Castello di Petrata
Hotel Umbra(Assisi)
$118
$133
$122
Hotel La Terrazza & SPA(Assisi)
$80
$113
  • Room Service
$112
$93
$117
  • Breakfast included
Valle Di Assisi, BW Premier Collection(Santa Maria degli Angeli)
$119
Hotel Ideale(Assisi)
$129
$118
$378
$328
Orbitz.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewswell maintained gardensbase to explorebreathtaking viewsfood and winecomfortable roomsceiling fanpeaceful placestayed nightsfamily runa great place to stayantipastihillumbrialavendercleanersrelaxationloungers
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Castello di Petrata is a charming small castle perched high on the hills of beautifl Assisi. The staff are warm and welcoming. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff. The gardens are a delight to walk around, plenty of deck chairs by the pool and little nooks to hideaway and take in the breathtaking scenery. The rooms are large and rustic with beautiful furnishings. The food is excellent, with breakfast the same. There is plently of parking. I would definately consider staying here again. Well done.

Room Tip: Any room would be good. There is beautiful scenery at every angle.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Idyllic location in the hills above Assisi. We had a very warm welcome and gained the impression immediately that the management and staff could not do enough to make our stay comfortable and memorable. Good facilities at the hotel despite it being a converted medieval building. Exceptionally clean. Breakfast was impressive for continental standards and should even please USA visitors. Beautifully maintained gardens. Opportunity for walking and cycling. There is WIFI and even able to access in our room. Tea and coffee making facilities in our room.
Finding the hotel is easy – approaching from the West on the ss444 just as it appears you are underneath the first part of Assisi at the Ponte Grande – turn left off the road immediately before the bridge and keeping right there will be sign posting from the first part of this road to Castello di petrata.
Assisi which can be easily accessed by car. It is best to park in the main car park below the town and get the elevator up to the old town – parking is not expensive.

Room Tip: It is worthwhile paying extra for the Junior Suite – the room is large.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GerryO09
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Castello Petrata is fantastic. We stayed there four nights and visited Assisi and trekked the surrounding countryside. Very friendly staff, who go out of their way to make sure you are comfortable. Great food -creative and healthy. They even made us and a Dutch couple special dishes (my Malaysian wife was missing rice, so they made a rice dish!) on request.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I recently reserved a room for two nights in this very inviting looking hotel. The prices were execllent and the pictures looked divine. I was attracted by its proximity to hiking trails in the area. I decided to go with a tour group with included hotels instead. According to the English instructions I was required to give a 10 day notice to cancel reservations and there would be "no charge for cancellations if before 10 days of arrival." In English the caution went on to say that if the reservation were cancelled without a 10 day notice then a one day stay would be charged and this didn't include the 30% deposit.
The order of this caution was different in Italian. In Italian, you are told that there is no charge for for cancellations received with a 10 day notice but this didn't include the 30% deposit!
Where I come from, no charge means no charge! I ended up paying 70 Euro for a room I had cancelled 11 days before.
So my advice is don't make a reservation here unless you are absolutely positive that you will go and that you will stay for the whole period. My reservation was only for two nights. If I had reserved for a week, the deposit would have been 30% of the total stay. I may,however, use this deposit to reserve a room at some time in the future. Yeah, right.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank letsgoOttawa
giuseppina35, Proprietario at Castello di Petrata, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Dear Mrs,
I will only respond to his comment with our cancellation policy that you have read and agreed to the time when the reservation was made through our website:
Cancellation Policy: No charge for cancellations if before 10 days of arrival (excluding the deposit of 30% of the total amount,), 1 day charge in the others cases. In all other cases will be required to balance the first night's stay for the price of the official rates.
NB: In the case of bridges, holidays, or reserving packages proposed by the charge structure in case of cancellation or no show, full amount will be booked
I suggest you read correctly the information relating to the cancellation policies before making any booking. You by email has also authorized the withdrawal of the amount from your credit card as a deposit.
It does not seem right to receive a comment so negative towards us when we simply applied the cancellation policies of an ordinary hotel that requires capparra. Among other things, this deposit can be reused for future stays.
Regards

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Depending on what is important to you this hotel is great or not so much. First the hotel is not in Assisi. It is about a 20 minute drive because of the small gravel road to get there and back. It made me very nervous going there - the road did not bother my husband at all. When we got there I was very happy to find out that while it was an old castel it had been completely renovated - so basically everything was brand new and spotless. Even the stuff that looked old. Our room was on the third floor - so if stairs are a problem for you ask for a lower floor. The room looked way better in real life then in the photos. Sheets were either brand new or starched. White and very clean. The view was wonderful though the window was small.

