us as a traveling family with young kids. Breakfasts were tasty and the staff were very friendly and accommodating. There is a restaurant (around the corner) that they were associated with. It was really excellent also. If you enjoy being right in the middle of a small, busy town I highly recommend going for the room with a view.

Room Tip: The street facing room was large, with an incredible view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ouchcomics

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

Our taxi driver brought us to this place when the operator of Il Fosso Delle Darceri went missing when we arrived at the apartment. So we were very relieved when we found another place to stay the night at Assisi. Our room had nice wooden flooring and large bathroom although the king size bed, comprising 2 twin beds placed side by side, sagged slightly. The room was stuffy and the fan was noisy so that kind of disturbed our sleep as well. On a more positive note, location of the hotel was superb and the staff was very helpful. It was raining and cold when we found this place late in the evening and we were grateful for the restaurant recommendation from the staff.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Escazu, Costa Rica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

This was the best hotel we stayed on during our auttum european trip. Assisi is a very small town, so any location within the historic side ('Parte di Sopra') is an excellent location to go and discover the franciscan city. This hotel is right in front of St Clare Basilica, and within walking distance to the bus stop that will take you to and from Santa Maria degli Angeli and the railway station.

A very clean hotel, with an outstandingly helpful staff (kudos also to Bruno, our cab driver), The premises themselves prove to be a haven after the freezing wind and the roaring storm we faced coming back from Santa Maria degli Angeli and losing our bus stop.

It was the only hotel with a nice wooden floor and very ample queen size beds, and heating and wi-fi worked perfectly. We did not take the breakfast because of a poor choice of a train schedule to Rome, but we read good reviews about it.

A final note: Assisi is a town you touristically dispatch in two days tops, so a single night should suffice.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank dyhtstriyk
Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

Hotel Roma is a tough one to evaluate. It is very well located, just in front of Saint Clair's Bazilica. The service is very good too. They are kind and helpfull. The breakfast was fair, with few options to eat, but their capuccino was fantastic. Since I was by myself, I got a single room that was just too little. The bathroom was tiny, with the toilet just about under the shower. But, for me, considering I was there alone just to pray, it was good enough.

Room Tip: The rooms of the front are a little noisy.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Mariana F
Utah
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

I have to admit, I'm second-guessing myself after reading all the four- and five-star reviews, but I can only tell you of my experience.

PROS:
1- It was very clean in every way.
2- The breakfast was full of variety, delicious and filling.
3- The location is superb--within walking distance from the carparks located outside of the city wall.
4- The free wi-fi worked with no problems whatsoever.

CONS:
1-They asked us to email our credit card number, which is unwise and unsafe, so they said we could do a bank transfer for part of the total estimated charge. My bank had a service fee for that and I transferred approximately €70 (over $90 US). They emailed me back saying they had not received it and would have to give up our room. So I called them to give them my credit card number which they then charged for the deposit amount. The next day they emailed me to say that the bank transfer had come through, but for only approx. €40. I'm not sure what happened there, but according to my bank, the value of the transfer is based on the exchange rate the day I made the transaction at MY bank, so my only assumption is that their bank made an error or someone is lying.
2-I had sent an extra €3 per day for the breakfast fee. When I checked in, they told me that breakfast was €5 per day. I had to show them the email they sent me stating that it was €3 in order for them to not charge me extra.
3- Their initial e-mail to me said "...ventilation conditioning/heating..." I should have realized that "ventilation conditioning" is not the same thing as air conditioning. Unfortunately, being on the top floor in July, our room was hot the entire time. We turned on the ceiling fan and left the window open, but the fan was quite noisy and it was always hot, day and night.
4- We would leave our window open at night, but there were many locals (or maybe a school group) playing football (soccer), singing, etc., in the large piazza in front of the Basilica every single night until quite late into the night. It was hard to get to sleep and we didn't want to close the window because we would roast.
5- The bathroom was so tiny. I don't quite know how to describe it (I'll attach a photo), but if you are standing at the sink, the toilet and bidet are immediately to your right and the shower controls and shower head are immediately behind you; the drain for the shower is directly below you. In other words, the shower is the entire bathroom. There is a shower curtain that you can close around you, but in that heat, once the water was turned on, the shower curtain would have immediately suctioned itself to your lower body. The thought of that was so repugnant, I chose to not shower for the few days I was there. (I spot-washed, but did not shower.)

Having said all this, a friend of mine stayed in the same hotel and said that he and his traveling companions were too cold at night, which I find almost unbelievable based on my experience. I guess my final advice is simply, be careful about what time of year you go. Hopefully you won't go in July. If it were in the wintertime, I would stay there again in a heartbeat, but my low rating reflects my July experience.

Room Tip: NOT on the top floor during the hot months.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

Wonderful location right across from St Clare Church in Assisi. However, its perfect location also means that it could be noisy if you have groups having activities at the Piazza outside St Clare.
15 mins easy walk to Basilica of St Francis. Excellent wifi connectivity if your room is near the router. Room has no AC but with a ceiling fan during cooler weather, it is still comfortable.

The hotel recommended us lunch/dinner at the family-owned restaurant Degli Orti which is less than 2mins walk from the Hotel. Go for it! We had our best meal there.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Banbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

Whilst this is not trendiest hotel to stay in, it is clean, comfortable, friendly. It is in a cracking location and it's breakfast options suit any appetite. Our room was large with a view of the Church of St Claire and the valley.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple