“Enjoyable Visit to Assisi” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hotel Ideale
Ranked #4 of 72 Hotels in Assisi
San Diego
“Enjoyable Visit to Assisi”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2012

We have stayed at Hotel Ideale for 5 trips now and it is one of our favorite Italian hotels. The grounds are lovely with lots of flowers and gardens. The patios are beautiful with amazing views - the perfect place to relax after a day of sight-seeing. Our rooms are always comfortable and this year we were able to get internet right from the room. Really a bonus. The breakfast room is bright and cheery and we always enjoy the cappucchinos they make for us. There is a generous spread of fruit, yoghurt, breads, cheese and meats. It is convenient to have the secure parking lot and the close proximity to the bus line. And just steps from the hotel is Finigan's Tavern, one of our all-time favorite Italian restaurants. The staff of the hotel has always been wonderful. They have helped us with lost luggage and other issues over the years. Although we are in Assisi for business, our stay at Ideale is definitely like a vacation for us. Assisi is one of favorite Italian cities and Ideale is one of our favorite Italian hotels.

Room Tip: We like the room across from the main building, down some steps. It is quiet and has views from two...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Adelaide, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2012

This hotel enjoys one of the loveliest locations in Assisi: perched on the edge of the hilltop offering gorgeous views, while also keeping you close to all the sights you'll want to see in town. Plus, it's very reasonably priced. For these positives, I'm rating the Hotel Ideale as "Poor" rather than "Terrible."

However, it is also the case that in 33 years of international travel, this hotel has the worst, most downright nasty management I have ever encountered. The comments noting the unfriendliness of the staff--a mother and father in their 60s and two daughters in their 30s--just begin to give you a sense of what you're likely to encounter at the Hotel Ideale. Maybe I just caught them on a bad couple of days, but I will never forget the following:

* Being left in the pouring rain to manage luggage, baby and elderly mother from parking lot to hotel entrance by myself, while the hotel owner watched
The father of the family that owns the hotel saw me drive into the enclosed parking area of the Ideale, with a baby and my elderly mother in the car. He stood under the awning, with a huge umbrella next to him, and did not lift a finger to help. While the parking area is only about 50m from the hotel entrance--hardly a long distance under ordinary circumstances--it's far enough to get soaked making multiple trips, as is necessary to schlep a crying baby, a mother unsteady on her feet, and all our assorted baggage .
Given how friendly most people are in daily life in Italy, *particularly* to people with babies and to old people, this was extremely unusual behavior, and a sign of things to come. Reading other reviews of this hotel on TripAdvisor, I see that other people got help with their luggage (no mention if there were rain or babies involved). But when I got the first load of luggage in the door, the proprietor told me that "we do not offer this service [help with luggage] at this hotel." So I did it all myself while he watched.

* Having the owner's daughter scream at my mother and demand that I make my *mother* apologize for upsetting her
I have to preface this by stating that my mother is a diplomat by profession, as well as by disposition; far from being the sort of "ugly American" who alienates people, she is unfailingly charming. So the last thing I expected was to come down the stairs at checkout to find the woman at the front desk yelling at my mother. Since mother doesn't speak any Italian, the hotel owner's daughter (whose English was apparently failing her) slammed an Italian-English dictionary down on the checkout desk and demanded that my mother point out the words she was using so that she (the hotel owner's daughter) could understand. When the woman at the front desk saw me, she launched into a diatribe in Italian, which included statements like "your mother is not behaving herself" and "I demand an explanation!" It was the sort of dialogue you expect from a cartoon villain, not someone who is supposedly in the hospitality business. It was bizarre and shocking in the extreme. I've never seen anything like it.

* Being hustled for cash payment and early checkout
It turns out that the daughter of the owner was yelling at my mother because my mother tried to pay the bill with a credit card. The woman wanted cash. In fact, earlier that morning, when I had asked about how to settle the bill, she said "cash only." That's illegal in Italy, although I was not aware of that at the time. As it happened, I didn't have enough cash to cover the whole bill; when I let her know that, apologetically, she grudgingly said she could accept payment half in cash, half by credit card. Then she demanded quite aggressively that we be out of our room by 10:30am--no "could you please" but rather "you've got to leave." No effort at hospitality whatsoever. On the contrary, she had something much more akin to the attitude I've seen in post-Communist countries, in which the "service" person lets you know that s/he is doing you a *big* favor to acknowledge your existence and accept your payment. Again, totally bizarre.

These encounters were truly traumatic, ruining our Easter holiday and our whole trip to Assisi. It was really a shame, because the town is lovely and there was so much to enjoy there. But my sense is that Hotel Ideale has fallen prey to the easy money syndrome: because of their great location and reasonable prices, they don't have to make an effort to attract business; in fact, they can afford the luxury of treating customers like garbage. There are so few hotels right up on the hill in Assisi, and still fewer that are affordable, that they'll continue to get lots of business no matter how badly they behave. It's a shame, but such is life. For my mother's sake, and for the sake of my family's ruined holiday, I felt obliged to write down what happened.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
12 Thank Aurelia L
Cedar Falls, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2012

Our room (and I think most of the rooms) have an amazingly beautiful view over the town and the valley. We brought our lunch and ate on the little balcony enjoying the view; it was even prettier in the evening. They have a lovely courtyard which we enjoyed.

The service, unfortunately, was not so good. The lady who checked us in made little effort to go out of her way to help us like most hotels do. The service at breakfast also was loud and unfriendly, though the food was fine. When we corresponded by email making the reservations, little information was provided about how to get there. The rooms are very small but nicely updated. The price was very reasonable.

The location is convenient, very close to the end of the bus stop coming from the train station, and they have their own private parking lot if you're driving.

Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Vancouver, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2012

We arrived at the Hotel Ideale at a few minutes after five PM. The front desk was staffed by a mature gentleman who could speak no english and seemed perterbed that we interuppted his day. About the only thing he said to us was "Passports please". He then took us to our room, opened the balcony door, laid the key on the table and walked out. I would encourage this man to remember that he is in the hospitality bussiness and to be a little more gracious to his guests.

The next morning at breakfast, he seemed to be in a better mood. He might have been the owner or manager. Despite the lack of hospitality, the hotel has great views of the countryside, clean rooms and a nice breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank mrob1515
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed staying at this hotel. Rooms were clean, cosy and comfortable and had a very nice view of the valley. The family was very welcoming and helped us with luggage when we arrived. The breakfast was excellent and overall we thought the service was very genuine and thoughtful. We stayed for two nights and loved the fact that it was a very short walk to the main attractions.

Would highly recommend this hotel for a comfortable and friendly experience.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank mariawong123
Columbus, Ohio, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

My husband and I stayed in Hotel Ideale in 2002 before we knew about Trip Advisor. We found it through Rick Steve's book on Italy. The location is great and the breakfast was substantial. Good value for our money! Location, location, location! It is rated the fifth most popular hotel in Assisi now and we agree with the high rating!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Ruston, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2011

Unfortunately, we were only able to stay one night at the Hotel Ideale so when we return to Italy we will make arrangements to stay there again and we seldom stay at the same location twice. The hotel location was extremely convenient as it was across the street from the Matteotti bus stop. The hotel and our room and had lovely views over the town to the valley below which was especially nice as had a large balcony. Our room was nice and clean and in very good condition. The breakfast was European and in a nice setting. It was a short and pleasurable walk to the cathedral with every street being picturesque. The price was reasonable and I would suggest this hotel to anyone visiting Assisi. I hope your stay will be as enjoyable as ours.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view as our view was spectacular.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple