“They Cancelled our Room and wouldn't make good on our reservation!”

San Crispino Historical Mansion
Ranked #24 of 139 Assisi B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 21, 2010

we were so excited to go stay here.. great location and beautiful looking mansion.. the day before our scheduled arrival.. we got an email saying there was a problem with their broiler and they had to cancel our room. they offered us a room at their "country" location which supposedly was only 3 miles from town. we were only to be in assisi for one night, so locaiton was CRUCIAL to our stay.. they offered to provide transport back and forth so we agreed to try.. we arrived at the new country hotel and it was just ok. the room was half the size of what we booked, no views and 15 full minutes from town.. and the manager wouldn't even get on te phone with me to discuss options. they still wanted to charge us the same price and only offered a free dinner at a fixed menu restaraunt as an apology. Our feeling ws that they should've comped our stay... since it was sooo inconvient and NOT what we booked.. they didn't agree, wouldn't have the courtesy to tell us directly and in my opinion... did VERY bad business. they would rather have a room empty then provide good customer service to people they displaced. thankfully we found a GREAT hotel in town that gave us an amazing suite with gorgeous views of Umbria.. for the same price! Hotel Giotti... I'm bummed about the Mansion. Stay away.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Michele C
There are newer reviews for San Crispino Historical Mansion

Reviewed March 27, 2010

We loved our stay in the Brother Wind Suite at San Crispino. Our hostess, Alessandra, was especially sweet; and our room was large, quiet, and comfortable. It was fun opening our windows to see and hear the bells of Santa Chiara church and see the beautiful view. It was an easy walk to the Moiano car parking garage, although it probably would have been easier to unload the luggage right near the front entrance. The shower was small, but we've found that's pretty standard in Europe. The breakfast down the alley at the Domus Cafe was really nice. It was fun walking all over the pretty town of Assisi, and the view from the Rocca tower (although sometimes a pretty steep walk) was a very nice view of the town. We arrived at the Francesco church at 7:30 in the morning. It was nice exploring the church before the crowds (although the upper part of the church didn't open until 8). We loved eating at Palotta (really good food at reasonable prices). This was a nice change after the fun (and crowds) of Rome.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CaliforniaElizabeth
Reviewed October 20, 2009

I stayed in the Sister Moon and Stars suite with my wife on our honeymoon. The research I did told me that this was the most unique and beloved hotel in Assisi, which is in my eyes, the most unique and my most beloved city in Italy.

As you might imagine, my expectations were rather high for this hotel, as it was something of the splurge on our Italian journey. I was in no way disappointed. The most serious criticism my wife and I could muster was that we did not like how the shampoo shelf in the shower swung and did not stay in place. If this is any indication, the room was outstanding.

When I made the reservation, this room was recommended to me by Fabiola, who handles the booking and majority of the service at the small hotel. She assured me that it was the most romantic, as it has a breathtaking private garden. Let me say that Fabiola, who possesses the vibrance of a Brazilian and warmth of an Italian, was in every way correct. In fact, she singlehandedly made this he most enjoyable and restful portion of our trip.

Included with the vaulted room (gorgeously hand painted), the living room with a dining table, and the private garden, was a lavish Italian style breakfast at the Domus cafe, maybe one hundred feet down the street. There, Dante served us our breakfast and morning cappuccinos (definitely the best of our time in Italy, and we drank at least three a day for several weeks). Again, nothing was spared to make this experience simultaneously lavish and homey.

In my twenty seven years I have traveled extensively and stayed in many dozens of hotels internationally. Never have I enjoyed a more beautiful setting, warmer welcome, more stunning view, or sweeter all around time in any place as I tasted here.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jonathandavidtaylor
Reviewed July 7, 2009

My wife and two small children stayed an evening here while visiting Assisi and it was the best stop during our European vacation. The staff speaks very good English and was very helpful and friendly. Our room was the Beatitudo Suite, with a double bed on the floor and two small beds in a loft where our children slept. If you're traveling with children, this is the room you want. They say this has access to a "small garden," but it's actually a very large, and very beautiful, yard that overlooks the valley. If you book this room you are the only once with access, and it's walled so your children cannot "run away" while you're not looking. It's in an excellent spot and the breakfast was very filling, by American standards. I highly recommend this hotel. The hotel is hard to get to, though, by car and I suggest listening to the hotel's advice about parking in the nearby underground public parking lot. It's very clean and only a 10-minute walk (but you should drive by the hotel first and drop off your luggage since that 10-minute walk turns to a 30-minute walk if your pulling your suitcase up those old staircases that lead up the hill to the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank pbryars
Reviewed October 6, 2008

We were in the Brother Wind suite for 3 nights. It was spacious comfortable and very clean with lovely views of Santa Chiara church and the valley.

The staff who are there for a limited period during the day are very nice.

There is free internet/computers in every room as well as a tiny kitchen unit & espresso machine.

They now have a charming breakfast room about 50 yards away from the residence.

We liked it very much except that the shower was tiny. It was difficult for me to get into & my husband who is 6' 3" could barely move when he was inside it. The staff advised that all the shower units were that size & the suites with baths were booked.

We went to four other hotels to see if we could get a better room/bathroom. And so I can safely say that there is a shortage of good hotels in Assisi and that the San Crispino is the best in town.

Be warned though it is a steep walk of at least 10mins to or from San Francesco church - although the piazza di popolo & it's restaurants & cafes is very close.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank talkative
Reviewed September 15, 2008

Beautiful Italian hotel suite in Assisi. There is no breakfast available, and it was somewhat hard to find, but the interior was italian all of the way, very beautiful in every detail, and very inviting. Instead of going out to dinner, we brought dinner in to enjoy it. We had the 'mother earth' room.

Stayed: May 2008
Reviewed January 18, 2008

Assisi – San Crispino

This was a one night stay for three of us on a drive from Rome. It turned out to be excellent – the village was quiet as it was pre-Christmas and the shop owners in the cobblestone streets were happy to see us. It helped that it snowed overnight as the village was sparkling the next morning.

The room was tremendous – high ceilings, brickwork and a real charm to it. Our unit had a doorway onto stairs overlooking a garden and came equipped with a new LCD TV and internet.

Breakfast was left in the room the night before so was fairly limiting - cereal but no fresh bread, so we headed out for coffee and croissants to supplement it.

Well worth considering.

Stayed: December 2007
Also consider these accommodations in or near Assisi
Hotel Sorella Luna
Hotel Pax
Hotel Pax
#16 of 70 in Assisi
Garden Resort & Spa San Crispino

Been to San Crispino Historical Mansion? Share your experiences!