My first dissapointment was the internet - they had indicated that wifi was included. This was very important to me because I like to call my children back in the states via the computer. They offered to let me check my email on their computer - but this did not really solve the problem. There was no internet the entire weekend. This was one of the things that I require when I book a room. So if this is important to you beware. The next thing was my husband walked into the room and said - look there is a computer - no it was actually a tv that had a screen smaller then our home computer. It also had NO stations in English - not even CNN. We wanted to watch the news - considering the events in North Korea and were not able to do this. Now if you are looking for a quiet country escape you may consider these non-issues.

We ate the first evening in the dining room. We were not that hungry and I did not want to go down the hill again in the dark. This was one of the most expensive meals for our three weeks in Italy and we got way less. My husband only ordered an anti pasta of meats and cheese. I ordered one main course - that included a very small potato. Then we had one bottle of water and one glass of wine and it was 50 euro. I was also not impressed with the menu selection - quail and rabbit - which once again for some might be a plus - for us not so good.

We went to bed and the tempature was good and the room was quiet. The next morning when I got up to shower - the water was hot and the towels were big. They did not have cream rinse and I called down to ask and they did not offer any. I was brought an olive oil shampoo that actually worked well - but my hair is at my shoulders now - not sure how it would have worked if my hair was longer. Easy fix bring some from another hotel or from home.

Breakfast was served until 1030 - which for my husband was a challenge - but I went down at 10 and they left everything open for him. There was a nice selection as far as Italy goes. Ie ham, cheese, yogert, lots of breads, cakes, fruit, and juices. The woman worked very hard to make my coffee the way I am use to at home - though it took a little work to explain what nofat meant - we finally got and interpreter and got it worked out. The woman in the breakfast coffee area was very pleasant and helpful.

The grounds were beautiful and the parking was easy.

On Sunday when I went to check out they gave me a bill for the entire amount. I was frustrated because I thought I had prepaid for the room and had an email that said as much. After a number of phone calls and about 20 minutes they indicated that this had not been done even though the email said so. I called American Express and was able to verify this. Problem was it was time consuming and frustrating when we thought we were going to drop our key and be on our way.

Final answere good and bad - depending on what is important to you.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Beth W
giuseppina35, Proprietario at Castello di Petrata, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Good morning,
Thanks for the review written and the beautiful words written on our Castle.

I reply to your review just to clarify some things that do not respond to reality. The castle is 6 km from Assisi (10 min) and the way you have done is wrong, you use Tripadvisor... just read the other reviews to understand that there are two roads, one wrong and correct.

- Your room is not on the third floor simply because the castle has only 1st and 2nd floor. You were made to see two rooms a 1st and a 2nd floor and you chose the one on the 2nd.

- The wi-fi in the hotel works correctly in all the rooms, it's your computer that had problems connecting, all of our clients in the hotel have quietly used the wi-fi. I do not understand why your problem has become our problem, the reception is not a shop that repairs computers and has proposed to use our computer!

- The television in the room has 5 foreign channels (CNN, BBC, ZDF, TV5, France 24) was enough to press on the control 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ..... do not stop at number 9. This fact was never communicated anything to the reception immediately explained that I would like to do!

- Regarding cream rides do not know what to say, a complimentary toiletes in the room is not a beauty salon that contains different products depending on the length or type of hair, they are dirty or clean! There are high-quality products that can accommodate the needs of most of our guests!

- Concerning dinner you consumed:

1 selection of meats and cheeses regional
1 pasta with truffles
1 braised veal with potatoes
2 dessert
water
wine

If this meal is not worth 25 euro per person ......

On our menu includes vegetarian dishes, gluten-free, there are quail and rabbits .... I do not know where to have seen them!

- With regard to the pre-payment of the room we have explained that your credit card AmericaExpress there has no authorized the payment. We sent you an email prior to your arrival and we were surprised when we on departure you remembered and did not understand. However, the AmericanExpress in 15 minutes you explained the reasons for not pre-payment.

I hope that reading this review I can understand the positive aspects and at the same time understand the confusion in some aspects of the story! However we need to improve our service!