“Be careful of the fine print!”

Castello di Petrata
Ranked #5 of 72 Hotels in Assisi
Ottawa
“Be careful of the fine print!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

I recently reserved a room for two nights in this very inviting looking hotel. The prices were execllent and the pictures looked divine. I was attracted by its proximity to hiking trails in the area. I decided to go with a tour group with included hotels instead. According to the English instructions I was required to give a 10 day notice to cancel reservations and there would be "no charge for cancellations if before 10 days of arrival." In English the caution went on to say that if the reservation were cancelled without a 10 day notice then a one day stay would be charged and this didn't include the 30% deposit.
The order of this caution was different in Italian. In Italian, you are told that there is no charge for for cancellations received with a 10 day notice but this didn't include the 30% deposit!
Where I come from, no charge means no charge! I ended up paying 70 Euro for a room I had cancelled 11 days before.
So my advice is don't make a reservation here unless you are absolutely positive that you will go and that you will stay for the whole period. My reservation was only for two nights. If I had reserved for a week, the deposit would have been 30% of the total stay. I may,however, use this deposit to reserve a room at some time in the future. Yeah, right.

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank letsgoOttawa
giuseppina35, Proprietario at Castello di Petrata, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Mrs,
I will only respond to his comment with our cancellation policy that you have read and agreed to the time when the reservation was made through our website:
Cancellation Policy: No charge for cancellations if before 10 days of arrival (excluding the deposit of 30% of the total amount,), 1 day charge in the others cases. In all other cases will be required to balance the first night's stay for the price of the official rates.
NB: In the case of bridges, holidays, or reserving packages proposed by the charge structure in case of cancellation or no show, full amount will be booked
I suggest you read correctly the information relating to the cancellation policies before making any booking. You by email has also authorized the withdrawal of the amount from your credit card as a deposit.
It does not seem right to receive a comment so negative towards us when we simply applied the cancellation policies of an ordinary hotel that requires capparra. Among other things, this deposit can be reused for future stays.
Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
San Diego
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Depending on what is important to you this hotel is great or not so much. First the hotel is not in Assisi. It is about a 20 minute drive because of the small gravel road to get there and back. It made me very nervous going there - the road did not bother my husband at all. When we got there I was very happy to find out that while it was an old castel it had been completely renovated - so basically everything was brand new and spotless. Even the stuff that looked old. Our room was on the third floor - so if stairs are a problem for you ask for a lower floor. The room looked way better in real life then in the photos. Sheets were either brand new or starched. White and very clean. The view was wonderful though the window was small.

My first dissapointment was the internet - they had indicated that wifi was included. This was very important to me because I like to call my children back in the states via the computer. They offered to let me check my email on their computer - but this did not really solve the problem. There was no internet the entire weekend. This was one of the things that I require when I book a room. So if this is important to you beware. The next thing was my husband walked into the room and said - look there is a computer - no it was actually a tv that had a screen smaller then our home computer. It also had NO stations in English - not even CNN. We wanted to watch the news - considering the events in North Korea and were not able to do this. Now if you are looking for a quiet country escape you may consider these non-issues.

We ate the first evening in the dining room. We were not that hungry and I did not want to go down the hill again in the dark. This was one of the most expensive meals for our three weeks in Italy and we got way less. My husband only ordered an anti pasta of meats and cheese. I ordered one main course - that included a very small potato. Then we had one bottle of water and one glass of wine and it was 50 euro. I was also not impressed with the menu selection - quail and rabbit - which once again for some might be a plus - for us not so good.

We went to bed and the tempature was good and the room was quiet. The next morning when I got up to shower - the water was hot and the towels were big. They did not have cream rinse and I called down to ask and they did not offer any. I was brought an olive oil shampoo that actually worked well - but my hair is at my shoulders now - not sure how it would have worked if my hair was longer. Easy fix bring some from another hotel or from home.

Breakfast was served until 1030 - which for my husband was a challenge - but I went down at 10 and they left everything open for him. There was a nice selection as far as Italy goes. Ie ham, cheese, yogert, lots of breads, cakes, fruit, and juices. The woman worked very hard to make my coffee the way I am use to at home - though it took a little work to explain what nofat meant - we finally got and interpreter and got it worked out. The woman in the breakfast coffee area was very pleasant and helpful.

The grounds were beautiful and the parking was easy.

On Sunday when I went to check out they gave me a bill for the entire amount. I was frustrated because I thought I had prepaid for the room and had an email that said as much. After a number of phone calls and about 20 minutes they indicated that this had not been done even though the email said so. I called American Express and was able to verify this. Problem was it was time consuming and frustrating when we thought we were going to drop our key and be on our way.

Final answere good and bad - depending on what is important to you.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Beth W
giuseppina35, Proprietario at Castello di Petrata, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Good morning,
Thanks for the review written and the beautiful words written on our Castle.

I reply to your review just to clarify some things that do not respond to reality. The castle is 6 km from Assisi (10 min) and the way you have done is wrong, you use Tripadvisor... just read the other reviews to understand that there are two roads, one wrong and correct.

- Your room is not on the third floor simply because the castle has only 1st and 2nd floor. You were made to see two rooms a 1st and a 2nd floor and you chose the one on the 2nd.

- The wi-fi in the hotel works correctly in all the rooms, it's your computer that had problems connecting, all of our clients in the hotel have quietly used the wi-fi. I do not understand why your problem has become our problem, the reception is not a shop that repairs computers and has proposed to use our computer!

- The television in the room has 5 foreign channels (CNN, BBC, ZDF, TV5, France 24) was enough to press on the control 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ..... do not stop at number 9. This fact was never communicated anything to the reception immediately explained that I would like to do!

- Regarding cream rides do not know what to say, a complimentary toiletes in the room is not a beauty salon that contains different products depending on the length or type of hair, they are dirty or clean! There are high-quality products that can accommodate the needs of most of our guests!

- Concerning dinner you consumed:

1 selection of meats and cheeses regional
1 pasta with truffles
1 braised veal with potatoes
2 dessert
water
wine

If this meal is not worth 25 euro per person ......

On our menu includes vegetarian dishes, gluten-free, there are quail and rabbits .... I do not know where to have seen them!

- With regard to the pre-payment of the room we have explained that your credit card AmericaExpress there has no authorized the payment. We sent you an email prior to your arrival and we were surprised when we on departure you remembered and did not understand. However, the AmericanExpress in 15 minutes you explained the reasons for not pre-payment.

I hope that reading this review I can understand the positive aspects and at the same time understand the confusion in some aspects of the story! However we need to improve our service!
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

My husband and I spent the last leg of our honeymoon at the Castello di Petrata and it was perfect! After the hustle and bustle of several cities, the quiet surroundings of the Castello made it a great wind-down.
The Castello is about a 15 minute taxi ride from the center of Assisi but the staff called us a taxi driver (Gianpaolo) who gave us a realy good rate!
At the castello, we enjoyed wandering around the beautiful grounds and booked the "Spa Exclusive" which gave us 2 hours all to ourselves in the spa for just 50 euros apiece.
We also enjoyed the "Wine Dinner" offered at the hotel which served 4 delicious wines paired with 4 courses. I'd recommend the wine dinner, especially since it was actually a better deal than just a normal dinner at the castello.
All the staff was extremely friendly and accommodating and, if we ever travel to Assisi again, we will definitely be staying here!

Room Tip: We liked our room that had a window facing Assisi for beautiful sunrise/sunset views!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lauren R
LA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

If you're looking for a place IN Assisi, then this is not for you. However, if you want a charming experience with impeccable service, then this is the perfect place to stay. The Castello is a beautifully restored 14th century castle situated on a hill with breathtaking views of Assisi, the sea, and surrounding country. The staff is incredibly friendly and attentive - we almost felt like we were taking advantage of their hospitality. Would we stay here again? Absolutely!!!!!!

Room Tip: Every room is beautiful with period furnishings and you can't go wrong with any room you choose...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

We recently stayed for 2 days.A great place to relax and have some local wine.Beautiful plantings around property.Staff was friendly and helpful.Lovely breakfast provided.However we were disappointed in our dinner.Food quality could be improved on.Close to Spello and Assisi which we really enjoyed.Overall a very nice experience and would visit again and recommend to family and friends.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Winter Park, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Castello di Petrata for two nights while visiting Assisi last week. We arrived late, (due to extending a day trip in Florence) but the staff was accomodating. We were given a quick tour of the hotel and decided to have dinner in the dinning rom. We started with a local wine which was excellent ($25 euro) and our dinners were great. Even though we were late and the only patrons in the dining room, our server didn't rush us and we enjoyed the peaceful nature of the setting.
Our room was located in the "Watch Tower" (room 105) and I don't know what other rooms have for a view but this one was spectacular. We had a view of Assisi and through the valley that was awesome in the morning.
The following morning, we had to leave early however they opened the breakfast to us early. The breakfast was diverse and offered local meats and cheese too. The pastry they bake with their marmalade I would highly recommend!
The road to get there is a lightly traveled country road with a fair increase in elevation. The signs are clear and lead you to the entrance. We couldn't locate the actual street address on the GPS but the web site map was good enough to get us to the turn from the major road. Returning to the Castello in the dark we even encountered a large boar crossing the road!
We used the Trip Advisor discount and saved 60 Euro. I have already recommended Castelllo di Petrata to some family members who are planning a trip next summer. If we have the opportunity to return to Assisi/Umbria, I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Room 105 has a great view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

We stayed in the castle a few weeks ago and were blown away with the property. It was a beautiful place to relax and drink some great wines! But keep reading...

However - one of the nights, we went to the bar before dinner and asked for "two glasses of local white wine". They brought out a couple glasses and we drank over an appetizer which was offered to us (not off a menu but more conversationally as most snacks are offered with wine in Italy). We came to find out upon check out that this wine and appetizer ran us EUR48.

After that - we sat for a nice dinner in the restaurant. While the restaurant was nice and the food "looked" gourmet, overall the food fell flat. Not much flavor and very small portions. I say this as a connesuire of fine foods - not expecting oversized portions but these were light even for fine dining's expectations. Ultimately, the dinner ran us EUR85, including a €25 bottle of wine... And we left the table hungry.

Overall - I would recommend as a relatively low cost option to stay in a "storybook" setting in Italy. However, I would not bring my appetite, nor would I expect to have a food option available on property which matches the price point of the room.

Oh, and I might want to also mention (to echo other reviews) that it is located quite off the beaten path and once you are up there, there really is no option to "buzz into town" for a bite and head back.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
giuseppina35, Proprietario at Castello di Petrata, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear Rangie,

you have spent a night in the castle. when you arrive you have a seat in the room and then you come to the bar.
You asked for two glasses of white quality wine 'nd you have been served at a cost of 8 euro per glass (as it appears on our wine list by the glass), once you have completed required .... other two had evidently been to your liking .
I asked, given the quality 'wine by the glass and the cost, if you prefer have that anticipating a new bottle and then finish it during dinner. You said you thought it could be convenient (and so was). You asked for some snacks and I have served a plate with 4 different types of sliced and various types of cheese that I always accompany any drink. it was an appetizer.
Total: 8 * 2 = 16.00 euro + 32.00 euro (bottle of wine) = 48 euros (snacks is included)
It is not true that two glasses of wine with a snack at 48 euro (you forgot the other bottle then you're done with dinner :-)
For the restaurant I'm sorry that it was not the height of your expectations, we always try to do the best for our customers, even if it 's the first negative comment we receive on the portions, no' never raised with hunger ....... the amount 'of our courses are not absolutely miserable.
I would like to detail your dinner:
2 covered 3.50 * 2 = 7.00 euro
bottle of wine of your choice carte 22.00 euro
1 crusted lamb with spaghetti of vegetables 20.00 euro
1 potato gnocchi with zucchini, zucchini flowers, smoked cheese and barbozza 13:00
roll of chicken with spinach and sour 17:00
1 Water 2:50
total: € 81.50
Tripadvisor is a very useful tool for travelers, it would be right to give truthful information and the more' precise as possible about the prices and services and meals. not by the merits of the quality 'of the food and the portions because the judgment and' personal and in any case it helps us to grow and improve.
greetings